Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which and What Size Subwoofer

roonedoggie

In my last 2 stereo I have gone with JL W3 12" subwoofer.  In the past my best sounding system was with a Rockford Fosgate T2 10", must higher quality then the JL W3 and smaller.  I am trying to decide either a RF T2 or JL W7 10" or back with high end 12/13" T2 or W7. The last 2 systems were ported facing out under helm. The 10" T2 was facing the hull. 

Thoughts... would love to hear folks feedback. This system is going into a 2022 25LSV. Thanks. FYI I will be going with Exile Audio for tower speakers....

Edited by roonedoggie
wrong boat year

From an acoustical standpoint, there is almost never an advantage to going with less driver surface area. This holds true for woofers, tower speakers and in-boats.  So id go with a 12" over a 10" in whatever brand/series woofer you prefer. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2021 at 5:47 PM, roonedoggie said:

In my last 2 stereo I have gone with JL W3 12" subwoofer.  In the past my best sounding system was with a Rockford Fosgate T2 10", must higher quality then the JL W3 and smaller.  I am trying to decide either a RF T2 or JL W7 10" or back with high end 12/13" T2 or W7. The last 2 systems were ported facing out under helm. The 10" T2 was facing the hull. 

Thoughts... would love to hear folks feedback. This system is going into a 2022 25LSV. Thanks. FYI I will be going with Exile Audio for tower speakers....

I currently have the Rockford 13" T2 sub in my '22 25LSV in a ported box under the helm with a TREO SSX2000 amp powering it and it sounds really good!  Make sure you have the ported box built to the correct specs for maximum output.  I previously had the 13" T2 in my last boat but the ported box was build .5 cubic feet too small (was only option to fit under helm with heater core) and we first tried that in my 25LSV and it didn't sound great.  Once we rebuilt the box to recommended specs it was night and day!  Hits hard but also sounds good with rock (Pearl Jam) and all genres.

I have two subs in my 2019 25LSV.  I built a ported box under the helm for a JL 12W6v3D4.  It's daaaaaaang!  But it's a big boat and I don't like the sub hammering hard enough between my legs to make the folks back in the other time zone along the rear bench feel the sound is balanced.  So I have another JL 12W6v3D4 in a JL HO Ported Box underneath the seats along the port side all the way back.  That balances the sound out nice all through the boat.

Both subs are powered from a Wetsounds SDX2.

Edited by Slurpee
  • 3 months later...
thewakesetter

I have the exact same boat you have! I am currently putting in (5) Wetsounds Revoxxx 15s.(Ridiculous I know) I have run kicker, JL, Arc, etc. They are hands down the best subs for boats and throw out a ton of clean bass. I love JL but I have melted lots of voice coils on my last boat until I switched to wetsounds. Finding a legit marine sub makes a huge difference in performance and reliability. Also putting the subs in the correct spot is key as well. 

Edited by thewakesetter
18 hours ago, thewakesetter said:

I have the exact same boat you have! I am currently putting in (5) Wetsounds Revoxxx 15s.(Ridiculous I know) I have run kicker, JL, Arc, etc. They are hands down the best subs for boats and throw out a ton of clean bass. I love JL but I have melted lots of voice coils on my last boat until I switched to wetsounds. Finding a legit marine sub makes a huge difference in performance and reliability. Also putting the subs in the correct spot is key as well. 

If youre actually melting voice coils then you were probably clipping the amp.