Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2022 25 LSV Options


Recommended Posts

A few new options I can think of:

The front “windscreen” seat for the bow

RGB lighting package (I do not think this was offered in 2021?)

Powered swim step 

Bow phone holders?

And apparently the flip up forward facing port side side seat is now an option vs standard. 
 

 

Link to post
14 hours ago, DFW said:

If you want to surf at low RPM I highly recommend the LT4.

B084DE88-3CEB-4367-8006-FEF15B2C63B8.thumb.jpeg.9eb7614e9234f660163a3a8cdc0eb85e.jpeg

While I agree that the LT4 is very nice,  it can be hard to justify (granted that may not matter to most buying this boat) unless you are at high elevation.  I recently ordered a 2022 25 LSV and struggled with the M6Di vs LT4 question.  I wanted the LT4, ended up going with the M6.  The demo boat had a M6 and we loaded it up (relatively speaking) and it got to wakeboard speed without any issue (which our current boat can't do).  We boat at about 800 ft above sea level.  The big issue for me was of course the 12K LT4 adder (at least going by memory I thought it was 12k, correct me if that is wrong) but even more so the octane requirement.  The boat will stay on our dock lift all season so we trailer it exactly twice a year.  We can only get 87 on the lake and it would take an hour round trip to load up and drive to a 93 octane pump.  Yes, I can use octane booster, and plan to to get to 91 for the M6 (even though the M6 will run at 87), but doing that and keeping that at 93 for the LT4 is more problematic I think (and I would be constantly worried about it dropping below 91).

Doing the math based on the gph I found at his site for the LT4 vs M6 for this boat, I estimate that the LT4 lower rpms could save maybe 2-3 gph on average.  Using the 3 gph number plus the cost of gas on the lake, it would take me about 1000 hours to break even using the LT4 (save 12k worth of gas).  So can't justify it from a cost perspective.

Like everyone else probably, I would have liked the LT4 for the will get up and go under any load condition, the go fast with the speed prop, etc. Frankly, if I could have easily gotten 93, or even 91 on the lake, I may have gone with it, but at 12k and 93 octane it may not be the best option for everyone at lower elevations.

Edited by familyfun
Link to post
16 hours ago, DFW said:

If you want to surf at low RPM I highly recommend the LT4.

B084DE88-3CEB-4367-8006-FEF15B2C63B8.thumb.jpeg.9eb7614e9234f660163a3a8cdc0eb85e.jpeg

Is that with standard prop or speed prop? I ordered standard prop and LT4 in our T250 coming next month. Our home lake is 6100’ . I’m hoping for low rpm’s like that 

Link to post
3 minutes ago, Livinlogs said:

Is that with standard prop or speed prop? I ordered standard prop and LT4 in our T250 coming next month. Our home lake is 6100’ . I’m hoping for low rpm’s like that 

After speaking with ACME i ordered the 3315 to go with the t250 and lt4, 18" prop, 16" pitch

Link to post

What's the gear ratio on the LT4 motor? On my 2017 25LSV with the Raptor 575 and 1.76 gear ratio, I ran a 17x19 prop and it did great fully loaded with ballast and a 650lb sack in the walkway. It came with a 17x17 prop and that turned way too many RPMs at surfing and hyrofoiling speeds. 

Link to post
8 hours ago, familyfun said:

While I agree that the LT4 is very nice,  it can be hard to justify (granted that may not matter to most buying this boat) unless you are at high elevation.  I recently ordered a 2022 25 LSV and struggled with the M6Di vs LT4 question.  I wanted the LT4, ended up going with the M6.  The demo boat had a M6 and we loaded it up (relatively speaking) and it got to wakeboard speed without any issue (which our current boat can't do).  We boat at about 800 ft above sea level.  The big issue for me was of course the 12K LT4 adder (at least going by memory I thought it was 12k, correct me if that is wrong) but even more so the octane requirement.  The boat will stay on our dock lift all season so we trailer it exactly twice a year.  We can only get 87 on the lake and it would take an hour round trip to load up and drive to a 93 octane pump.  Yes, I can use octane booster, and plan to to get to 91 for the M6 (even though the M6 will run at 87), but doing that and keeping that at 93 for the LT4 is more problematic I think (and I would be constantly worried about it dropping below 91).

Doing the math based on the gph I found at his site for the LT4 vs M6 for this boat, I estimate that the LT4 lower rpms could save maybe 2-3 gph on average.  Using the 3 gph number plus the cost of gas on the lake, it would take me about 1000 hours to break even using the LT4 (save 12k worth of gas).  So can't justify it from a cost perspective.

Like everyone else probably, I would have liked the LT4 for the will get up and go under any load condition, the go fast with the speed prop, etc. Frankly, if I could have easily gotten 93, or even 91 on the lake, I may have gone with it, but at 12k and 93 octane it may not be the best option for everyone at lower elevations.

