Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

V drive whirring / whine normal in forward?

I'm not super annoyed with the noise but just want to get opinions on if it is normal or if I should be concerned.  I have a new to me 2013 VTX (Monsoon 350). My background is Mastercraft growing up (although haven't owned an inboard for 20 years now).  I do not remember the forward-in-gear idle noise being there in past inboards.  Of course there was always the whine of reverse but I don't remember a whine being there in forward.  So in my VTX the whine in reverse if very pronounced but expected.  What wasn't expected is the same whine in forward, however it is much less than reverse and maybe some wouldn't even notice it.  About 15% of the volume that reverse has.  It is the sound of a turbo spinning up or a jet plane taking off, again not very loud in forward but it is there to the point that I find myself wishing it wasn't there idling along the shore on a sunset cruise.  So just wondering if it is normal to have a minor turbo like whine at low rpm in forward (don't notice it at all once we get to about 2000 rpm or more).   Its not prop sing, as I know what that sounds like, it is definitely a gear whine.  Doesn't sound like damage, sounds like low geared equipment trans whir/whine.  Just want some confirmation that it is normal, and if it is maybe I'll just look at doing some minor sound proofing.  Maybe I just notice it on this VTX more than the old MC's because the exhaust noise on the MC was so much louder (I have FAE on this boat and the exhaust noise is almost non-existent).

This may not be the noise you're hearing, but I notice that buddies with newer v drive boats have a much more mechanical whine to them, almost like an electric motor, when they accelerate from standstill.  I chalked it up to the v drive and fae exhaust.  I have an older DD boat that sounds much more like a motor (which I like!).

Here is a video of the sound.  I think what has been said makes sense, the combination of more V drive whine in this setup with the absence of exhaust noise making it more noticeable than it otherwise would be.

Let me know what you think.  btw, all trans and V drive fluids are on point.

It actually sounds a LOT louder on the video than it does when you are just in the boat and like I said before around 2k rpm you don't notice it anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwTo3iUV3Uk

Edited by lake4life
  • 8 months later...
2010wakesetter

Hey I know this is an old post. But was wondering if that clunk before the whine noise was your boat going into gear. Mine does that and wondering if the clunk was normal. Thanks 

Yeah it does have a slight clunk although  the video makes all the noise sound much more exaggerated than it sounds in person - don’t really notice it in person, I describe it more of a soft bump in person.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...