Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M220 Wrong color

mountainman84

We just took delivery of our 2022 M220.  This is are third Malibu boat we bought new in Black and yellow metallic (Company colors).  Inspected the boat in the show room and it appeared black however after dealer delivered the boat to the lake and we got it out in the sun the top half and interior fiberglass are a very dark blue metallic.  The order clearly states its ebony metallic however the more I am around the boat it is blue.   I have attached pictures of the boat at the dealership then pictures upon delivery to the lake and first time on lake. I have had the dealer reach out to Malibu and I personal sent a message to the Malibu customer service last week and have yet to hear from them.  After spending this much money I am looking for advise as I love the boat but I am not happy about the color nor will I keep it this color. Does anyone have a contact phone number for Malibu customer support or a contact person to talk with at Malibu? 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BK7n96DtGgKbwQsT9

Beautiful boat!

hard to tell from the pics, but I can tell you from experience that the metallic colors change the overall tone of the base color (hard to explain). but from the pictures, it kind of looks like it needs a good coat of wax.

I would be more concerned with the gel coat lines. where the Metallic meets the ebony hull, it does not look straight. 

We just got an M220 in that is black metallic and silver metallic. The black almost has a blue hue to it. It looks like the flake may have some blue in it causing it to look like that.

I suspect yours may be the same.

Which black metallic did you choose?  The outside of the boat looks like ebony metallic to me, but they offer ebony metallic, ebony sumter metallic, ebony gold metallic and ebony vapor metallic.  We are considering ebony vapor metallic for our new 25 LSV order.  The picture next to the windshield does look to have a blue hue to it, but I don't see that in the other photos.  What does your build sheet say for deck base color?  

One thing to consider is...there are many diff shades of black. Most blacks have slight amounts of other colors in the mix. Some black cars have hints of blue or red for example. Who knows. Great looking boat tho!

Our 2021 23 MXZ was done with Ebony Metallic and does not show that blue hue in any light.  If you were expecting the Ebony Metallic I can see where you would be disappointed.  Agree that your build sheet will be your friend.  Would suggest that in every written and verbal communication you use the full color name since they have so many "black" colors, is will help the narrative you push into Malibu stay consistent.  

I have no idea what ebony vapor metallic looks like, how is "vapor" a color?

The main thing that caught my eye in the pictures is the Sea Deck or Gatorstep materials above the swim platform starboard side appear to be damaged. Can't really see the blue in black flake viewing the pictures on my phone. 

43 minutes ago, NEMO300BLK said:

I manufacture automotive coatings for a living and that is a dark blue metallic and not black.  Whether that is the intended color, I don't know.  

Flake gel coat is hard to compart to automotive coatings. Could it be dark blue? Sure, but I don't think it is based on how the two sections at the bow match up. The flakes that create the flake can change how a color looks for sure and now that they are offering multiple different black flakes it will for sure change how it looks. The charcoal metallic years ago looked purple in certain light. I'd like to see nice, clean pictures of where the bow black and hull black meet. It is very difficult to make a judgement in some of those pictures given the lighting, shadows, dirt and blurry pictures.

I think the first pic in his link is pretty clear in what he is describing.  If he didn't order the flake, he definitely got flake.  Weather this is blue or black, it would take some additional photos.  I am with @mountainman84though, I think it has a serious shade of blue in it.

21 minutes ago, Five Cent Worth said:

I think the first pic in his link is pretty clear in what he is describing.  If he didn't order the flake, he definitely got flake.  Weather this is blue or black, it would take some additional photos.  I am with @mountainman84though, I think it has a serious shade of blue in it.

He states the build sheet orders ebony metallic.

• 9 months later...

Hey, I have the same problem. I had a purple 23 lsv ordered my 2022 m240 just picked it up yesterday and my purple almost looks blue. Definitely not the same purple as my 2019!! Kinda disappointed as I loved the vibrant purple my lsv was. 

1 hour ago, Thompson7 said:

Hey, I have the same problem. I had a purple 23 lsv ordered my 2022 m240 just picked it up yesterday and my purple almost looks blue. Definitely not the same purple as my 2019!! Kinda disappointed as I loved the vibrant purple my lsv was. 

That's on you/the dealer. there have been many posts and the dealer should have samples of the purple. It's been out for a few years now. I like it. Depending on what you pair it with, it can look purple or a blue hint to it.