Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering Wheel Controls

DHixson

I am in the process of getting a new boat.   I added the steering wheel controls which allow you to control the radio/stereo on the right side and several boat functions on the left side like the wedge, speed, and surf gate.    I thought it was like a truck where the controls turned with the wheel.   I now know the controls are stationary and the wheel turns underneath the controls.    Does anyone have it??  Do you like it??  Is is reliable??  What are the pros/cons of the controls on the steering wheel??    I know its redundant and you can use the joystick or screens to control these functions but I thought it would be helpful to have the controls on the wheel.

ahopkins22LSV

I don't have it, but have driven a few events with boats that have them and because of that I will never get them. A) I feel they are very redundant and not needed with the sport knob/touch screens right there and B) (most importantly) they are a pinch point when steering. I can't tell you how many times I pinched my fingers after a rider fell or around a dock. I would much rather put that money in my pocket or another option.

40 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Agree with @ahopkinsVTX. This is not a very popular option. Save your $

I really appreciate the information.   It’s about $1,800 I think.  It’s a lot for something thats redundant.   As @heathj7 said, he would not check that box again after having it.     Thank you all so much for the information!!!!!

Edited by DHixson
1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I don't have it, but have driven a few events with boats that have them and because of that I will never get them. A) I feel they are very redundant and not needed with the sport knob/touch screens right there and B) (most importantly) they are a pinch point when steering. I can't tell you how many times I pinched my fingers after a rider fell or around a dock. I would much rather put that money in my pocket or another option.

The one worry I have also is just what you stated…. It is a pinch point!!   With the wheel turning and the control staying in place, it offers the spokes of the steering wheel an opportunity to pinch your fingers.    A lot of times, my son and I hold the spokes on the steering wheel (no reason, just out of habit) and it will snag a finger!!!   Thank you for the information!!

• Like 1

I skipped it on our new boat. With the large touch screen(s) and the redundant manual controls on the dash I couldn’t see the value, and my dealer recommendation was a hard no. After 10 break in hrs this weekend I am completely comfortable with the decision. And by the way, the boat has speed sensitive volume…