Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Possible overheating of '93 Echelon LX

correction

I ended up getting the the Vetus Slang Rubber Exhaust Hose from http://www.fawcettboat.com    search exhaust hose. they carry the trident stuff as well.

or of course skidim is a good place to go if you need advice.

good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Thanks all for the suggestions; some I've already done (carb rebuild) , and others I plan to do (fuel lines).  As with most of my weekends, things never go to plan.  Instead of working on the boat a lot, I was looking for a passenger side mirror for a car my nephew messed up; then helped my friends son with a leaking sunroof.  These two things sort of took precedent over the boat.  I was still able to get into somethings and have the following update:

Massive amounts of water in the bilge bay are the result of the hose on the transmission cooler inlet side coming off.  1" dia hose pumping water into the boat will probably do a good job filling it up.  I'm still going to pull all the water hose to make sure they are in good condition and replace as needed.  Since this is my culprit; am I pretty safe in not replacing the impeller I just replaced 3 days before this boat excursion?  I seemed to have enough water going through my raw water pump to fill up the bilge bay, so I shouldn't have any issues with it running w/o water or in a compromised state, or am I missing something?  

Suggestions on flushing the oil cooler to make sure it's not clogged?  I'm not sure if a loose connection or plugged cooler caused the inlet side hose to come off.  I suspect it's the former b/c I removed it to check for debris and though I had it tightened.

For the rubber burning smell; that turned out to be the silent rider muffler.  After pulling off the starboard wet exhaust hose from the riser to the muffler intake; the riser outlet had quite a bit of what appeared to be soot around it and the muffler instake was pretty brittle and smelled burnt.  May have to replace that.  I've been looking and it seems the OE manufacturer is our of business but I can some OE aftermarket if I want to spend the money.  Think I've also learned that the boat is relatively quiet with that system (silent rider sits at the back and perpendicular to the engine) in relation to other mufflers or running straight exhaust.  Since I'm not sure if I'll need to replace or if I can repair the muffler, assuming I need - or want -to replace the muffler, what are everyone's thoughts on replacing with OE, going to 2 inline mufflers, using hoes inserts or running w/o muffler?  Also read about exhaust tips that turn down; does the dampen the noise?  I've read that no muffler can be in the 95 dba range, using various other muffling techniques can reduce that anywhere from 3-10 decibels.  Any idea how much quieter the silent rider system is compared to other systems (e.g. inline, inserts or none)?  

As always, your input and guidance is much appreciated.

past experiences would indicate that you should be able to feel, w your finger,  most of what might clog the trans cooler.  it may not be too difficult to inspect, visually, too.  i would not be too concerned w burning the new impeller up bc that hose came off from the trans cooler.  you should be good to go. 

on the loose hose clamp; DON"T over-tighten that clamp on the trans cooler.  the trans cooler is a brass (or copper?) can and can be easily crushed by over-tightening the worm drive clamp.

The muffler is probably repairable.  You can cut off the outlets and inlets if necessary and get fiberglass exhaust fitting replacements from Centek Industries here: https://centekmarine.com/.  Otherwise it's just mesh and resin and a can of paint, really easy to do.

Also, I removed the elbows from my Silent Rider for better flow as part of a full exhaust replacement, from manifolds to tips, here are a ton of pics.  With this set up, I expanded from 2 7/8" exhaust from the muffler back to 3 1/2" from the muffler back, no more baffles in the muffler, EXT manifolds for reduced weight and better flow.  In the cabin the boat is quieter with this set up than it was stock, but from behind the boat it still has a great sound.

Old exhaust elbow 2.jpg

Exhaust manifolds compressed.JPG

028.JPG

030.JPG

034.JPG

035.JPG

Exhaust 45 degree elbows.JPG

Exhaust complete 2.JPG

Exhaust complete.JPG

Exhaust openings.JPG

Exhaust openings 1.JPG

STE installed 002.JPG

• Like 2

@Sig556 - to your noise level question:  silent riders are very quiet, twin inline mufflers are acceptably quiet but noticibly noisier and an open exhaust can only be described as noisy.  You might enjoy the noise initially, your neighbors won’t and over time it will become annoying.  As much as I enjoy a V8 melody, a ski boat operating on a smaller lake is not a good option.  Turn downs help.

On 10/11/2021 at 5:33 AM, Michigan boarder said:

The muffler is probably repairable.  You can cut off the outlets and inlets if necessary and get fiberglass exhaust fitting replacements from Centek Industries here: https://centekmarine.com/.  Otherwise it's just mesh and resin and a can of paint, really easy to do.

