Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hydraulic steering

Maas

Just ordered a new T250 and I ordered the hydraulic steering thinking that it would be useful, now searching these forums there doesn't seem to be a lot of information on the system.

Is it worth it?  Apparently there is a fill point near the steering wheel which could cause problems or damage if improperly filled.  As well, bubbles in the line could cause problems, and if the system fails you're basically screwed.  

Now that being said, every car has had hydraulic steering for ages and now they're all electric... well most.  No real concerns there, and I would think the boat systems would be as robust.  

Does anyone have experience with hydraulic steering in Malibu/Axis and have you had any concerns?  Is it worth having in the boat?

My buddy has a 2020 LSV with it.  He continually has problems turning left.  Had it serviced and the dealer said they rarely see they hydraulic steering, but they were able to perform service.  If it was me I'd skip it. 

Had a 2020 22 LSV without, have a 2021 23 MXZ with.  Most boats are ordered in our area without according to our dealer.  Got it because my wife and daughter are on the smallish size.  That said I am 200 lb plus and have no trouble with the manual steering but I will never order a BU without it again.  It has just the right touch, not over boosted, even feel at all RPM's.  There have been comments on the board about hard to turn at low speeds, never seen that.  On our 22 LSV when the SG is out it always pushed again the wheel.  Never bothered me but I do not miss it at all especially on long days.  For far as I have read this is hydraulic power steering, automotive industry has been doing it forever.  The LT4 in a shop that does not see many might be a worry. Power steering, not so much.  As I said before will not order again without.

I have hydraulic steering on our 1995 Sea Ray, it still works pretty good, just have to add a little fluid every year.  I don’t see why it’s needed on a Malibu, steering has always been easy on all my 23 and 24ft malibus.

I have hydraulic steering on my 15' A22, which is standard with the Salt Series package so you don't have a steering cable that rusts out. I haven't had any issues with mine and it makes steering while surfing effortless.

On 9/5/2021 at 5:45 PM, Surf4FamFun said:

Had a 2020 22 LSV without, have a 2021 23 MXZ with.  Most boats are ordered in our area without according to our dealer.  Got it because my wife and daughter are on the smallish size.  That said I am 200 lb plus and have no trouble with the manual steering but I will never order a BU without it again.  It has just the right touch, not over boosted, even feel at all RPM's.  There have been comments on the board about hard to turn at low speeds, never seen that.  On our 22 LSV when the SG is out it always pushed again the wheel.  Never bothered me but I do not miss it at all especially on long days.  For far as I have read this is hydraulic power steering, automotive industry has been doing it forever.  The LT4 in a shop that does not see many might be a worry. Power steering, not so much.  As I said before will not order again without.

As far as I have seen marine hydro steering in Malibu/axis isn’t “power” at all… it just uses hydro fluid and a reservoir?  Are you saying that there is a power steering pump hanging on your engine?

On 9/5/2021 at 1:07 PM, Maas said:

Just ordered a new T250 and I ordered the hydraulic steering thinking that it would be useful, now searching these forums there doesn't seem to be a lot of information on the system.

Is it worth it?  Apparently there is a fill point near the steering wheel which could cause problems or damage if improperly filled.  As well, bubbles in the line could cause problems, and if the system fails you're basically screwed.  

Now that being said, every car has had hydraulic steering for ages and now they're all electric... well most.  No real concerns there, and I would think the boat systems would be as robust.  

Does anyone have experience with hydraulic steering in Malibu/Axis and have you had any concerns?  Is it worth having in the boat?

What's the cost on that?