Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buffing dark hulls

TwoMargaritasPlease

17 hours ago, TwoMargaritasPlease said:

I just have to give an unsolicited plug to 3M for their Perfect-It Gelcoat Light Cutting Polish + Wax, 36110. I have been using automotive polishes for years (because that's my background) but was never satisfied with the results. I tried this stuff and and I am super impressed. My black hull is better than new and no swirl marks. 

MniYGcp.jpg

lW35axH.jpg

For some reason I am unable to view the photos.  

How did you apply and remove?  All by hand?

19 hours ago, TwoMargaritasPlease said:

I just have to give an unsolicited plug to 3M for their Perfect-It Gelcoat Light Cutting Polish + Wax, 36110. I have been using automotive polishes for years (because that's my background) but was never satisfied with the results. I tried this stuff and and I am super impressed. My black hull is better than new and no swirl marks. 

MniYGcp.jpg

lW35axH.jpg

Well I thought I replied to this yesterday. 
I have been using the Finesse It II for at least 7 yrs. 

If you really want that to pop a little more, and seal up nice. Put 2 coats of Jescars on it. This process is my winter detail. 

https://www.amazon.com/Jescar-Power-Lock-Polymer-Sealant/dp/B01L2ITBLW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?adgrpid=66082195364&dchild=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjNmPmv-S8wIVwxatBh0Qaw56EAAYAiAAEgL4QfD_BwE&hvadid=321759075056&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=1014019&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=10137443900407587902&hvtargid=kwd-383290556299&hydadcr=19011_9707887&keywords=jescar+sealant&qid=1632327882&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A2FYWYS5HRG3VU&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzMTU3TVBDVFRZRjdKJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODEwOTIzM0haNFMyWjFEUExITSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjQ3MTk2MVdHSjZCVzFVMDgxQiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX3Bob25lX3NlYXJjaF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Five Cent Worth said:

For some reason I am unable to view the photos.  

https://imgur.com/MniYGcp

https://imgur.com/lW35axH

3 hours ago, Tfitch03 said:

wow, looks great! what speed did you run your buffer on? What type of pad?

600 RPM. I started with a wool pad to buff out imperfections and bring up the shine. This left swirl marks so I followed with a fine foam pad using the same product and the swirls disappeared.

2 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

I have been using the Finesse It II for at least 7 yrs. 

If you really want that to pop a little more, and seal up nice. Put 2 coats of Jescars on it. This process is my winter detail. 

Yes I have Finesse It II but I always struggle with swirl marks. Maybe I'm using the wrong equipment. Thanks for the Jescars tip, I will try it!

If you're going to try Jescar Power-loc, take a look at the Power-Loc +.  I used it this year on both the RLXi and the LSV and it's awesome.  Similar formula, but with an SiO2 additive.  

Both of my boats have a lot of black on them and I've never used Finesse it.  I've been using Menzerna products as of the last few years with great results, so I've had no reason to alter the recipe. 

• Like 2
On 9/22/2021 at 10:39 AM, RCorsa said:

Wow that is beautiful.  Marking me Re think my aversion to a black hull after my last one 

My last two boats have been. Black with blue accents. I have a build slot for a 22 25LSV. it will also be black. We haven’t decided on our accents yet.  
FWIW I am running  a small runabout right now. It is white. This small runabout made me decide, I will NEVER have a white boat where we boat now.  YMMV

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, MarkW said:

What tool are you guys using? Rotary or DA?

I've been using a variable speed DA.  I've never had a need for a rotary with my boats.  The LSV is new, so as long as I stay up on it, it shouldn't be an issue.  The RLXi was a little rough when I got it, so I wet sanded, corrected, polished, and sealed it and have not had a need for a rotary since then. You have to stay on top of black or you'll have a need for the rotary IME.

On 9/29/2021 at 10:54 AM, MarkW said:

What tool are you guys using? Rotary or DA?

I use a 7" variable speed rotary polisher, it's a workhorse. I suspect my boat takes a little more abuse than Slayer's. Lots of scuff marks from fenders and the mooring cover.

1 hour ago, TwoMargaritasPlease said:

I use a 7" variable speed rotary polisher, it's a workhorse. I suspect my boat takes a little more abuse than Slayer's. Lots of scuff marks from fenders and the mooring cover.

What brand of polishing pads are you using, and what material/cut?