Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Axis T220

wedge88

1 hour ago, saxton15 said:

How big is your crew usually?  And did you feel the 25 would have simply improved the space or were you looking for different performance?

My family is 5 and that's our day trip crew.  On vacations and long weekends we'll have 5-10.  Once we get into the 8-10 range I start wishing for that extra space but as my wife says "more space just means more people too" and she isn't wrong.  We've had three 22' boats and I can't say it's ever hindered what we wanted to do.  More space would be a plus but not a necessity but I was also looking forward to the performance of the 25' boat.  I'm hopeful that the T220 blows the socks off our 22VLX as it had a good wave but I never felt I could get it dialed in the same every time.  I always felt like it could be better and part of that is the ability to make 100 finite adjustments whereas my old A22 had a floating wedge so it was fill bags, drop wedge, deploy gate and set speed and go.  I surfed a 19' 22VLX last summer which was a model year change and it was definitely a better setup, as far as waves go, than our 2018.

37 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

My family is 5 and that's our day trip crew.  On vacations and long weekends we'll have 5-10.  Once we get into the 8-10 range I start wishing for that extra space but as my wife says "more space just means more people too" and she isn't wrong.  We've had three 22' boats and I can't say it's ever hindered what we wanted to do.  More space would be a plus but not a necessity but I was also looking forward to the performance of the 25' boat.  I'm hopeful that the T220 blows the socks off our 22VLX as it had a good wave but I never felt I could get it dialed in the same every time.  I always felt like it could be better and part of that is the ability to make 100 finite adjustments whereas my old A22 had a floating wedge so it was fill bags, drop wedge, deploy gate and set speed and go.  I surfed a 19' 22VLX last summer which was a model year change and it was definitely a better setup, as far as waves go, than our 2018.

Interesting.  I had the same feeling about our 2017 22VLX.  Finite adjustments on our 2021 23LSV are much improved over our old VLX.  

I'm interested to hear what you have to say when you get behind the T220.

26 minutes ago, yotaisgame said:

Interesting you went with a 5.3L to push that heavy boat around. Reason?

For one, I'm from the midwest so no elevation and two, I've never had a problem surfing or wakeboarding with our crew(s) and the amount of weight we run.  The 350 in our axis worked fine.  We did hit some walls when really heavy and wakeboarding but the power wedge with lift would have fixed that.  The Raptor 410 (353) was way better in our 22VLX and we ran 750s in the rear with additional 200-250 in lead up front.  With our prop choice(s) we could run almost 42mph in our VLX and surf RPMs were low compared to the 15' Axis and we never hit a wall needing more motor.

In short, I just don't think a 22' boat requires anything more when not at a high elevation BICBW!

14 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

For one, I'm from the midwest so no elevation and two, I've never had a problem surfing or wakeboarding with our crew(s) and the amount of weight we run.  The 350 in our axis worked fine.  We did hit some walls when really heavy and wakeboarding but the power wedge with lift would have fixed that.  The Raptor 410 (353) was way better in our 22VLX and we ran 750s in the rear with additional 200-250 in lead up front.  With our prop choice(s) we could run almost 42mph in our VLX and surf RPMs were low compared to the 15' Axis and we never hit a wall needing more motor.

In short, I just don't think a 22' boat requires anything more when not at a high elevation BICBW!

Good reasoning. But the T220 is a heavy boat. Hard to nail down exact dry weight (I found three sites with different answers) but it appears to be less than 200lbs lighter than a 2021 T23. Coming from a 2013 23lsv which IMO has the wrong transmission/engine in it for people who are serious about surfing there's no way I would order this boat with the small 5.3L. Pretty sure I will be ordering a T220 in the near future and I'm also not at elevation. In our 2013 with 900's in the lockers and 300lbs on the seats in the nose with the most aggressive prop we have very defined limitations while surfing and wakeboarding. But that's kind of comparing apples to oranges. 

45 minutes ago, saxton15 said:

On AWS's website it's 4864.  

This is from my dealer.  The boat is showing 400lbs more than my 22VLX was listed at and I know these numbers aren’t the most accurate but it’s the info I have.  I know the T220 is heavier but I’ll also be running 550s vs 750s as these newer hulls don’t need the weight so I’m making 400lbs up there.  1BA432F6-68BC-40B3-A081-71070FA0CBCF.thumb.png.4889b676f998c847f27f1cfd8cd6467a.png

This is exactly why I wanted a T220 post so we could discuss these things we all question.  Hopefully someone posts some pics of their boat soon.  We have a long winter ahead.

• Like 3

I get flamed a bit for it but we never surfed with the wedge because wave seemed inconsistent to us.  We are getting forced to use it more as our 5yo is in the surf rotation and likely her little sister next summer so the adjustability will be needed.  We upgraded to the M6Di hoping for better performance with the wedge, quieter ride, lower RPMs.  Our T22 seemed like it was working really hard when we used the wedge. 

We went with the important surf options but tried to keep it a budget boat as much as possible.  We are a Skylon dealer so we will have the Skylock racks.  We checked the box for the Ski pylon because its realativly cheap and the back might look funny without it.  Also we used the back grab handles for a gopro mount and that won't work on them anymore so the pylon might be a handy anchor point.

Upgraded to the sport dash and if anyone has not used it yet they did an awesome job with it.  One touch fill/drain, swipe between screens and the digital knob below is really nice, especially for setting cruise.  Very responsive not sluggish at all.

