Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking for info/thoughts on Response LXI

barefootrocker

The higher gunnels sold me on the RLXi, especially with young kids at the time. Footing was sweet behind my LXi, wake crossings effortless.

@footndale
    Dwight, thanks for the heads up and the offer. It'd be great for the fiancee and I to see both of those in person and even better if we could ski them. We'll hit you up next year, it'd be great to get together. Yeah the Sanger V215s are pretty cool, that'd be on my list if we were in the market for a V drive.

@solorex
    As far as the slalom wake goes, what speed are you running? Like I said, the main problem is at 27mph for my fiancee, the wake is big and firm everywhere. At 32mph (and up) for me it's not bad, and I wouldn't see the need for a change. I do have a good friend who's a competition level skier. He skis primarily behind a Ski Nautique and a Centurion, and he is very much not a fan of my Tantrum. So to each their own I guess, but speed dependent.

@Woodski
    Thanks for the tip on the hulls. Yes that's what I've heard as well regarding the years. So as far as an RLXI goes, the 2003-2006 is probably what I'd be looking for.

@asnowman
    That does help, thank you. Looks like the RLXI gunwale height is about 5" taller than the Tantrum overall. That'd be a nice improvement.

Well currently I have a few contenders:

Response LXI, 2003-2006 with Monsoon
Sunsetter LXI, preferably 2003-2004 with Monsoon (Not looking at the SSLX because I'd like to upgrade to a bit newer than those)
MC Prostar 205 with LTR
MC Prostar 195 with LTR

Fun to dream and shop!

55 minutes ago, barefootrocker said:

@solorex
    As far as the slalom wake goes, what speed are you running? Like I said, the main problem is at 27mph for my fiancee, the wake is big and firm everywhere. At 32mph (and up) for me it's not bad, and I wouldn't see the need for a change. I do have a good friend who's a competition level skier. He skis primarily behind a Ski Nautique and a Centurion, and he is very much not a fan of my Tantrum. So to each their own I guess, but speed dependent.

Yeah I'm talking 32 and up, I ski 33-34.  But I guess it's just personal preference.  I skied behind my buddies Prostar this weekend (he just put a 4 blade CNC on it).  It's just different... no better no worse.  I still like the Tantrum wake.

@barefootrocker here ya go. Not as flashy as your current ride, but nice none the less.

https://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Boat_3Event&postid=61343

And when you come to get this one, you can drop the tantrum at my house along the way.....

• Like 2

I was in a similar position as you with the single exception that I do not barefoot....I had a 1995 Tige which had a phenomenally small ski wake.  I bought a 06 RLXI and never once regret not making that upgrade.

To answer your questions

1) Freeboard height. Or rather floor to gunnel height. Measuring in my Tantrum I get 19" at the driver's seat and 16-1/2" near the rear seat. If anyone could give me this height measurement for an RLXI I'd appreciate it. I can get this later, its a bit deeper I'm sure than your tantrum.  From the back seat you can still touch the water when sitting, but its taller for added safety.

2) I believe I've read that these at some point went from the SV23 Diamond hull, to the cut diamond hull. When did this happen, and what are the pros and cons of the change? Top speed? Slalom wake? Hole shot? Chine spray for boom footing? Not sure on hull change or pros/cons.  I know in 07 they changed it and hurt the slower speed ski wakes.  Top speed on mine is 48 mph (you can reprop to get more).  Hole shot is plenty strong (not sure comparing to your Tantrum, but to mastercrafts and SN the RLXI has a much firmer holeshot).  The aluminum headers also add 5 HP or so.  Not sure on chime spray, but I believe the same hull is used on the "RLXI" and "RLX" Barefooter Edition.  The only difference is the Scarpa plate.  My neighbor has a 05 RLX Barefooter Edition with the 383 Hammerhead and primarily does boom and boom with short rope barefooting.  With the Scarpa plate the slalom wake isn't as good.  I think footing boats like to have a firmer flatter wake table and that is what the scarpa plate does.  In creating that firmer table, also makes the wake more like a curb. I think his top speed is 52 mph.

3) FYI, our slalom speeds (just free skiing right now, maybe course in the future) currently are 32 for me on a Radar Senate Graphite and 27 for her on an HO Freeride. All wakes at 27 mph are going to be larger than the 90s era ski boats,  less weight, less gas, remove the rear seat will help.  The RLXI wake looks a little larger, but is much softer.  32 mph and faster are just fine (keep tank at 1/2 or less).  My wife skis the course at 28 mph and the wake is manageable.  Open water skiing she skis at 30.  You also must realize you will get better and ski faster :)

4) When did the change come going to throttle by wire, TBW. What are the pros and cons of TBW? My 06 is a TBW and I LOVE it.  I've driven 03s, 05s that are by cable, and I love the smoothness and consistency of the TBW.  Also adding Perfect pass is easier.

