Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Factory Colors and Specs

SusanSiskReynolds

I had to do some gel work on my 88 Skier and Spectrum is who you want to call for factory color matched gel coat.  The bad news was the minimum quantity for the color matched gel is a gallon.  Not cheap but it was a perfect match.  

Ahh.  I am in pain tonight.  I finally got my mint 1990 Malibu Skier Euro f3 in the water.  Had a wonderful day out on the lake.  No mishaps, everything went perfectly.  Boat ran like a champ.  Then came time to get it on the trailer.  The boat ramp wasn't quite as steep as you would want.  While pulling the boat chines up onto the bunks, one of the bunks came loose without my knowledge and slid to the side, exposing the steel brackets that the bunks fasten to.  I cranked the boat up halfway onto the trailer and realized the bunk was not aligned right/ something was wrong.  Pushed the boat back off the trailer into the water to find the the rear of the left bunk came loose and had pivoted to the side.  The result was that the hull which was flawless stem to stern now has a number of deep gouges thru the gel coat into the underlying glass layer.  So bummed.  OK, enough licking my wounds.  I would like to match the gel coat as close as possible but have been having difficulty finding a color match on the Spectrum site as well as other sites.  I think I can get away with some grinding with a Dremel tool and some filler putty to fill the gouge before applying gelcoat.  Anyone have any ideas what color white would match my original gel coat color?  Any and all advice would be helpful.  Many thanks.

Edited by JohnBrabant

Give Spectrum a call and see what they say.  If it's on the bottom of the boat and no one will see it you might be able to just use a generic white.  When filling the gouge in the bottom be sure to use a fiber filler (has fiberglass strands in it).  Good luck!