Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2021/2022 A24 Front Ballast

lights

I'm strongly considering ordering a 2022 A24 and I'd like to know if there's any way to upgrade the front ballast. Quite honestly, I can't even figure out from the online materials whether or not the front ballast is a hard tank or a bag, or whether there's any available storage space in the front to add lead. I neglected to ask when I test surfed a 2021, but I did notice that with all ballast 100% full (stock ballast plus the Axis-optioned PNP bags in the rear) and the wedge set so that wave was as steep as I wanted, it was closer to the swim step than I would have expected or liked - I could have used a longer pocket. There was only the driver on the boat.

Have others noticed the same? How have they compensated?

(I should note that I'm hoping to not add lead, as the A24 is near the weight limit my 6700lb lift can handle.

It is a bag for the front ballast. You should be able to add lead no problem under the bag and the bag will only fill slightly less if needed. If the wave was too close to the boat, I’d imagine more speed with those weight and wedge settings will lengthen it.

I had a 2020 and 2021 A24 . I tried 150 lb of shot under the bow bag right before a long vacation on the lake plus 100 in the obs compartment. Then I got 10 people on the boat and everything changed. I took the bow weight out. The regular side wave just wasn’t clean. A lot had to do with the size bags in the back imo. I had the 900s in the 2021 and you can definitely submerge the gate with those full and a large crew . I think my dealer started putting 700/750 in the rear later in the season. And yes the speed will help . Seems like 11-11.5 works well on that boat . 
you will love that boat .