Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'96 Echelon engine oil

I have a new to me echelon with a Mercruiser 350 black scorpion engine and is due for my first oil change. I have asked several people about what they use and gotten just as many opinions. What is the best oil to use in a fresh water lake in South Carolina. The manual recommends Quicksilver marine oil which I found in a 25w-40. I also have friends using diesel oil 10w40 in a 2012 Response, and Valvoline VR1 SAE40 (in a nautique).

We have run the boat 2-4 days/week pulling slalom, swivel, barefoot, and my 7 year old on trick skis so we are at all different speeds and engine load.

Any consensus on what to put in the boat would be great, I don't really need 35 new options to add to the mix :)

Edited by auj130

Do you mean Black Scorpion? Oil viscosity is more important than brand. My 95 Sanger 350 had a sticker on the motor listing proper weight oil.

Found this on Black Scorpion hope it helps:

https://www.maritimepropulsion.com/files/pdf/1001258

20w-40; also says should be running atleast 91 octnane fuel

Edited by Rednucleus
9 minutes ago, Rednucleus said:

Do you mean Black Scorpion? Oil viscosity is more important than brand. My 95 Sanger 350 had a sticker on the motor listing proper weight oil

Oh yeah my bad, its a scorpion. I'll edit my post quick :blush:
thanks, I'll run down to the boat and look for the sticker.