Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Vault Hub Replacement/Rebuild

scrupulous

Just looking for any guidance on replacing a Vault Hub on my 2019 A22 trailer.   I lost the inside seal on the port side leading axle.   I did find a decent video link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygpq2Dx09J4 that I was planning to follow.   Curious if others that have done this have any tips, tools, or things to watch out for.   

Separate note, getting the actual replacement parts has been an issue.  Started this process 3 weeks ago, Dexter initially was helpful, but went completely silent after I sent them the information they requested.  Ended up going back to my dealer who is working through our local Malibu Rep to get replacement parts to me.  As of today I have half of the rebuild kit, still waiting on the caps and grease. 

That video is great. Thanks for posting. I just paid my dealer 500 bucks for a trailer service, didn’t have time to do it myself. Included checking the surge brake system as well. Looks like a typical bearing replacement job but with some added steps to seal the hubs. Definitely doing it myself next time. Only thing I noticed different from mine finished and the video was the dealer put a bead of heavy duty grey sealant around where the cap meets the hub on the outside. Don’t have a pic cause I’m not close to the boat but I highlighted it in the photo attached.

F4C56482-07E3-4CBA-9B64-09B602DA000B.jpeg

2 hours ago, bigskydoc said:

Should be covered under warranty, no?

Yes - however there was some confusion at first since I was the second owner.  (I did pay to transfer the warranty)   The dealer got that figured out quickly and if I lived closer I would have limped over there and they would have taken care of it.  I am unfortunately 2 hours away so trailering to the dealership wasn't really an option.   

7 hours ago, bigskydoc said:

Should be covered under warranty, no?

4 hours ago, scrupulous said:

Yes - however there was some confusion at first since I was the second owner.  (I did pay to transfer the warranty)   The dealer got that figured out quickly and if I lived closer I would have limped over there and they would have taken care of it.  I am unfortunately 2 hours away so trailering to the dealership wasn't really an option.   

The Vault warranty sucks.  I wouldn't count on them covering anything......

Edited by RyanB

Not to mention you call for service and they say “we can schedule you an appointment four weeks from now”. 🙄

On 10/1/2021 at 6:19 PM, RyanB said:

The Vault warranty sucks.  I wouldn't count on them covering anything......

It was weird the way they (Dexter) were super responsive....and then fell off the face of the earth.   Luckily our local dealer and the Malibu service rep have been helpful.   Just wish I would have started there and saved myself 2 weeks.  

For anyone that has done this, should I take out the inner and outer races?   Or just replace the seals and bearings?

On 10/4/2021 at 9:38 AM, scrupulous said:

It was weird the way they (Dexter) were super responsive....and then fell off the face of the earth.   Luckily our local dealer and the Malibu service rep have been helpful.   Just wish I would have started there and saved myself 2 weeks.  

For anyone that has done this, should I take out the inner and outer races?   Or just replace the seals and bearings?

If the bearings are bad enough to indicate replacement, use new races as well.  If you don't see or feel any spots or grittiness, the bearings are probably still good.

I don't use a bearing tool.  I just pound them out and pound them back in with a long drift and a hammer.  A piece of 1/2" steel rod from the hardware store works fine.  The races are very hard, and I have never even put a mark on one.  Once you get them moving, just work your way around the circle to make sure they are fully seated.