Also, I removed the elbows from my Silent Rider for better flow as part of a full exhaust replacement, from manifolds to tips, here are a ton of pics.  With this set up, I expanded from 2 7/8" exhaust from the muffler back to 3 1/2" from the muffler back, no more baffles in the muffler, EXT manifolds for reduced weight and better flow.  In the cabin the boat is quieter with this set up than it was stock, but from behind the boat it still has a great sound.

Do the silent riders come with baffles and you took them out?  Any suggestions on how to check if mine has baffles and if they are in good shape?  Seeing what you did, I'm confident I should be able to repair the inlets, as long as the rest of the muffler was not damaged from excessive heat.  If I had the risers in the 190 degree range after a carb rebuild; I can only imagine that the previous owner was having similar issues.  And did that cause any long term problems.  Not sure what the heat tolerance for these are.

On 10/11/2021 at 4:34 PM, Woodski said:

@Sig556 - to your noise level question:  silent riders are very quiet, twin inline mufflers are acceptably quiet but noticibly noisier and an open exhaust can only be described as noisy.  You might enjoy the noise initially, your neighbors won’t and over time it will become annoying.  As much as I enjoy a V8 melody, a ski boat operating on a smaller lake is not a good option.  Turn downs help.

I used to like the loud rumble of an engine and still do for short durations.  Maybe i'm getting older, but I prefer a nice tone, not loud, but noticeable to those with a discerning ear.  I liked the sound with the silent rider, but now that it's out, I like the access to the back of the engine, the trans, etc.  Will make for easier fluid changes, etc.  There's a give and take and I'm not sure if the in-lines will be too noisy, or I can live with it because I have better access to the engine.  

I like the room, because as a friend noted when i was replacing a hand brake cable retaining clip on the body of another friends car; how to get those bear paws to fit anywhere.  The clip was under the car above the driveline and the exhaust had to be dropped/relocated to fix an $11 part.  German engineering at its finest.

2 hours ago, Sig556 said:

Do the silent riders come with baffles and you took them out?  Any suggestions on how to check if mine has baffles and if they are in good shape?  Seeing what you did, I'm confident I should be able to repair the inlets, as long as the rest of the muffler was not damaged from excessive heat.  If I had the risers in the 190 degree range after a carb rebuild; I can only imagine that the previous owner was having similar issues.  And did that cause any long term problems.  Not sure what the heat tolerance for these are.

Yes, the baffles are pictured here.  They were epoxied or glued to the inside of the muffler.  The long end connected to the long 90 degree elbow, and the short end was facing the inside wall of the muffler.  I have them staged next to the muffler the way they were positioned inside of the muffler.  If you have an endoscope you could probably put it in the 4" hole and take a look.  If you don't, they are like $50 on Amazon.  I deleted them as part of an air flow upgrade with a 380+hp engine, but if you are staying stock, there's no real need to remove them or change anything.

If you don't see any damage but are concerned about the integrity of the muffler, you could simply wrap the whole thing with mesh and apply 2 coats of resin.  There is almost no pressure on the muffler so not much to worry about there, it's not likely to blow apart or anything.

1 hour ago, Sig556 said:

I used to like the loud rumble of an engine and still do for short durations.  Maybe i'm getting older, but I prefer a nice tone, not loud, but noticeable to those with a discerning ear.  I liked the sound with the silent rider, but now that it's out, I like the access to the back of the engine, the trans, etc.  Will make for easier fluid changes, etc.  There's a give and take and I'm not sure if the in-lines will be too noisy, or I can live with it because I have better access to the engine.  

I like the room, because as a friend noted when i was replacing a hand brake cable retaining clip on the body of another friends car; how to get those bear paws to fit anywhere.  The clip was under the car above the driveline and the exhaust had to be dropped/relocated to fix an $11 part.  German engineering at its finest.

I have found no real need to access anything beneath the muffler since the engine upgrades back in 2015 and 180 hours of use.  If I have to, it will be pretty simple to remove, especially since I went with silicone elbows coming out of the exhaust manifolds, they are way more flexible than the stock exhaust hoses.

028.thumb.JPG.747032bbf1093f08fdcf5725ff348c2d.JPG

@Sig556 - If you like the room w/o the silent rider, a pair of inline's will work fine and not be too noisy.  The difference will be significant, currently you can probably hear the water rushing along the hull from both inside and out with a Silent Rider, a pair of inline's the engine exhaust note is what you will hear.  Primex is a popular brand of inline silencer.  One comment on exhaust systems, make sure your rubber baffles on the exhaust tips at the transom are in good shape as that keeps water from rushing back up the system and possibly enter the combustion chamber which is a source of hydro-lock.