Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 or 2018 Axis T22

WakeBoatDad

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to decide between an Axis T22 from 2017 or 2018 to purchase.  I have looked at several sites trying to find all the differences. The adds say total redesign, I see some differences but are they that significant?  The 2018 I am considering has the power wedge but no heaters, the 2017 has heaters but no power wedge.  The 2018 is only $2k more than the 2017 I am looking at.  Same motor in both, Monsoon 409.  We surf mostly but enjoy all the different sports.  Any advice or knowledge on the differences would be super helpful before we pull the trigger. Thank you!

There are several threads on these forums about adding a heater, I’ve ordered both my boats with heaters so I cannot speak to cost to add after the fact. It’s doable if your a DIY guy, or you can ask your dealer for a quote. 

• Like 1

2018. Not a question in my mind. The wedge is the difference between a surf and just a boat. 

congrats on being able to narrow your decision down to two. It took me years to buy a boat because of the paradox of choices. 

Edited by DaBU
  • Like 3
1 minute ago, WakeBoatDad said:

Oh ok, I didn't know the heater can be added, anyone know cost or how I would go about that?

2018 the T22 saw a complete redesigned hull and everything.  I would almost always take new hull over a older.  Heater can be done easily DIY or by dealer. 

• Like 2

I would maybe consider the hours on the two boats as well. I have a 2017 and it surfs great! I do wish it had the powers wedge, but I don’t know what I don’t know. If the 2018 has 300 hours more it might be worth considering the 2017.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, WakeBoatDad said:

the 217 has 139 hrs and the 2018 has 233 hrs

Thats not enough hours on the 2018 for me to consider the 2017.  We had 2018 T22.  We did not use the wedge for adults but used it for our kids surfing. For a multi sport family power wedge would be a huge benefit.

Edited by vanamp
  • Like 2

Hey @WakeBoatDad,   I'm glad you've wound up here, as this forum offers a wealth of information.  I'm the one with the 2018 T22 that you've mentioned. 

I am going to stay out of this discussion and let the other guys here help provide you with their suggestions and input.  Either way, I'm sure you're going to enjoy the waves and wakes. 

• Like 1

Power wedge is a game changer in my opinion. I would not miss out on that. Heaters are easy enough to add. I have had a '14 T22 and now an '18 T22. I can also tell you that in my '14 which would be the same hull as the '17 you are looking at, I needed to add extra ballast (over and above the 750's in the lockers, all stock and the underseat bow bag). The wave on my '18 was much improved and no additional ballast aside was needed. The hull changes were significant enough to notice and the PW also enhances the experience. This is a no brainer IMO.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...