Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hard shift from neutral

I am be creating this problem in my mind, but thought that I would throw it out for any input.  2013 247 w/ 6.0 L engine and 325 hours.  
One of the great things about our boats is how smooth they are when going into and out of gear. When compared to most IO’s ours are like butter.  I feel like my shift into gear is getting a bit “harder” as the boat ages.  This has not been a sudden change, so I don’t think that there was an “event” that caused this.  And it isn’t bad by any means, yet? 
I also had the carpet out today and it allows me to hear a much more pronounced gear whine in forward idle than I am accustomed to, although that may be the carpet..  Not the same whine as reverse, or as loud, but I felt like I could hear it turning.

Fluids in tranny and v drive are spot on when floating and immediately after running for a while.  I will be changing the fluid in both sometime in the next month, but it only has about 100 hours on it and “looks” fine.

All other performance is as expected.  Engine idles normally (about 700) and runs smoothly.  No other drivetrain problems that I am aware of.  Prop is tight to shaft and can be turned by hand. No wiggle or anything loose underneath. Any thoughts as to if this is normal, I am making this up, or is there is anything further to look for.

If this is a mechanical shift transmission, check both ends of the shift cable to make sure that the stud nuts are not worn through.  You will get hard shifting if the resulting slop allows the engine to rev before the transmission shifts.

Hard shifting can be caused by high transmission oil pressure.  A stuck closed trans pressure regulator can cause high pressure and often causes trans oil temperature overheating.  A kink in the lines to the oil cooler or a clog in the cooler can also cause high pressure.  Any damage or bends in the shift solenoid shaft can cause hard shifting.