Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2021 Axis Boat fuel injector issue

FYI, It is my understanding on GDI engines like the Malibu M5DI that the feed pipe and crossover pipe need to be removed from the fuel rails when a common rail injector bank is removed for repair.  It is recommended never to reuse those pipes and it may have something to do with them being regularly subjected to thousands of PSI of fuel pressure.  Hope everything worked out with the fix.

On 10/11/2021 at 9:48 AM, wakeywake said:

Update 2 - accessing the fuel injector myself was a piat, especially having to unplug the fuel lines. Testing the wires/cables for resistance was relatively easy and quick, and actually swapping out the injectors took only few min 

Replaced the injector #1, put the engine back together and all is back to normal. Wished indmar designed the engine in a way where you don’t have to unscrew the ECM, coolant, fuse box and the manifolds just to access the fuel injectors. All in all, great experience in this little DIY experience and learned a ton from you guys. Thank you again!

Well, it isn't a job that is intended for the at home person to be doing, so there is that.

4 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Well, it isn't a job that is intended for the at home person to be doing, so there is that.

What does that even mean?  It's OK to bill somebody for repairing an overly complicated assembly, but a DIY should never attempt it? 

The more things you have to remove to get to something, the more likely something will break or need extra attention.  Simple is good, no matter who has to do the work. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect to pull a crankshaft through the carburetor, but the tone of your statement bugs me.  I'm sad already that America is full of appliance users already, and not very many of us will even consider taking things apart.  Discouraging people from doing their own repairs is, well, discouraging.

16 hours ago, justgary said:

What does that even mean?  It's OK to bill somebody for repairing an overly complicated assembly, but a DIY should never attempt it? 

The more things you have to remove to get to something, the more likely something will break or need extra attention.  Simple is good, no matter who has to do the work. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect to pull a crankshaft through the carburetor, but the tone of your statement bugs me.  I'm sad already that America is full of appliance users already, and not very many of us will even consider taking things apart.  Discouraging people from doing their own repairs is, well, discouraging.

The concern here is that this is a DI engine. Without doing it properly there is a HUGE possibility of injury due to the pressures involved.

Think water jet levels of pressure.

Also, an engine in a boat/Marine environment has to be designed with several compromises involved, involving longevity, space, etc.

Times have changed. The days of the easy repairs for most stuff are long gone due to the complexity of the engines supplied by the base engine manufacturers.