We did not option the swivel seat because it swivels like 2 inches and seemed like a wasted $400.

After our test ride we will definitely be putting some lead up front and getting a seat riser for my wife(had one on the last boat too).

If anyone has not been in one fire away with questions.  We did not get to surf it but did load it up and check out the wave on the demo boat.

Screenshot_20210922-180527_Drive.jpg

Edited by vanamp
24 minutes ago, vanamp said:

I get flamed a bit for it but we never surfed with the wedge because wave seemed inconsistent to us.  We are getting forced to use it more as our 5yo is in the surf rotation and likely her little sister next summer so the adjustability will be needed.  We upgraded to the M6Di hoping for better performance with the wedge, quieter ride, lower RPMs.  Our T22 seemed like it was working really hard when we used the wedge. 

We went with the important surf options but tried to keep it a budget boat as much as possible.  We are a Skylon dealer so we will have the Skylock racks.  We checked the box for the Ski pylon because its realativly cheap and the back might look funny without it.  Also we used the back grab handles for a gopro mount and that won't work on them anymore so the pylon might be a handy anchor point.

Upgraded to the sport dash and if anyone has not used it yet they did an awesome job with it.  One touch fill/drain, swipe between screens and the digital knob below is really nice, especially for setting cruise.  Very responsive not sluggish at all.

We did not option the swivel seat because it swivels like 2 inches and seemed like a wasted $400.

After our test ride we will definitely be putting some lead up front and getting a seat riser for my wife(had one on the last boat too).

If anyone has not been in one fire away with questions.  We did not get to surf it but did load it up and check out the wave on the demo boat.

Screenshot_20210922-180527_Drive.jpg

We have similar tastes in colors…Was the M5 in your T22 on a different tranny setup than the 220?  What prop did you run?  Our raptor never made me feel underwhelmed and my dealer swears the M5 will be better than that.  In the grand scheme of things, the motor isn’t much but I just felt it wasn’t warranted but don’t want to disappointed.  Looking really forward to clamping racks but I’d forgo those as they cost as much as the engine upgrade which baffles me.  Could you PM me a cost on the Skylon racks for comparison?

39 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

We have similar tastes in colors…Was the M5 in your T22 on a different tranny setup than the 220?  What prop did you run?  Our raptor never made me feel underwhelmed and my dealer swears the M5 will be better than that.  In the grand scheme of things, the motor isn’t much but I just felt it wasn’t warranted but don’t want to disappointed.  Looking really forward to clamping racks but I’d forgo those as they cost as much as the engine upgrade which baffles me.  Could you PM me a cost on the Skylon racks for comparison?

Our T22 was the last non-malibu engine (PCM 409).  We had the standard prop(2247) because the RPMs were too high with the torque prop(2773). I am sure the M5 is fine but we are not the typical boat owners. We surf competivly and almost all of our boat hours are surfing.  We got to play with the T220 on the water last weekend and full ballast with wedge I did not notice any struggle with the M5 but forgot to check RPMs.

This will be our first boat that is not Red.  

11 hours ago, boardinchick3 said:

I have a T220 arriving at my dealership tomorrow! We will be out on the water in about 10 days to get the break-in period done and hopefully a little bit of riding before the weather decides to freeze. I have the M6 but I'm at altitude so there was no question about needing the bigger engine. 

Congrats.  I'd love to see some pics of the storage areas around the boat and bow.  Trying to figure my ballast/lead setup.  Also pics of wave and setup(s) you're using.  

We did a last minute change thanks to advice of @vanamp.  We cancelled our PTM clamping racks for a set of Skylon Skylocks.  https://www.skylonsports.com/

I was really looking forward to a clamping rack but I know people that have had issues so I figured I'd save some money.  I'm really stoked to be able to lock our boards as we typically leave the boards in the racks on vacation and we've been lucky so far but having the additional security is a great feature.  Hit him up if you're in the market.  

Those Skylocks look awesome.  I will probably look at that upgrade down the road myself.

Once someone has those on their tower, can you post pictures with them mounted with the tower folded down?  I have clearance issues on my garage door to contend with.

Edited by rennis
2 hours ago, wedge88 said:

We did a last minute change thanks to advice of @vanamp.  We cancelled our PTM clamping racks for a set of Skylon Skylocks.  https://www.skylonsports.com/

I was really looking forward to a clamping rack but I know people that have had issues so I figured I'd save some money.  I'm really stoked to be able to lock our boards as we typically leave the boards in the racks on vacation and we've been lucky so far but having the additional security is a great feature.  Hit him up if you're in the market.  

You must save a grand leaving any racks off the build too?  Those Skylon's are awesome.

51 minutes ago, rennis said:

Those Skylocks look awesome.  I will probably look at that upgrade down the road myself.

Once someone has those on their tower, can you post pictures with them mounted with the tower folded down?  I have clearance issues on my garage door to contend with.

These are Roswell racks but the challenge I believe is the fact that when you have racks mounted in lower position, they cannot be rotated inward while you lower your tower . So not sure if you’re referring to garage door width or height? This is a pic of my a24 with a set of ptm’s in the upper position and Roswell in the lower . I may not have answered your question at all . I have to lower my tower each time I back into the garage 

663A0AA9-7996-455E-A34D-80A45B39F457.jpeg