Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Keep boat from fading

pdxrob

I'll be storing my boat on a lift under cover but the back end will get a healthy dose of afternoon sun. I'm worried about the exterior paint fading over time. Has anybody found ways to protect against this? Will ceramic coating do the trick? 

Thank you!

Get it shaded/covered in some way, like blinds that roll down when you pull into the lift.  If you can't get it shaded/covered, 303 protectant has UV protection; so does Babes Boat Bright (although I suspect not like 303); so does Marine 31 Captains Coating with UV 50.  Ceramics usually provide UV protection but it would be nice to see some numbers on how much (for all these products).  Also, gelcoat (the stuff that looks like paint on the boat unless you actually had the boat painted) is more porous than paint so I would look for a ceramic coating specifically made for gelcoat if that's the route you go.   

Gelcoat will absolutely fade in a non-uniform way over time if only part of the boat is protected from the sun so do what you can to get it shaded/covered.   Good luck.  

Edited by jjackkrash
7 hours ago, pdxrob said:

I'll be storing my boat on a lift under cover but the back end will get a healthy dose of afternoon sun. I'm worried about the exterior paint fading over time. Has anybody found ways to protect against this? Will ceramic coating do the trick? 

Thank you!

FWIW, I purchased my boat in 2006.  It has lived on a covered lift at a marina 24/7/365 ever since.  I also get afternoon sun on the back end.

I cover my boat with the original Great Lakes cover that came with it from the factory.  It extends all the way down around the edge of the swim platform.  I clean the cover yearly by stretching it out doubled-over an old ski rope tied between a couple of trees and using an electric power washer, followed by 303 Fabric Guard if needed (I can tell whether or not the water is beading up when wet;  if not, it gets re-coated with 303).  Taken care of, your cover will last a long time!

As far as the boat itself, I wipe it down thoroughly with The Absorber, a synthetic chamois-like product found at Walmart and most auto parts stores, after every use.  I use Star brite Premium Marine Polish with PTEF about every 6 months and, during the season, a spritz of Babe's Boat Bright after every four outings or so.  That's it!!  

The Star brite polish is relatively inexpensive, easy to find (my local Academy sells it), and easy to apply.  I don't know if the Babe's spray-on wax is even necessary, but it's very easy to apply, smells good, and really brings out a shine.  

IMHO, my boat's gelcoat still looks fantastic.  I get compliments all the time!  

• Like 2

Look into a "waterline" cover that hangs down on the sides if you are really concerned about the UV and cannot clean/wax regularly.  They don't work for every situation but it will keep the UV off the side.  We use the platform to finish covering and as a the starting point to uncover.  The waterline cover goes over the platform and you cannot really stand on it, which means you need to get in the water to get at the ratchets.  We have a canopy, just use the std cover and give it some love during the year.