Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bu loosing Tower Wars?

The Hulk

On 9/7/2021 at 6:20 AM, The Hulk said:

After visiting several dealers checking out numerous other boat brands i can't help but see Malibu IMO has fallen way behind on "Tower Wars".. 

Towers are a HUGE, expense, perhaps one of the biggest expenses in these wake boats these days, and dare i say... now for pontoons also. Towers are a major focal & functionality point of these boats. IMO a lot of the brands have put a lot of thought into improvements, designs, functionality.

Malibu is still stuck on G3 towers... yes several minor improvements on G3s and now we have a power G3.(X). The G4 at the time was very modern/different but production capacity issues, minor squeaks and we go back to G3s. , At the time the G4 was quite different and more modern than the G3 series. I said before, i  was sad to see Bu go back to a revised G3 tower with round bar. As mentioned before ppl to this day (non Bu owners) still think boats with a G4 are newer boats than actual newer models... pretty sad when a non bu owner thinks that IMO.. Perhaps the GX had meaning of 10yrs of the G3 design?

driving behind a Bu on the hwy and cant help but notice the tower wiggling side to side.. Granted malibu's have always had the weakest towers for lateral forces in the industry but come on its a 2021! 

i know Bu is swamped with production but they seriously need a new tower soon, and please modernize it a bit! on the other hand maybe its how they have been able to keep the malibu costs so low compared to various competition by maintaining a cheaper tower.

just my .02, sad to see my brand loosing grounds.. 

Have you ever seen a Gx tower up close or messed around with one?  Malibu did recently design a new high-end tower.... the Gx (pronounced G "ten"... meaning much higher spec than a G5 (you mention G3... G3 towers ended in 2020.)  I love my Gx tower.

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, Slayer said:

Not correct.  The z8 is not a power tower.  It is a manual tower that has a button that allows the tower to be indexed to different positions.  You simply depress the button, manually lower it to the desired height while the button is depressed, release the button and the tower remains fixed in the position at which the button is released.  This can be done with the bimini deployed unless the tower is completely lowered.  At that point, the bimini must be stowed.  You can lower it 1", 3" , or whatever is needed for maneuvering into or out of a boat hoist, boat house, under a bridge, etc.  There are no latches to contend with, etc.  I don't have a Gx on my boat, nor do I have any experience with the Gx, but I would suspect that it would do the same thing as the Z8.  The Z10 is the MC power tower.

Sorry if I wasn't clear on how it functions, but it is rather nice and much less expensive than the powered version of the tower.  It's a well executed solution, IMO.

Ahhh I see

But the tower folds backwards and the Bimini is off the front, so wouldn't tipping it back raise the front of the Bimini? Maybe not with the right pivot point and angle of Bimini.

The Gx is a power tower. Just turn the knob/button on the tower and it folds down with an electric motor.

Edited by boardjnky4
15 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

Ahhh I see

But the tower folds backwards and the Bimini is off the front, so wouldn't tipping it back raise the front of the Bimini? Maybe not with the right pivot point and angle of Bimini.

The Gx is a power tower. Just turn the knob/button on the tower and it folds down with an electric motor.

Short answer is yes.  It really depends on how low you need to go.  The bimini operation on that tower is pretty simple, too.  It's a pita if you have boards in it.  We didn't have boards in it when we demoed the XT24.  Just had boards on the rack, which we pulled inward prior to lowering the tower to get it back on the hoist.  We only had to lower it a few inches and were able to do so without taking the boards off the rack.  You would have to remove them to completely lower the tower.  

On 9/7/2021 at 11:36 AM, malibudog said:

Heard the 29LSV is going to have dual telescoping towers with stairs and a platform option for lounging on the top deck.  :)

Water slide optional

2 hours ago, gregtay said:

The G5 is a classic easy to use design, rock solid, and it is iconic in how it looks on the boat.

The Gx is for those who want a few more features (push button to lower (and lower flush with the windshield), integrated cockpit lights, etc.

One thing to think about is that the ability to lower a tower and have low clearance (For a garage door) can make or break a boat sale.  Malibu actually seems to think about this, clearly some of the other OEMs do not.  

Yup.  Without the availability of the G3 garage hoop there would not be a Malibu in my garage.

• Like 2
On 9/7/2021 at 1:36 PM, malibudog said:

Heard the 29LSV is going to have dual telescoping towers with stairs and a platform option for lounging on the top deck.  :)

now your talking, with option for one of those yacht-inflatable slides !

