Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ridiculous water spray solutions

BigCountrys93EuroF3

Hi All. I have a 93 201 sunsetter f3 and I do realize some water spray is going to hit me from time to time given the design of ski boats and how low she sits in the water.

Usually I can counteract some wind and waves by throttling up a bit or slow to an idle and mitigate getting sprayed.  

On windy days and or size and shape if the chop I get slapped in the face with water very frequently and doesnt matter what I do to try to correct it. None the less, I am becoming quite frustrated and need some solutions thrown my way.

I am debating adding/ mounting wave guards / deflectors from the bow to halfway towards the rear.  Thoughts input? 

Also another idea came up and is there an aftermarket rub rail I can install that is a bit fatter than the original that could deflect the spray? My rub rail is old and brittle and not in the best shape anyways so replacement of it is justified anyways.

Thanks in advance, Jeff

Your boat is not really meant for big water.  Everything about it is designed for smooth water, so it rides hard and sprays a lot in chop. 

I guess the question I have is if you are out in the big water to get to your favorite hidden cove to ski, or are you just out running around in the big water?  We occasionally cross Choctawhatchee Bay (about 3.5 miles or so) to see how crowded it is at the beach, but we try to only do it on calm days.  Sometimes the wind picks up while we are out and we get beat coming home.  We know to expect it, so we take what is coming to us.  The point is that we are out in the big water trying to get someplace, and we try to minimize that exposure.

Rather than try to fix a boat that isn't broken, I would trade it for something else if you have no choice but to be in big water.

5 minutes ago, justgary said:

Your boat is not really meant for big water.  Everything about it is designed for smooth water, so it rides hard and sprays a lot in chop. 

I guess the question I have is if you are out in the big water to get to your favorite hidden cove to ski, or are you just out running around in the big water?  We occasionally cross Choctawhatchee Bay (about 3.5 miles or so) to see how crowded it is at the beach, but we try to only do it on calm days.  Sometimes the wind picks up while we are out and we get beat coming home.  We know to expect it, so we take what is coming to us.  The point is that we are out in the big water trying to get someplace, and we try to minimize that exposure.

Rather than try to fix a boat that isn't broken, I would trade it for something else if you have no choice but to be in big water.

Thx, I agree that is the design of the boat. I haven't done alot of skiing, but I have three young boys and soon enough we will find the coves and calm water to ski. I love everything about this boat. Love the inboard and acceleration shes got. She my weekly driver on the water so I take her everywhere.  I can handle a rough ride or slow down to keep the pounding to a min in choppier water, it's the spray that drives me nuts when its every 5 seconds. It does look to me that an older maristar or other vdrives  sit a bit higher or have higher sides and could be better. I only paid 8.500 for this one so a slightly newer vdrive I would have to cough up some more money 😠 and I'm cheap dammit

I suspect you are probably spending too much time out on the water in windy conditions, and while your boat is likely still “sea worthy” in those conditions, it’s definitely not designed for substantial chop.  I live in the Columbia River gorge (famous for windsurfing, wind sports in general).  I have gone entire summers without venturing my newer 23lsv 2 miles down river to the popular beach/cove. Not because my boat couldn’t handle 3-5 feet of chop/rollers, but because I just didn’t want to beat it up (and all of the passengers too).  As soon as the wind hits 10mph I’m usually headed back to the boat house/marina.  My go/no go decision re weather basically anywhere is “would I be safe/comfortable being broke down and needing a tow in these conditions.” Fwiw. 

• Like 3
46 minutes ago, PNWoke said:

I suspect you are probably spending too much time out on the water in windy conditions, and while your boat is likely still “sea worthy” in those conditions, it’s definitely not designed for substantial chop.  I live in the Columbia River gorge (famous for windsurfing, wind sports in general).  I have gone entire summers without venturing my newer 23lsv 2 miles down river to the popular beach/cove. Not because my boat couldn’t handle 3-5 feet of chop/rollers, but because I just didn’t want to beat it up (and all of the passengers too).  As soon as the wind hits 10mph I’m usually headed back to the boat house/marina.  My go/no go decision re weather basically anywhere is “would I be safe/comfortable being broke down and needing a tow in these conditions.” Fwiw. 

I spend too much time on the water in general.  First time I am an owner of a home  with my own pier 100 feet away from my house on  a channel.  We do live on a chain of lakes and there are plenty of calmer areas that I can find. So on rough days I suppose I have to utilize those spots more often to keep my frustration levels down. It's more so the beginning and end of season boating where the spray isn't welcome when air and water temps are lower.  

2 minutes ago, BigCountrys93EuroF3 said:

I spend too much time on the water in general.  First time I am an owner of a home  with my own pier 100 feet away from my house on  a channel.  We do live on a chain of lakes and there are plenty of calmer areas that I can find. So on rough days I suppose I have to utilize those spots more often to keep my frustration levels down. It's more so the beginning and end of season boating where the spray isn't welcome when air and water temps are lower.  

I get it.  If you have room to navigate, you can try to run directly up or down wind, then turn 90 degrees and run parallel to the waves, then turn and repeat the process until you are out of the big water.  At least that way you still get beat up, but maybe minimize spray in the boat.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, PNWoke said:

My go/no go decision re weather basically anywhere is “would I be safe/comfortable being broke down and needing a tow in these conditions.” Fwiw. 

I wish more boaters had this mindset...seems like some forget that failure is an option.  I'm astounded at how many boats don't even have an anchor to keep them off the rocks/shoreline in the event of an issue.

• Like 3
On 9/28/2021 at 1:23 PM, formulaben said:

I wish more boaters had this mindset...seems like some forget that failure is an option.  I'm astounded at how many boats don't even have an anchor to keep them off the rocks/shoreline in the event of an issue.

Never crossed my mind that some travel around without good anchors. I have all my safety equipment on board so I don't worry too much about conditions unless we are talking 5 foot plus swells. I love my box anchor which I bought oversized, what a great anchor that is. And to keep me from swinging on the box anchor I throw a 40lb mushroom off the back. She ain't goin nowhere.  

We drive past the chain to our place in Twin Lakes and unfortunately with DD ski boat you don't have many options (all are low to water and get spray).  Most boats under 23 ft are undersized out on the chain.  We test drove our Bu on the chain when we bought it and it was crazy.  You are lucky you can hit the water during the week when its calm like us.      

• Like 1