Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Drain plug hack. Don’t forget the plugs!

NBAgoodtime

Great Tip!! I could have used this tip last year when we got a new boat without a key😁 I always used to throw the drain plug and the key together so I wouldn’t forget, but had a small incident since I no longer needed a key😬Thanks for sharing😁

Lonnie

Edited by LonnieJ
  • 2 weeks later...

I only ever remove the rear one in the transom, it is in the glove box of my truck on the plug wrench.  It gets put in the cupholder of the truck when I pull out the parking hang tag. 

The plug has to be removed/installed at the ramp so it is just a thing you do 100% of the time.

11 hours ago, MTBoy said:

For the first time in about 20 years I forgot to put mine in last week.  Had to buy some of these after reading this thread.

yup, 6 pack of the 18" ones on amazon for $11.99, that's a no-brainer.

I just leave mine in now.  2021 23 LSV and every time I pull the plugs no water comes out, even on a steep launch ramp.  The bilge pumps must be placed perfectly it seems.

56 minutes ago, JohnnyFive said:

I just leave mine in now.  2021 23 LSV and every time I pull the plugs no water comes out, even on a steep launch ramp.  The bilge pumps must be placed perfectly it seems.

Bad idea if storing on the trailer and outside. If your cover fails for some reason you're boat can fill with water and cause major damage. If you store inside then obviously not an issue.

57 minutes ago, JohnnyFive said:

I never get any water out of mine, but getting caught transporting with the plug in is a big ticket.

My boat is only stored inside but didn't know about the trailering law, with the invasive species stuff going on I guess it makes sense.  With with previous 2 boats I would always pull the plug because there would always be some water in there but with this 23 lsv it's just bone dry all the time.  Ill go back to my old routine of pulling it at the ramp.