Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery reading 17+ volts ??

Hi all,

well things haven’t been going well this year…I was out on the water this morning, through the display the battery is reading 17+ volts when at 10K RPMs, stereo is shutting down and “Service  Required” is displayed, which I can’t exit out of. At idle battery is showing 15 volts. Any ideas? 

D9B6839F-AD78-473E-89E4-F3A886BCB8CE.jpeg

689416BF-C8EC-4D11-B085-2ADBFF332666.jpeg

I wouldn't be running the engine at 10k RPMs

if the charging system is acting up, I recommend checking the output of the alternator. if it is really sending 17v, then there is a problem with the regulator and it needs to be replaced.  based on your dash, your boat is a 2005-2007 model.  15 years is a good life for an alternator.

Thanks - Just hooked it up to a fake a lake and took the reading at idle. I’m seeing about 15v on dash and the same on a volt meter.

Turned off I’m seeing 13v at the battery (all 3 of them) 

I have a 2012 vride so about 9 years old. 

would this cause the stereo to power down as well? 

cheers! 

I am going from memory but I believe mine reads 14.6 when running.  If you are seeing an actual 15v or higher when running that seems high to me and may mean the voltage regulator is going bad.

I would expect 12.6 or so on fully charged battery give or take.  17 volts you reported earlier is definitely too high and will kill your batteries.

We had our stereo shut off due to low voltage. I remember reading somewhere that the amps need to be in a certain voltage range to power-up and stay on. If outside of that they won’t. Solved the low voltage problem and our stereo is fine.

Thanks for all the replies…The stereo worked fine at low idle, its when I increased the revs and see the voltage go pass the 15-16 range, it shuts down (no sound) 

I can’t replicate this with the fake a lake as I can only run the boat at idle. 

I’m thinking it’s the alternator, but don’t know where to start. 

It has to be the alternator/regulator.  There is nothing else that is going to cause an over voltage situation.  Check to make sure that all wires are still connected to the alternator - although I'm pretty sure my 2012 has a self exciting regulator, so there is only 1 wire attached to it.

If it were me and you have already tested with a volt meter, I would just order a replacement alternator from DB Electrical and not turn that engine on again until you have replaced it.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

You can, but when a new one is under $200 it is pretty hard to make that pay.

FWIW - this should be the alternator you need ($112) - looks out of stock

https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/new-indmar-marine-alternator-8600002-20827-11si-95-amp.html

95 watt 11si size  Indmar part # = 575014

Just double check with DB Electrical if you decide to buy one.

Edited by oldjeep
43 minutes ago, Dsalyers said:

It’s 120-150$ to rebuild or 200$ for a new one, just giving him options. With everything being back ordered who knows what’s available. 

The alternator shop will also sell you the regulator, so the cheapest route is to remove the old one and take it to the shop to match up.

@Taffy, do you know if you have a stock alternator, or have you upgraded it to more output?

Thanks guys, some good information. 

@justgary - Sorry I don't know, I bought the boat two years ago, I don't believe the original owner upgraded the alternator. I will need to get the boat out of storage and take a look. I think I can manage a alternator, change however I'm still concerned about the "Service Required" and how I will reset that? 

Cheers!

42 minutes ago, saxton15 said:

What's the life span on these alternators?  

Generally a very long time.  Switching the battery off with the engine running is a good way to kill a regulator or rectifier diode, though.