Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Solved: Bilge float in-line fuse location

I saw a couple of other posts asking this same question, but no answers….

2000 Sunsetter LXi with the 325 Monsoon. Attwood Sahara S500 bilge. The float switch isn’t working, but the helm switch is.

The bilge circuit breaker is not tripped, and as far as I know the float switch should be on its own circuit, direct to the battery, with an in-line fuse. I can’t find that fuse anywhere. I’d find it hard to believe it’d be inside the conduit and buried under the hull.

Any ideas?

I need to come back with a meter to make sure the fuse is really my issue, but I suspect it is because a stick was blocking the pump impeller. Guessing that caused the fuse to blow.

I’m tempted to just run a new hot from the battery, but I’ve no idea how if fish it under the floorboard. 

Edited by slap
typo

The auto bilge wire was likely connected to the bilge breaker originally.  If a battery switch or dual battery has been added to the boat it is not uncommon to find the auto bilge wire and fuse connected directly to the battery or to the battery switch.

1 hour ago, csleaver said:

The auto bilge wire was likely connected to the bilge breaker originally.  If a battery switch or dual battery has been added to the boat it is not uncommon to find the auto bilge wire and fuse connected directly to the battery or to the battery switch.

Oh, interesting. I assumed they’d be on different circuits.

I just ordered a new pump, and will test the auto wire before installing to make sure it’s hot. Also ordered a cheap meter to keep on board for next time.

Fingers crossed that the float switch just wore out… I don’t feel like chasing wires.

I ended up pulling the boat out of the lake because my packing nut is letting in wayyyy too much water. I can’t let it sit like that for a week with no auto pump. I’ll tackle the packing nut in the spring.

Boats are a pain in the a**. 😂