Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 23 MXZ trailer brakes are smoking after coming down a 1.5 mile hill.

dwc032

As the title states. I have been having to lock out the surge brakes on my trailer to keep them from smoking and getting very hot. It is only one disc brake that is smoking. Please see pic and let me know if anyone can tell me what the problem is.  I have an appointment at the local brake shop to have the trailer checked out. It only does it coming down steep hills where I have to use the brakes on a consistent basis.  

A51F9C2D-FB09-4ED9-852D-0881DDF9CC48.jpeg

Edited by dwc032

I had a caliper lock up once a few years back...piston was frozen in the partially out position causing the pads to rub.  I had to replace the caliper.  Maybe the issue you are having?

7 hours ago, dwc032 said:

As the title states. I have been having to lock out the surge brakes on my trailer to keep them from smoking and getting very hot. It is only one disc brake that is smoking. Please see pic and let me know if anyone can tell me what the problem is.  I have an appointment at the local brake shop to have the trailer checked out. It only does it coming down steep hills where I have to use the brakes on a consistent basis.  

A51F9C2D-FB09-4ED9-852D-0881DDF9CC48.jpeg

Is that a triple axel trailer? My brothers 25lsv had the same issue. His rear caliper on the starboard side burst into flames on the highway. Luckily I was behind him to tell him to stop so we could put it out before any real damage. I would call your dealer, his was fixed under warranty.

No sir it is a double axle trailer. Yeah that is why I have been locking the trailer out when going down a hill, I am afraid it will burst into flames.  Yes I believe this will be a warranty item, I will confirm with my dealer today.  I will keep you guys posted.  

3 minutes ago, justgary said:

Is it possible to downshift and let engine braking help control your speed?  This always seems like a preferable choice to me.

Being surge breaks don’t think that would make any difference as they apply when the tongue compresses. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have the same issue on my 2021 a24.  I even put my truck into gear 1 going down the hill and still had it smoking pretty bad.  I have to have my dealer look into it as well.  Glad (I guess??) to hear I'm not the only one having an issue with brakes smoking on a new trailer.  Mine was my rear starboard side that keeps smoking bad.  Wonder if yours is the same?

It seems like electric over hydraulic would be a big benefit to these big boats heading down a hill.  Surge brakes can get touchy heading down long grades especially with exhaust brakes even if they are in good shape.  

• Like 2

I talked to the dealer, they said they have had a few of 2020 and newer trailers come in the last couple years. 

I am told that the calipers keep sticking and need to be greased. I will see what I can do, I am not driving 7 hours round trip to take to the dealer so they can fix it. 

You could have a dragging pad or it could be that the other three are about to smoke.

Any time you are slowing the tow vehicle the surge brakes will be activated and building heat so long duration light breaking is not good.

I can see where EOH would give you control over the when part of the breaking but unless the tow rig can do all the stopping and you are using a lockout via the reverse lights it still is going to be an issue.

Disclaimer, this is my thinking, following my suggestion could lead to equipment damage or death.

What I do traffic allowing (careful not to jackknife) is short bursts of heavy breaking.  Say from speed limit take off 20 mph and then coast till build up speed again.  The rate of heat dissipation is proportional to the difference in the temp of the brakes and the air flowing over them.  Short burst of heavy breaking gets the rotors really hot quickly so they are shedding heat (energy) as fast as possible.  The short duration of the breaking also gives them the most time for cooling of both calipers and brakes between application of the brakes.  This is especially important for the calipers and pads since the pads getting too hot is what causes brake fade.  

I was taught that on down grade, use the brakes firmly to get 10-15mph below the speed limit.  Then allow the vehicle to coast up to (or past if your comfortable) the speed limit.  Rise and repeat.  The theory was that you heat the brakes up quick, but you're out of them just as quick.  When you're coasting, your shedding heat.

Because of the surge mechanism at the tongue, you might actually have to bump the throttle to disengage them.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I have Electric over Hydraulic now. If I use lower gear and engine braking without lighting up your brake lights, it worked well to keep trailers brakes cool.

Edited by dalt1