Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 LSV Prop

Wakeskate77

I have a 2017 LSV 23 with the 410. Had an OJ 950 that it came with and that thing could push whatever I put in it. PNP, 12 people, full tank, etc.  Anyway, that prop got dinged up so I switched to my backup 2277 and it wont even push full ballast with nobody in it.  I surf mostly at 450' above sea level.  Any suggestions?

The OJ was running like 4,500 though and did make me nervous.

I along with many others on this site have had no problems running the 2277 prop on these year boats.  When I purchased the boat it had the 2249 prop and that thing was a beast, but ran way high RPM's when surfing and cruising it topped out at like 32 mph.  I think they call that the high altitude prop.  If you really meant 450' elevation and not 4500', I don't see how you cant push an empty fully loaded boat with that prop.  Boats are meant to run high RPM, so I wouldn't be worried about that, if the previous prop worked great, get it repaired.  There is always a give and take with props, low end grunt to get a fully loaded boat out the hole, but that comes with high RPM and gas usage. 

What do you have for ballast on your boat?  With the prop you are running, you may need to change it up a bit to make it work.  I realized after loading up mine with PNP and bow sack that it was a great wave, but I can have just as much fun with just a little PNP on the surf side with 450lbs of lead in the bow. 

I have the PNP and usually run 450 in the bow. I'm on a river with decent amount of current so that may be a factor. I'm going to purchase one regardless, would there be any negatives to getting the 2249 other than top end speed and higher RPM?

19 hours ago, Wakeskate77 said:

I have the PNP and usually run 450 in the bow. I'm on a river with decent amount of current so that may be a factor. I'm going to purchase one regardless, would there be any negatives to getting the 2249 other than top end speed and higher RPM?

No negatives.  It's considered the high altitude prop for your boat and will do fine other than slightly higher RPM's and lower top speed.  

Do a search on here for the 2 props, oj and acme 2249, the oj may be more aggressive. If I knew something worked for me I would probably stick with it than trying something new.  I know for me personally, the 2249 had the RPM's way up which I dint want or really need.  I know with my setup with only 450 extra in the bow, I cant run my full PNP which are sumo 8xx I believe,  I would need more bow weight.  Problem with these year boats, is the prop shaft has a good amount of angle.  Couple that with huge weight in the rear and the boat points the bow straight up and you loose a bunch of forward movement and cant get on plain.  Prop selection is a give and take scenario, you have to choose what works in your situation.  For me I would rather run less ballast and have the RPM's down while surfing, but also while cruising since we do a lot of that.

If the OJ just got dinged up, I would fix it and keep the extra money for something else.  

• 3 weeks later...

I have both a 2315 and a 2419 for my 15 23lsv with 410ss.  Both throw great surf waves, the 2419 is noticeably better for surfing though, at the expense of having a 34mph top speed vs the 38ish that the 2315 gets.  I don’t know if our gear ratio is the same but I found my 2315 prop was struggling to keep over 11 mph when surfing with hard tanks, and pnp slammed.   I have been waiting on a wedge part for a month so haven’t been surfing to notice what my rpms run surfing w the 2419.