I"d love to have a Gx on my boat.  Unfortunately, it wasn't on the "must have" option list, so we didn't check the box.  I also don't lower my tower......or at least extremely rarely.  

While I was raving about the new MC Zft8, I still prefer the style, look, and function of the G5 on my 23LSV with the ability to have quad racks as @IXFEmentioned it's an industry leading, outstanding tower.  I'd also venture to say that if I were to keep my boat, I could see adding another set of racks.  If I order another Malibu, that may be on the list.  They're quite awesome.  In fact, one of the things our oldest and the better half didn't like about the MC we demoed was the racks.  They are a PITA to use and are nowhere near as robust as the Malibu offering from PTM.   

I actually prefer the look of the Bu towers to all of the other towers on the market! While we are on the topic of towers, can someone talk to Axis about their terrible towers?  That tower on the T250 looks a a popsicle stick project my 4th grader did.

Edited by Chappy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
15 hours ago, IXFE said:

I’ve had two GX towers in a row and there isn’t another tower in the entire industry I’d trade it for.  It’s big, solid, power operated, good looking, and in keeping with Malibu’s design language. The GX absolutely does not sway at all. It is a BRICK!  The power mechanism is actually incredible… it automatically slows down as it approaches the end of either spectrum (up or down). Then it automatically latches in place. It’s like the soft close feature in my new X5. It’s fantastic and removes all doubt about whether it’s all the way up/down/locked/etc. Also, the included PTM racks are still the best in the business (and they were improved in 2020 from prior versions). And as always, if you’re a baller, you can have QUADS!  Is that true on the other towers in the industry. I honestly don’t know.  Kinda doubt it.

Even at $13k, the GX is the easiest box I check every year. And I don’t even need to lower my tower!  I just like it / respect the quality that much. And you can keep your shag carpet @oldjeep, all you need with the GX is a colored hoop to set it off!

I’m sorry @The Hulk, you know I love your ramblings on this forum, but as an actual GX owner (twice) I find this particular rant to be WAY off base. Comparing the GX to the G3 is honestly laughable. And if you think the G4 is superior to the GX then I seriously question your objectivity. I owned several G4 towers also. It was very good for its time, but looks dated now and is substantially less rigid than the GX. 

its nice i agree... i'll def check the box on my 27lsv. ...although its that darn ROUND BAR that needs to GO already!! haha

at least they modified the racks not to hit speakers as easily (depending on board & fins), honestly its time the racks tilt upwards, half the folks would not need to swing them in if they tilted near vertical. with surf pockets i dont see the need for 4-racks personally but maybe on the 27 or 29 lsv with large crews!

still NOT a fan of folding a tower down on the driver for clearing bridges and boat lifts etc, with bimini out the back tilts up as your lowering so you do gain clearance but not s much as with bimini folded up obviously. The size of the bimini needs increased. i know there are those goofy add-on sun shade things but the stock/frame sized needs increased. probably difficult as the front hits window when lowering and the rear would cause issues with tow rope. 

needs a bottle opener with magnet catch on the inside of the tower along with pre-plumbed "side-bar" as a checkbox! i mean misters but no Sidebar? haha

personally i dont like the speakers going back to being lower and on the sides its a lot louder to folks in the boat and you hit your head on them sitting down/getting up IMO the lower ones are in the way a bit IMO

i'll start believing the Bu towers are strong when ya'll start posting photos and videos pulling multiple tubers from them! 

Edited by The Hulk
On 9/7/2021 at 8:20 AM, The Hulk said:

After visiting several dealers checking out numerous other boat brands i can't help but see Malibu IMO has fallen way behind on "Tower Wars".. 

Towers are a HUGE, expense, perhaps one of the biggest expenses in these wake boats these days, and dare i say... now for pontoons also. Towers are a major focal & functionality point of these boats. IMO a lot of the brands have put a lot of thought into improvements, designs, functionality.

