Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Axis T220

wedge88

On 4/2/2022 at 11:25 AM, vanamp said:

Just picked it up.  Was a little nervous about interior choice but it turned out really sharp looking.  Extended bimni was totally worth it and is super easy.  Noticed a camera option on the stereo.  Anyone know of a rear camera I can install?

Getting it home to install seat riser, hyperide locker nets and put our skylon racks on. I'll get more pics soon. 

20220402_110817.jpg

wife must be super stoked, an Axis with big freeboard!!! hope Andrea?  is stoked

Edited by granddaddy55
2 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

wife must be super stoked, an Axis with big freeboard!!! hope Andrea?  is stoked

Yes she is,  heading south this weekend to get break-in hours done since its snowing here still. Winter won't give up here in MN.

16 hours ago, frosty said:

My dealer sent me this photo of our new T220.  Color is Zephyr Blue...interior is light grey and sepia...our goal was classic, simple and clean.  I had requested the Axis logo be left off...

IMG-0905.jpg

Looks fantastic frosty! Are you planning to put the decal on or keep her naked?

22 hours ago, frosty said:

My dealer sent me this photo of our new T220.  Color is Zephyr Blue...interior is light grey and sepia...our goal was classic, simple and clean.  I had requested the Axis logo be left off...

IMG-0905.jpg

Looks great without the logo.  I am removing mine when it arrives this month.  I always debadge my cars so why not the boat too? 

• Like 2

I bet the marketing dept. and whoever decided on the Axis emblem location are getting along really good right now.  I kept it on mine but I have a Vinyl plotter so I can run through a bunch of different reg number options on my own.   I wonder how many un-badged T series are rolling off the line?

Edited by vanamp
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, vanamp said:

I bet the marketing dept. and whoever decided on the Axis emblem location are getting along really good right now.  I kept it on mine but I have a Vinyl plotter so I can run through a bunch of different reg number options on my own.   I wonder how many un-badged T series are rolling off the line?

Most of them that were custom ordered is my guess.  I think the badge looks awesome up by the bow but it just doesn't work with registration numbers

Wife and I are debating whether to try applying the badge mid-hull or just leave it naked.  Waiting to see what other people do so we're not the first idiots to land on the sun with a stupid idea.  

On 4/7/2022 at 7:09 PM, rennis said:

Most of them that were custom ordered is my guess.  I think the badge looks awesome up by the bow but it just doesn't work with registration numbers

Wife and I are debating whether to try applying the badge mid-hull or just leave it naked.  Waiting to see what other people do so we're not the first idiots to land on the sun with a stupid idea.  

Not sure if this link will work but here is one with a domed numbers moved to the center . Looks great imo , would think the factory badge would look good as well

https://m.facebook.com/story/graphql_permalink/?

• Like 1
On 4/2/2022 at 12:25 PM, vanamp said:

...Noticed a camera option on the stereo.  Anyone know of a rear camera I can install?...

20220402_110817.jpg

I am also wondering how to use this camera option.

Got my locker nets installed yesterday. Great product. I had to trim one rod on each side to fit but it was very easy. I ordered the 25" nets. The screws that come with them are too long to use on the engine dividers. So a heads up there.

IMG_20220410_165345928_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

The storage is very much improved on the T220 over the previous models. I can easily fit a couple surfboards under the seat behind the driver. Not sure if I will ever use it for that, but impressive and easy to get to thanks to the new hinges.

On the observers side, the storage is deeper than the T22 and it would be no problem to fit a couple wakeboards in there.

I typically just use my board racks and bimini but it's nice to have the option.

I plan to install my seat riser this afternoon. One thing I'm not happy about is the limited drivers seat rotation due to interference with the trim panel. MSRP on the swivel is $500 and it only gets you something like 20 degrees of pivot.

IMG_20220410_143028289_HDR.jpg

20 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Yep the swivel seat is kinda lame now. I really like to swivel it all the way around when floating to talk to guests. 

Same. On my '18, I removed the latch so it would always swivel. It was great for sitting and chatting with friends while the kids swam. I liked to rotate about 90 degrees and put my feet up on the passengers seat side.  I'm hoping that I get a little more rotation with the riser on... not sure if it will matter though.

Edited by Raimie
36 minutes ago, Raimie said:

Same. On my '18, I removed the latch so it would always swivel. It was great for sitting and chatting with friends while the kids swam. I liked to rotate about 90 degrees and put my feet up on the passengers seat side.  I'm hoping that I get a little more rotation with the riser on... not sure if it will matter though.

