Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1998 Response LX HDS Repair

Robmcloud

Thanks in advance for the much needed help.  I inherited this Boat from my step son and I Love it.  But yesterday the leak got bad enough that the bilge pump couldn't keep up. Luckily I had the pump from the fat sacs to could get back to the trailer.   What is the best fix for this.  lots of abandoned  threads that go nowhere.  Is there a louver that deflects the the water pressure around the hole in the hull where the drive shaft goes through?   thanks,  rob

Are you sure that the leak is only the HDS?  Other things can leak as well, and it is worth picking the low-hanging fruit first.

If my HDS was leaking, I would mix up a batch of cabosil paste and pipe it into the floor/HDS wall joint with basically a cake decorating bag and then smooth it to a nice fillet with a plastic putty knife.  After that cured, I would put a layer of glass over it to help make sure I got a good seal.  Everything seems fairly easy to get to with the lid off.

It for sure is leaking through the back of the box, quite possibly is coming in somewhere else.  I feel like by weighing down the back of the boat to wake surf I am creating pressure driving the water in through the box.  Thanks for the tip, ill start with what you suggest first.  

1 hour ago, Robmcloud said:

It for sure is leaking through the back of the box, quite possibly is coming in somewhere else.  I feel like by weighing down the back of the boat to wake surf I am creating pressure driving the water in through the box.  Thanks for the tip, ill start with what you suggest first.  

Surfing isn't going to drive water into the box any more than faster water sports would.

The most likely place to look is under the rub rail.  That is normally above the water line, but surfing forces water in between the hull and cap.  I'm not saying that your HDS isn't leaking, but if you can drive the boat around normally (no ballast) without the bilge filling up, it isn't the HDS.

thanks, whenever it is in the water, even sitting at dock the bilge pump comes on frequently.  I pulled it and filled the hull up to just below the hds box cover and the water leaks back in to the box and out the shaft cutout.  seems to be leaking from the back of the box.  I think the next step is to fill the hull again and tip the bow down and see if i have any leaks further forward.

It sounds like you are on the right track.  I just didn't want to hear about you spending a bunch of time on the HDS only to find that something else was leaking.  Definitely try an HDS seal job if you are up to it.

Thank you!  filled it up again and put the nose down,   it does not seem to be leaking anywhere else!  I'll get in there with a die grinder and clean it out then  cabosil  I think and a layer or two of fiberglass.  That seems to be the best procedure from what I've read.  It's nice to have people to share ideas with!  thanks again!

You probably stumbled on the thread that included the HDS replacement project, the website was everglass,com although it appears to be gone now.  The project simply cut out the entire box and a replacement fiberglass hump was constructed to basically delete the HDS box.  Probably hard to uncover and details although maybe someone on this site within those threads did a similar repair.  Google HDS, dreaded HDS and similar words to find various threads.