Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help, It’s sinking!!

Prop video

We went out on the lake yesterday and I kicked on the pumps for us to surf. The voltage started to drop while the engine was on which was a new one and the girls said we were sitting extra low smiling about surfing. It clicked in my mind like yeah why are we so low. I looked in the Bilge and we were 1/4 full of water! 

I head back to the dock and pull her out of the water. When I get it out of the water there’s no damage to the structure anywhere. I get home and notice the prop’s cotter pin is missing and the prop is slipping on the shaft? I’m guessing this happened when we were visiting a friend at his dock. He told me about it being shallow right when we touched ground. 

So I’m guessing the leak is in the shaft and prop area? Anyone know what I need to do to repair?

Edited by RedTxBu
Add video

The shaft wouldn't slide out unless the coupler was detached from the transmission.  How's your shaft packing or dripless?  Do you have any ballast hoses that may be cracked?  Pump housings that are cracked?  Seems these potential issue would correlate with your issue.  But fix that cotter pin! 

• Like 2

Seems like you have a couple problems.  1) you have sheared your prop key or otherwise boogered up the prop to shaft connection.  Remove prop and see what is up.

2). You have a leak somewhere.  After you fix #1, put it in water remove center rear seat cushion and tray and see where water is coming in.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, saxton15 said:

The shaft wouldn't slide out unless the coupler was detached from the transmission.  How's your shaft packing or dripless?  Do you have any ballast hoses that may be cracked?  Pump housings that are cracked?  Seems these potential issue would correlate with your issue.  But fix that cotter pin! 

Yeah I’ve been reading the forum posts and ballast seems most probable. I’m not sure about the shaft packing. It would be good to check but I’m not sure how. 

7 hours ago, Rednucleus said:

While on the trailer, do you see water leaking out of the bilge? If not, look for a water leak from the motor/hoses...

Yeah when we got off the water the girls were talking about all of the water on the ground from the bilge 

7 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Seems like you have a couple problems.  1) you have sheared your prop key or otherwise boogered up the prop to shaft connection.  Remove prop and see what is up.

2). You have a leak somewhere.  After you fix #1, put it in water remove center rear seat cushion and tray and see where water is coming in.

This is helpful, I’ll look for posts on removing the prop. Oddly this happens right after I changed my spark plugs, plug wires, distributor, and cap.

1 hour ago, RedTxBu said:

This is helpful, I’ll look for posts on removing the prop. Oddly this happens right after I changed my spark plugs, plug wires, distributor, and cap.

Since is loose on shaft simply remove the nut and it'll slide off. No puller required. Absolutely zero chance your prop issue is related to the engine maintenance you listed. If you only touched wires zero chance it caused leaks  either. 

• Like 2