Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hull white gell coat chipping

Looking at a 2014 VTX.  Hull has several chips size of a 1/8 to 1/4 inch  right on ribs that run length of boat.  Almost appears as if there are air pockets between gell and raw fiberglass.    Anyone else seeing this on their boats or know if should be repaired?   Thanks for any info

EE48CAAC-68C9-408F-9206-6324B14D7B60.jpeg

4D1C99E3-379C-47F1-924A-9BB4A9EB98EC.jpeg

0581D17A-9DF5-4DCC-9180-2F7C45284A99.jpeg

7 minutes ago, REHinH20 said:

Not seeing or offering any theory as to why, but the answer is YES, get that repaired!!

Agree on getting it fixed, boats don't react well to holes.  I would say they are hitting submerged items OR judging by the condition of the rest of the hull, i wonder if it is stored in the water and had standing water in the boat as well.

almost looks like that boat got away from being tied up and smacked against shoreline rocks for a while.  Those 100% should be repaired before using it.  That is also a good sign where the current owner definitely did not take good care of the boat leaving those holes exposed?  How does the inside look and the bilge?  

Signs of water in hull.  Some mold noted on bilge pump lines etc.   confident not impact...no other scratches around these areas....Gell coat flakey around area.   I think there were small gaps between fiber glass and gel coat        ...can lightly tap with hammer and chip more away.  Almost appears as manufacture defect.   I believe boat was not completely raised in lift when not in use which also played a role in the deterioration .   Thanks for all the inputs gents.  Appreciated .  Any thoughts on cost of repairs like this and what it would run to re gell coat from rub rail down (entire hull)?

3 hours ago, hawaiianstyln said:

almost looks like that boat got away from being tied up and smacked against shoreline rocks for a while.  Those 100% should be repaired before using it.  That is also a good sign where the current owner definitely did not take good care of the boat leaving those holes exposed?  How does the inside look and the bilge?  

My guess is the flaking is from the boat being left in the water after the holes were there.  I would suggest a local price on the repair since that will vary greatly from area to area.