The LT4 definitely needs 93 octane. We trailer, so availability is no issue. I was convinced the supercharged motor would burn more fuel than the M6, but am pleasantly surprised it doesn’t.

Our demo boat also had the M6/standard prop combination and I thought it did really really well. I think we would’ve been happy with that combination, like you said, I just wanted more…

We paid exactly 6% of the total delivered price for the LT4 upgrade. Given the price point in this new model I felt like that was quite reasonable.

 

Link to post
6 hours ago, Livinlogs said:

Is that with standard prop or speed prop? I ordered standard prop and LT4 in our T250 coming next month. Our home lake is 6100’ . I’m hoping for low rpm’s like that 

Speed prop, 620’ elevation.

Link to post
17 hours ago, DFW said:

The LT4 definitely needs 93 octane. We trailer, so availability is no issue. I was convinced the supercharged motor would burn more fuel than the M6, but am pleasantly surprised it doesn’t.

Our demo boat also had the M6/standard prop combination and I thought it did really really well. I think we would’ve been happy with that combination, like you said, I just wanted more…

We paid exactly 6% of the total delivered price for the LT4 upgrade. Given the price point in this new model I felt like that was quite reasonable.

 

Manual says 91 octane at a min, if it needs 93 I'm screwed!

Link to post
1 hour ago, Maas said:

Manual says 91 octane at a min, if it needs 93 I'm screwed!

That’s my bad, 91 is the correct number. It’s pretty easy to find 93 at the pump here in Texas.

Link to post
3 hours ago, DFW said:

That’s my bad, 91 is the correct number. It’s pretty easy to find 93 at the pump here in Texas.

Glad to hear it!  91 is the best gas i have around!

Link to post
18 hours ago, Maas said:

Glad to hear it!  91 is the best gas i have around!

Be careful there.  93 is the recommended (read target) octane.  According to the manual, 91 is in fact the min. The problem is that being below 91 (for the LT4) is reason for Malibu to deny an engine warranty.  While I don't have any person experience with them denying a claim for that reason, I seem to remember reading here that they will and have.  The issue is that the 91 at the pump might be 91, or maybe it is 90 or 89 from any given fill or depending how long it has sat in the gas station tank etc.  Also, my understanding is that octane degrades slightly fairly quickly on the order of weeks, not months.  With a 105 gallon tank, I would not be surprised if at some time the gas in the tank could be weeks old, in which case it could be under 91.

Now me personally, I have crap for luck so I worry about having the min in there.  If there is a 1% chance for something to happen that I could have avoided, I will be in that 1% guaranteed.  Now if I were you and had access to 91, I would do that and use octane booster to get it up to 92-93 to give some margin.  It will also increase your performance, but with the LT4 you don't really need that.

Edited by familyfun
Link to post

In the entire state of Colorado the highest you can get is 91 and it is just fine because of the higher elevation. 

Link to post
3 hours ago, Ccceric said:

In the entire state of Colorado the highest you can get is 91 and it is just fine because of the higher elevation. 

That is correct.  I did forget that.  At high elevations there is about a 2 point delta equivalency.

Link to post
On 10/13/2021 at 4:41 PM, familyfun said:

Be careful there.  93 is the recommended (read target) octane.  According to the manual, 91 is in fact the min. The problem is that being below 91 (for the LT4) is reason for Malibu to deny an engine warranty.  While I don't have any person experience with them denying a claim for that reason, I seem to remember reading here that they will and have.  The issue is that the 91 at the pump might be 91, or maybe it is 90 or 89 from any given fill or depending how long it has sat in the gas station tank etc.  Also, my understanding is that octane degrades slightly fairly quickly on the order of weeks, not months.  With a 105 gallon tank, I would not be surprised if at some time the gas in the tank could be weeks old, in which case it could be under 91.

Now me personally, I have crap for luck so I worry about having the min in there.  If there is a 1% chance for something to happen that I could have avoided, I will be in that 1% guaranteed.  Now if I were you and had access to 91, I would do that and use octane booster to get it up to 92-93 to give some margin.  It will also increase your performance, but with the LT4 you don't really need that.

Good advice there, thank you, i'll grab the gas from the local gas station 3 mins from the dock, i keep the boat out of the water, so the gas there will always be fresh, and i burn gas like an idiot, so i doubt any real amount will be sitting in the boat for any real duration.  

Link to post
On 10/13/2021 at 3:41 PM, familyfun said:

Be careful there.  93 is the recommended (read target) octane.  According to the manual, 91 is in fact the min. The problem is that being below 91 (for the LT4) is reason for Malibu to deny an engine warranty.  While I don't have any person experience with them denying a claim for that reason, I seem to remember reading here that they will and have.  The issue is that the 91 at the pump might be 91, or maybe it is 90 or 89 from any given fill or depending how long it has sat in the gas station tank etc. 

 

Whatever octane rating is shown at the pump should be the minimum by law I am pretty sure.  Now, could a low volume or particular station have an issue - sure I guess.  But most reputable stations you should be fine.  
 

 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...