I did my riser box last weekend and if it gave any more rotation it wasn't noticeable.  My box wasn't drilled correctly, so I had to drill some of my own holes in it, and I kinda considered offsetting the seat a bit more toward the centerline.  But then the seat and the helm would've been off, so I didn't.

Raimie,

Thanks for posting those storage photos.  What cooler do you plan on using and where are you going to put it?  I didn't order a cooler with mine.  I do have two AO coolers that we will probably end up using, but waiting to get my boat to figure it out.

2 minutes ago, frosty said:

Raimie,

Thanks for posting those storage photos.  What cooler do you plan on using and where are you going to put it?  I didn't order a cooler with mine.  I do have two AO coolers that we will probably end up using, but waiting to get my boat to figure it out.

I use a small or medium soft yeti typically. I do not put it under the seat. I either put it on the seat directly behind the driver or on the floor in the same area. I never liked asking people to move to get to a cooler. I have a lake house so it's rare to go out for more than 3-4 hours.

24 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

I did my riser box last weekend and if it gave any more rotation it wasn't noticeable.  My box wasn't drilled correctly, so I had to drill some of my own holes in it, and I kinda considered offsetting the seat a bit more toward the centerline.  But then the seat and the helm would've been off, so I didn't.

What brand riser did you go with?

41 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

The uptice locking box

Pics please.  I loved my version 1 of this box where the door opened back/front but the new design, out the side, seems to look odd in the pictures and seems I would hit my legs on it all the time.  I had the non-locking version on my 2015 and it was a great place for a drybag and koozies.

14 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

Pics please.  I loved my version 1 of this box where the door opened back/front but the new design, out the side, seems to look odd in the pictures and seems I would hit my legs on it all the time.  I had the non-locking version on my 2015 and it was a great place for a drybag and koozies.

100%.  The side opening aspect is kinda lame (ESPECIALLY with the inability to rotate the captain's chair to 90*), as is the fact that it now takes a key.  I envision just leaving the key in the box all the time.  Mostly we stash the captain's sunscreen down there.  I liked the front opening box on the old boat a lot and didn't realize the limitations of this design till it was far too late.

I don't have an as-installed pic... just a couple of "wtf, why isn't this lining up" pics.  The holes ended up being off on mine, so I had to drill new holes to mount it up.  It was almost as if someone assembled the box inside out.  oh well.  Next time I'm in the boat I'll snap one.

I spent 10.1 hrs in the boat this weekend.  Have not been able to install any of my upgrades yet due to winter holding on tight in MN but found some open water in IA.

Initial thoughts(comparing from out 2018 T22): 

• Gramin dash was perfect, simple easy to navigate not issues.  Configuration of thing like the depth alarm are quick and easy set/change.  Only thing I used manual conrtol for was the knob for setting cruise control.
  • Wireless charger was great, had Navionics app running the whole time on an unfamilar lake and left boat with 100% charge
  • The stereo controls are so much better, then the crap they put in the 2018.  Love having a Volume knob.
  • The soft grip flooring is really disappointing.  It seems to be a cheaper stamped version of gatorstep.  It does not even match the glove box or dash accents.  I would definitly advise against ordering it and getting a gatorstep kit.  The lines and logo are printed?Lasered? on and not cut into the lower layer of coler like gatorstep and there is no beveled edge on the side just straight cut.
  • Cover is still not great.  For how hard it is to get on you would think it would have a tight fit but even with the additional hang tight point (rope attached to 2 points plus front and rear pole) it still is a super loose fit and has pooling behind windshield.  I tried to go Evo but they did not have a template. 
  • Not sure about the M6 yet due to break in limits but it felt like it wanted to take off.
  • Vinyl seems to be continually getting better every refresh. 
  • Couple design misses are the obvious where to put the registration numbers issue and the gas cap and cleat are too close for a nice cleat opening so there is just one big zipper for opening for both.
  • Surfgate transfer tones are a nice soft sounding tone, much more pleseant on the ears of the passangers.
  • Trailer wheels look a lot nicer, not sure if this was an upgrade due to supply shortages or something new.
  • Open seat desgin makes not having the swivel less of an issue, luckily my dealer pointed out how worthless the swivel option is an saved me a little cash on that one.
  • Hull handled some rough water pretty well but was not really driving it hard due to break in limits. 
  • Hinged seats are awesome and just make it feel much less like a budget brand boat.

Overall everything feels much improved over the our 2018.  

On the Garmin display has anyone install a screen protector?  I ordered some for my T250 when it arrives.  It isn't custom but trim to size.  Just curious if that is a concern for anyone.