Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Axis T220

wedge88

23 hours ago, rennis said:

1. The wake is bigger.  I haven't surfed behind a T22 but I have surfed behind an A22.  The A22 wave is nice but the T220 is better

2. Bow rise depends on Wedge setting.  It really digs in past Wedge 2.  So there is still substantial rise, but it's tolerable/no worse than any other boat I've been on

3. I am very happy with the rough water handling.  I put >10 break-in hours on ours on Friday on Lake Washington.  It was a windy rainy day.  Boat handles crappy water very well. I'm really happy with it.

4. I have the M6.  IT IS WORTH THE UPGRADE over the M5.  Just do it. 

1. Wave seems better than my '18 T22, which was a great wave.

2. Order a seat riser. It's no change from other Axis boats I've been on.

3. Better than 18

4. M5 with standard prop is getting the job done for me with no issues. Boat tops out at 40, planes quick for surfing.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, rennis said:

Has anyone figured out the best options for an aftermarket cooler that fits well in factory indentation?  I'm looking at semi-rigid coolers like RTICs, or maybe a rigid one like this ultralight:

https://rticoutdoors.com/Ultra-Light-Cooler?size=52&color=White-Grey

I'm still sporting my AO Stow N Go  in that location as it fits the indentation perfect and doesn't move.  It seems like that indentation would require both seats to be lifted to get a cooler lid flipped up so I just stuck with the bag.  We keep an Rtic 20 hard cooler in the walkway as well.  

I just bought this generic 30qt rotomolded.  We got white with rope handles on each end.  It fits perfectly in our T220. Lid is fairly easy to unlatch. It doesnt open up 90 degrees but probably 60 or 70 degrees and easy to reach into.  Supposed to be 93 degrees this weekend. We will see how ice lasts. 

https://a.co/d/cm26Rlv

Edited by tgaffin

We are loving our new T220 but have to complain a little bit. The bow and middle ballast drains are in such a bad location. If you are emptying ballast and driving back to dock at same time the spray ends up soaking the captains windshield, captain and even passenger sitting behind helm. Anyone figure out a deflector or fitting that would redirect the drain down more? It seems like it’s also how the new hull is designed and how the windshield sits. Boat gets much more wind spray compared to old T22. 

42 minutes ago, Bagar20 said:

We are loving our new T220 but have to complain a little bit. The bow and middle ballast drains are in such a bad location. If you are emptying ballast and driving back to dock at same time the spray ends up soaking the captains windshield, captain and even passenger sitting behind helm. Anyone figure out a deflector or fitting that would redirect the drain down more? It seems like it’s also how the new hull is designed and how the windshield sits. Boat gets much more wind spray compared to old T22. 

We noticed this right away too.  Not a huge deal in the summer months but we were out in April and when emptying I soaked everyone on the starboard side and none of them wanted to be wet when it was 50 degrees out.  Now I just empty the rears and empty the front/mid when we're back at the dock or sitting idle.  

So many questions on the thought processes of the engineers.  We love the performance of this boat but the nuances and QC have me rethinking next years purchase.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Bagar20 said:

We noticed the same thing.  The drain locations also made it difficult for registration number placement.

Looking for a solution to rope rub on the dual Bimini for the T220. Surfing seems to be more of an issue with starting a rider off to the side and the heavier rope. I’ve only been out a few times, but it seems like this will be a problem in the not so distant future. Thanks.

2 hours ago, BohBoh said:

Looking for a solution to rope rub on the dual Bimini for the T220. Surfing seems to be more of an issue with starting a rider off to the side and the heavier rope. I’ve only been out a few times, but it seems like this will be a problem in the not so distant future. Thanks.

Something like this should work

https://www.perfski.com/performance-ski-surf-team-edition-shock-tube-4-ft.html

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I think that looks great! Not sure why it doesn’t just come that way from the factory…

looking at the 23 renderings it looks like it will be relocated on the t220 t250 and I assume t235

• Like 1
12 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I think that looks great! Not sure why it doesn’t just come that way from the factory…

It kind of worked out for us we get better marketing than Axis does with this setup. 

20220708_113053.jpg

• Like 2

Without the Axis badge on my boat, I can just about guarantee that people on my lake have no idea what my boat is. I am one of only 3 Axis boats (that I know of or have ever seen) on an almost Great Lake. I do like the look naked, but I think the placement @rennis used looks good too.

22 minutes ago, Raimie said:

Without the Axis badge on my boat, I can just about guarantee that people on my lake have no idea what my boat is. I am one of only 3 Axis boats (that I know of or have ever seen) on an almost Great Lake. I do like the look naked, but I think the placement @rennis used looks good too.

Same thoughts.  We boat on waterways crawling with other Axis boats. Yet a lot of other boaters look at it when we're on the water (and under tow) and I can see from the way their faces contort they have no clue what it is.  Some of the Axis owners of course know, but not many of the others.  The tower is the only dead giveaway.  Otherwise it and the T250 don't look distinctly like any other Axis (yet).  

Looking for some accessory opinions for our T220:

Flip up ski flag mount…which one do you like?

Seat riser…is there a “best” one?

Lastly, we have the very basic ptm mirror.  Would like a slightly larger mirror, but can’t believe how expensive they are.  Any recommendations here?

Thanks!

Edited by frosty

I ordered the plug and play option.  As such, I have the piping and two fat sacs in the rear lockers.  I didn't get a bow bag.  Was it supposed to come standard or with the p+p option, or did I miss an option?  

23 hours ago, frosty said:

Looking for some accessory opinions for our T220:

Flip up ski flag mount…which one do you like?

Seat riser…is there a “best” one?

Lastly, we have the very basic ptm mirror.  Would like a slightly larger mirror, but can’t believe how expensive they are.  Any recommendations here?

Thanks!

I ordered the Uptice flag holder. It really doesn’t seem to work at all with the extended Bimini. It needs to be redesigned to angle out away from the Bimini. Unless I am doing something wrong the flag can only go backwards and under the Bimini with the current version. 

I installed the Inland Curl 3” seat riser and I am happy with that. 

I got the PTM 140 degrees 20x6” mirror. It uses the same mount as the factory mirror so you save some money there. It has a much larger and wider view. 

I am very happy with my T220 which I received last August. Has anyone investigated if the Walk-through fiberglass piece from the T250 would fit on a T220? I assume that the engine compartments are identical I and I would just have to make my side rear covers smaller, but I like to confirm that. Anyone had a similar thought?