Malibu is still stuck on G3 towers... yes several minor improvements on G3s and now we have a power G3.(X). The G4 at the time was very modern/different but production capacity issues, minor squeaks and we go back to G3s. , At the time the G4 was quite different and more modern than the G3 series. I said before, i  was sad to see Bu go back to a revised G3 tower with round bar. As mentioned before ppl to this day (non Bu owners) still think boats with a G4 are newer boats than actual newer models... pretty sad when a non bu owner thinks that IMO.. Perhaps the GX had meaning of 10yrs of the G3 design?

driving behind a Bu on the hwy and cant help but notice the tower wiggling side to side.. Granted malibu's have always had the weakest towers for lateral forces in the industry but come on its a 2021! 

i know Bu is swamped with production but they seriously need a new tower soon, and please modernize it a bit! on the other hand maybe its how they have been able to keep the malibu costs so low compared to various competition by maintaining a cheaper tower.

just my .02, sad to see my brand loosing grounds.. 

you obviously haven't been in a 2012 or so xstar, you should hear that thing creak snd grown pulling up the wakeborder, talk about side to side snd from forward to back movement 

19 hours ago, Chappy said:

I actually prefer the look of the Bu towers to all of the other towers on the market! While we are on the topic of towers, can someone talk to Axis about their terrible towers?  That tower on the T250 looks a a popsicle stick project my 4th grader did.

If The T250 had a better tower it would be called a Malibu.  Which would upset a lot of existing Mailbu owners, especially after it kicks the crap out of their surf wave for a lot less money. 

Gx also has the nifty side tow points already tucked nicely into the design of the tower.  

Yea you have to fold the bimini in, but it does not hit the window with the tower lowered.  With the Great Lakes bimini at least it can all fold back and lay perfectly parallel to the tower.  

On 9/7/2021 at 8:55 AM, oldjeep said:

Sounds like a bunch of crap that maybe 5 people would want. Vinyl panels on a tower?  How about some shag carpet too

My tower has vinyl on it.  The piece on the base are nice and add a luxury touch.  The one on the top portion of the tower is stupid and will just stain with bug splatter over time.

On 9/7/2021 at 11:33 AM, RCorsa said:

Having a g4 tower in my m235 I haven’t had any issues you all report.  The Gx looks just like an power version of that tower.  Having demo the new 2021 paragon I will Say the telescoping tower is AWESOME.  It’s standard on the paragon but if you want it on the g23 you can get it on the 2022 for $22k.  No joke. I couldn’t believe how much it was.   

The new telescoping tower also includes the 4 tower speakers, bimini and a few other things if I dont’t recall at the moment for the $22k.  My rough math the other day had the tower piece of the $22k at around $10k.

13 hours ago, saxton15 said:

Vertical board racks appear cool, but fill both sides with boards and you'll immediately notice how much of a blindspot you've created.  

They are a huge blind spot, but have some positives.  Net-net, I’d go back to horizontal racks if I had the option.

• Like 2

Vertical racks yes anoying visually but no reason they couldn't swivel from horizontal to vertical especially for boat lift entry .. when u swivel racks the interior becomes an obstacle course

On 9/9/2021 at 4:57 AM, The Hulk said:

i'll start believing the Bu towers are strong when ya'll start posting photos and videos pulling multiple tubers from them! 

On no, really? Tubers? On a Malibu? Just when I was starting to respect you...

• Haha 2
10 hours ago, TwoMargaritasPlease said:

On no, really? Tubers? On a Malibu? Just when I was starting to respect you...

Haha ..Sorry I forgot it's a Malibu.. shameful i Know I'll try to not bee seen tubing.. although ill admit seems majority of Malibus and other brand surf boats on our lake spend way more time tubing than surfing. Probably kills ppl on here to hear that haha 

Lots of housewives driving kiddos which is cool to see! 

Edited by The Hulk

Which company will be first on the hard top? Perhaps the paragon? I could see it as a hit. Tinted glass in the roof .. folds down for cabin like feel. Automatic canvus extension like the off shore boats.. storage downwards speakers.. solves rain cover support issues...

16 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

Which company will be first on the hard top? Perhaps the paragon? I could see it as a hit. Tinted glass in the roof .. folds down for cabin like feel. Automatic canvus extension like the off shore boats.. storage downwards speakers.. solves rain cover support issues...

You're single handedly rocketing this industry into the 500K territory.  

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, saxton15 said:

You're single handedly rocketing this industry into the 500K territory.  

Haha we'll after a weekend in FL i saw a rabolo boat then checked out their site i saw a nice Rabolo R317 boat.. lots of nice features for when I retire in FL! 😂 But seeing all these hard tops had me thinking why not wake boats! 

I mean heck pontoons now have somewhat hard tops! With actuating paragon style movements and pivots to keep top level during raising and lowering.. wake boats are falling behind.. 

Edited by The Hulk