Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Intermittent fuel delivery problem

I bought a 1999 Malibu Sunsetter LXI in July 2019. It failed on the second ski run. Barely got us back to the ramp. I have read the advise from this site. I have put a new fuel pump on and added a low pressure pump at the fuel tank. To prevent vapor lock I have wrapped all lines from the high pressure pump to the fuel rail with heat shield. This Summer it has gone as much a a month without any problem only to then strand me in need of tow. One thing it has never done is fail on first start up. You can run it all day if never shut down. So that is what I have resorted to. It will always restart but peters out in just three seconds when at it's worst. At best, it runs perfect.

I hope this is not the fist Malibu to ever behave this way.

LDL

Guessing it's still a vapor lock issue. After it has been running and you are sitting around, lift the engine cover a good couple inches, and run the blower at least 10 minutes before starting.

Another member moved their fuel pump completely out of the engine bay, away from the heat. That sounds like a good solution. Or if you can avoid ethanol fuel all together, that would help too. I only get vapor lock with ethanol fuel. Which makes sense, as I doubt our boats did this back when they were new... pre-ethanol. The ethanol mandate began in 2005.

Edited by BlindSquirrel