Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slalom rack for 2021 VLX w G5 tower

dhaws

Does anyone know of an after market option for a slalom ski rack for the G5 tower? I have a 2021 VLX. We've been told Malibu is not making a rack wide enough for slalom skis for the G5 tower. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

The slalom rack they currently offer can be modified fairly easily to fit the G5 tower.  Basically you need to drill and tap two holes (3/8-16) in the rack. Use the original rack dovetail mount as a location guide. Be careful not to drill through.  After that it will bolt right up.  I leave the dovetail mount in place and bolt through it, although you don’t have to it keeps it from getting lost. The only downside is that you can no longer slide the rack off the dovetail by using the set screw. You have to remove both mounting bolts. The upside is the rack can still be used on the towers it was designed for if you ever move it to a different boat. The mod does not impact its original design function at all.

I did this on my milling machine, but it could be done with just a drill press.  I would not attempt it with a hand held drill.

Note that I have not attempted folding the tower with these racks installed. I assume they would need to be removed.

Correction to my previous post. This only works on the port side rack. It turns out that the port and starboard slalom rack mounts are the same shape, not mirrored. The “Malibu” script is changed to be correct for the side is is mounted on, but the shape is the same. This matters because the mount interferes with the tower tube on the starboard side. This also can be remedied, but it means taking a hacksaw to your new $700+ rack and lopping off a corner. Not cool.

I would recommend getting a pair of port side slalom racks (if you need two), and put the board racks on the starboard side.

I already bought my slalom racks (one for each side), so I’m probably going the hacksaw route.

• 1 year later...

I have been looking for waterski racks for a 2023 22LSV.  I found this yesterday.  I called the company up in Canada and they make them to fit the lower or upper set of holes.  Now if I could find a boom for the boat, I would be set.

Samson Sports

https://samsonsports.com › product › malibu-g5-typho...

Bolts onto your G5 tower using the factory holes. Easy release handle, locks boards in place (no buttons or pins). Typhoon Spinning Board Rack Installation.