Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Low pitched noise/vibration

Molarroller

Just noticed the past week….when I put the boat into neutral after being in gear about 3-5 seconds go by and then there is a low pitched noise accompanied with a slight vibration.  Doesn’t happen every time but fairly often.  It lasts for 1-2 seconds.  Assuming this is the prop coming to a full stop but do not know?  But not sure why the noise

Any thoughts? 

Thanks

I would not ignore this. I heard this on a friends boat although it was not 3/5 seconds after pulling the throttle back. He had a strut and shaft issue and some bolts were over tightened. 

On 9/10/2021 at 4:01 PM, Molarroller said:

Just noticed the past week….when I put the boat into neutral after being in gear about 3-5 seconds go by and then there is a low pitched noise accompanied with a slight vibration.  Doesn’t happen every time but fairly often.  It lasts for 1-2 seconds.  Assuming this is the prop coming to a full stop but do not know?  But not sure why the noise

Any thoughts? 

Thanks

I had a similar issue in July and it got worse and worse.   Didn’t realize my engine mount bolts had come loose.   My engine was moving forward and the vibration was my prop pushing against my shaft strut.  The noise when I put it in neutral was the engine moving backward into place.    Anyway, new engine mounts, new shaft coupler, new shaft, new strut, and a new propeller to get it all fixed.   

Catch it and find it BEFORE it becomes a potentially costly repair.    Hope this helps as one potential area to inspect.