Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mounting Tower Speakers on the side of the tower?

WakeBoatDad

5 hours ago, WakeBoatDad said:

Anyone try mounting the tower speakers on the side of the tower to increase headroom under the tower on Axis T22?

I have an older Bu with an XS tower...and the speakers mound on the side.  I'm tall so I appreciate not banging my head on tower speakers.  :-)  

For your boat, do you have one pair or two pair of speakers?  Do you have one pair of board racks?  I think if you have 1 pair of speakers and racks, this would be pretty easy to do.  The tube form on the leading edge of the axis tower seems to be consistent all the way around the tower from the pics I have seen.  And the board racks have two mounting locations so if you only have one pair of racks, use the lower mount point and that should keep everything clear of the relocated speakers.  The hardest part would be fishing the wire and drilling the tower, assuming you want to keep the speaker wire hidden for a factory look.  I assume the tube mount of the speaker can has some swivel/adjustment to keep them at the angle you want.  You might need to add a spacer or modify the angle between the can and the tower to get them to aim where you want them.  Good luck!

image.thumb.png.c9de6358e786b8959fe488d41c55495b.png

• 3 months later...
On 10/5/2021 at 2:21 AM, WakeBoatDad said:

Anyone try mounting the tower speakers on the side of the tower to increase headroom under the tower on Axis T22?

Yes, I did this in 2019 on my A22. Tower Speaker Box Build 

Description should give you the 80%. After 3 seasons I can tell you this is a total win of a design. There is 0 interference in the cabin or over the top of the tower. I haven't had any issues with the board rack interference either. ATM I am in the process of building a new set for Summer 2022. Different wood, new speakers, slightly better speaker angles and better finish, but exactly the same design. I'll post a pic when they are done in the spring. 

Feel free to PM me, happy to share what I did or had to deal with. 

• Like 1