Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast Pump electrical connector

JZmalibusunvlx

Terminals are either push to seat or pull to seat. You can buy terminal release tools from auto parts stores for those delphi style connectors. I think those are push to seat, so they come back out the back of the connector. Otherwise, ditch the connectors and splice the wires. The factory uses the connectors simply for making it faster to assemble the boat. There is ZERO electrical benefit to the connectors. 

• Like 3

I believe all you have to do is pull the little tab from the male portion with your finger and pull back at the same time. It will pop right off. The type shown is the most basic of connectors. Many others have an additional "keeper" to prevent the connectors from disconnecting inadvertently. 

you need a weatherpack terminal removal tool, which will release the pins from the connectors.  Example: https://www.amazon.com/Delphi-Weather-Connector-Terminal-Removal/dp/B085HNNGGY/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwhOyJBhA4EiwAEcJdcaBIUYZN0I9Fl7WO1she7j-Jk3K8ZBFALejbjoMHBzKxTdsI1qCs7RoCpb4QAvD_BwE&hvadid=313484759267&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9030895&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=17185157226433134286&hvtargid=kwd-319189089525&hydadcr=24625_9648884&keywords=weather+pack+pin+removal+tool&qid=1631279267&sr=8-5

but remember you will also need new pins for the wires on your new pump when you insert those wires into the female side of the connector.

Edited by shawndoggy
11 hours ago, MLA said:

ditch the connectors and splice the wires. The factory uses the connectors simply for making it faster to assemble the boat. There is ZERO electrical benefit to the connectors. 

exactly what I was going to say, ditch those and splice.  Then use some heat shrink and begone with those things.

Man I 100% disagree with hacking up the wiring harness.  Buy a set of weatherpack crimpers and some weatherpack connectors from amazon and install it like it's a factory job.  Yeah it will cost you an extra $35 now, but you'll have nine more connectors in your 10 pack to use on future projects to keep everything clean and "factory."  Do it like a boss!

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 3

The only downside of cutting and splicing the connector is if for some reason you need warranty coverage for the harness in the future it will be voided my modifying the harness.  There is nothing wrong with using the weather pack connector and they actually work very well.  It sure makes it easier to swap a pump motor when diagnosing a ballast problem.

The release tool that shawndoggy linked to is one that I use almost daily.  (They only end up broken after one of the other guys in the shop borrows them.)

Edited by csleaver
  • Like 2