Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wont tuen left

StonedMunkey

2020 23lsv m6di  100 hrs

Everything was great today- until 3 pm.  we surf port side and basically we do water sports all day (surf).  The steering decided to take a crap.  The boat was unable to turn left- even with the wheel turned all the way left it would make a right hand tuen.. hard. 

We stopped- had to open the back compartment where you can normally sit with feet on swim deck and my buddy had to manually push the rudder so I could tuen left.  It would stay there if i was just under 7mph- any faster and the force was too much and then would make a hard right.  We just took our time and limped back.  

I read on here and saw some ppl that may have had this happen??? i dont know.   Anyway- there is no cable on this boat That i can access.  Its a hard shaft connected to the rudder.  Hydrolic i am assuming.  its like irs bleeding off and not strong enough.  

I would like to know how to #1 fix this bc the warranty isnt always gonna be there and #2 prevent it from happening? 

thoughts? 

18 hours ago, vaporbluebu said:

Did you verify the surfgate closed? Almost sounds like it was stuck open causing you to fight it.

yes the surf gate was closed. We had to manually turn the rudder to be able to turn left if we made any right hand turn at all it would not turn left even though the steering wheel was turned all of the way. And when I say it would turn right even though the steering wheel is turned all the way left, it’s as if the steering wheel was turned all the way to the right. When we were going just at low speed and I’m talking 1 mph and turn all the way left just by giving it the throttle the force would turn the rotor to where we would bank Hard right.  The manual has been no help because essentially all that it says is to let the dealer mess with it And not to touch it basically

Edited by StonedMunkey

It almost sounds like your steering cable broke.  If it is really hydraulic steering, you may have a leak.  A bad seal can let air in, which makes hydraulic systems rather worthless.

• Thanks 1