Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tower removal

waterskiercu

Just purchased a 2001 Sportster LX that has a Skylon Tuna tower. Came across some older threads discussing collapsing -- which doesn't sound possible. How about full removal? Even though we ski 95% of the time, it's not a bad feature to hold skis, speakers, etc. but the storage deal an issue. I have the ability to store the boat in a garage but can't with the current set up. Can you fully remove the tower and just keep it should we decide to sell down the road? I'm not overly worried about aesthetics if it can be removed more so any holes/openings that could cause problems.  Long time skier but first time owner so pardon the novice nature of my ? Thanks! 

Michigan boarder

I removed mine, not a Skylon but a Boss tower.  I just left the mounts in case I decide to go back.  You can see the tower mounts if you are looking but they are not very noticeable otherwise.

1005259011_2020notower.thumb.jpg.10e707d317f8de366f22bcbf249f700b.jpg

• Like 3

Hey thanks! Yeah I'm hoping it isn't a huge process. There's some wiring that goes to the speakers that I'll try to preserve for when we reattach the tower. 

The tuna tower can be folded down by removing the two short pieces about halfway up the rear legs of the tower.  Allen bolts hold them in.  You probably need to loosen the bolts that are about halfway up the front legs too, but not remove them.

Thanks. You're the first person I've come across that suggested that method. I also wondered why the joints you mentioned were there if not for allowing the tower to break down. I got a 9 foot garage lined up for storage this winter so was hoping to avoid complete removal. I need to come up with about 6-10 inches based on the eyeball test.