Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

manual vs floating wedge and FAE

twsnjcga

I have a 2001 Sunsetter VLX with a manual wedge (stainless foil). I'm considering adding a FAE, but I'm concerned that the FAE will make setting and releasing the manual wedge even more or pain than it is today.

Questions: 1) is this a valid concern, 2) if I do the FAE upgrade with the manual wedge and I hate it, then do I have to redo the FAE again if I upgrade to a floating wedge? 3) I don't know exactly how the floating wedge works, but it sure seems like one could make a manual wedge "float" by simply not locking it in at the bottom. Does this work?

I can only speak to question 3 - I have a manual wedge on my '06 23LSV, and the pins don't work very well when it is locked all the way down, so it often pops out of being locked and "floats".  What basically happens is that the drag forces it all the way back up, so it really doesn't function at all.  I think a floating wedge must have a different design (angle of wedge or something) to actually float as opposed to just being forced all the way up.  I was hoping for the same simple solution to getting a floating wedge, but no such luck.  

I am considering adding the FAE to mine as well, so I look forward to other knowledgeable responses to your other questions.  Good luck!! 

1 hour ago, AZRhino said:

I can only speak to question 3 - I have a manual wedge on my '06 23LSV, and the pins don't work very well when it is locked all the way down, so it often pops out of being locked and "floats". 

Something is bent or out of adjustment.  This should not happen (and it's the first time on this forum I've ever heard of it happening.)  You should do some looking at yours to see if there's a broken pin or bent bracket?

As far as the manual vs. floating, the angle of the foil is different.  The floating wedge is angled down so that it sucks itself down as you drive.  I am reasonably sure the bracket for the manual will work if you convert to floating -- Bakes sells them for $799.  

FAE will make it harder to drop the wedge.  Up to you if it's worth it.

vLgr2ID.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

You will need a bracket for a floating wedge. Activewake sells both 510 for the bracket and 799 for the wedge. If you upgrade I’ll buy your manual wedge been searching for one forever!