5) Speed control. Was Perfect Pass standard on these? Speed control would be a big plus but not an absolute deal breaker. IF a boat doesn't have PP, is it available to install and how difficult is it? Or is there some major benefit to going with Zero Off, as I see a fair amount of discussion on getting a TBW boat to equip ZO.  My 06 came stock with Malibu speed control (which is really only good for wakebaording....if that).  Only upgrade option is Perfect Pass w/ Stargazer (add Z Box and it will be close to Zero Off).  PP install is fairly easy (even easier with TBW setup).  Zero Off is not an option unless you put a new motor.  I believe 08 is the first stock motor that can be retrofitted with ZO.  If you are not a hard core course skier, I would not worry about ZO.  Adding Z Box does a decent job simulating a ZO pull.

6) What years had digital displays vs standard gauges? One of the beautiful things about my Tantrum is the simplicity. I am not looking forward to a boat with digital displays or especially touchscreens to fail.  my 06 has a similar dash as this, expect the right dial now has PP.

spacer.png

I have driven and skied behind a MC 190, 195, 197, 209, X7, & SN 196 and  SN206.  I think the 197 is one of the sexiest looking ski boats on the water....but with that said there is not a day that goes by that I realize how much I love the RLXI.  The amount of space the RLXI has is great, and perfect for 3-5 people (7-8 is crowded).  I do like the flip down seat the 197 has in the front.  The ski wake is second best to the SN 196 (a properly weighted 197 could be a rival at faster speeds, but definitely not 30 mph and slower speeds).  Holeshot is best of the bunch.  Having the Wedge with weight, and a surf suction gate the wake is barely surfable for afternoon fun.  Having two boats is double the work and double the cost.... the RLXI is a perfect ski specific boat that can do other things decently.  In a perfect world and if $$ wasn't a concern I'd have a 196 SN and a wake/wakesurf dedicated boat. 

Edited by Joeprunc
  • 2 weeks later...

My comments are limited to my fav. sport. Slalom wakes for long lines 28 off to full the 2003 to 06 LXI and the 2012 and up are the very best in the industry. Short lines 32 and down most LXI and TXI's fantastic. The 2007 to 2011 RLXI have hard mountain wakes at 28 to full lengths at most speeds. If not a issue the 2007 and up Responses have more free board and bow higher than the older version. My new to me 12 TXI is just awesome for everything including wake boarding.

• 4 weeks later...

@asnowman yeah I have no problem with the SSLXI. That clean white look looks great to me. If we pull the trigger I'll bring the Tantrum along ;-) About the only drawback I can see with the SSLXI is I would love to get the ski locker with the split doors like the RLXI (and some of the Mastercraft options I'm looking at), but if the right boat came along I could look past that. Can anyone speak to the ski locker with the single rear-opening door vs the split doors? It seems to me to have it open to the platform is a poor design. Anyone feel free to weigh in.

@Joeprunc thank you for the info and the pics. So it sounds like '06 they made some electronic upgrades before the hull change in '07. Yes, Zero-Off is not necessary. I'd be very happy just to go to Perfect Pass from full manual control.

Can anyone here tell me about the dreaded HDS box? What hulls/years/models did this come on? Again, I'm looking at '99-'04 Sunsetter LXIs and '03-'06 Response LXIs. Thanks!

11 minutes ago, barefootrocker said:

@asnowman yeah I have no problem with the SSLXI. That clean white look looks great to me. If we pull the trigger I'll bring the Tantrum along ;-) About the only drawback I can see with the SSLXI is I would love to get the ski locker with the split doors like the RLXI (and some of the Mastercraft options I'm looking at), but if the right boat came along I could look past that. Can anyone speak to the ski locker with the single rear-opening door vs the split doors? It seems to me to have it open to the platform is a poor design. Anyone feel free to weigh in.

@Joeprunc thank you for the info and the pics. So it sounds like '06 they made some electronic upgrades before the hull change in '07. Yes, Zero-Off is not necessary. I'd be very happy just to go to Perfect Pass from full manual control.

Can anyone here tell me about the dreaded HDS box? What hulls/years/models did this come on? Again, I'm looking at '99-'04 Sunsetter LXIs and '03-'06 Response LXIs. Thanks!

I think the locker opening toward the platform is a great design.  It allows you to access your gear where you put it on,,,,,,on the platform.  

I don't see the HDS box as being "dreaded" at all.  It's only a problem if it becomes a problem.  Search here and you'll find lots of older posts about it.  I've got a 2006 RLXi with the HDS box and have not had issues.  Same with my previous SSLX, no issues.  It's an interesting design and does what it's intended to do.  Generally failures that occur are due to impact or poorly cared for boats.  I wouldn't see it as a deterrent in any way unless you confirm it has a problem prior to purchase.  It's pretty easy to find problems.  SImply fill the bilge with water above the box with the boat on the trailer.  If you see water leaking from around the shaft where it penetrates the hull, it's likely compromised.  Again, do some searching here.  There's a good deal of valuable information to be found. 

I searched relatively thoroughly and skimmed half a dozen threads, and all I could find was rebuild/repair/removal threads. What I was hoping for was a list of yes it came on this hull from this year to this year, such that if a certain year DID NOT come with the HDS, then it would be a +1 point on my boat shopping list. Not a deal breaker, obviously especially if it came on ALL of the boats that I'm looking at. Just curious to know if anyone had specifics.

I'm pretty sure it came on all the boats you're looking at.  I don't know when it was no longer in use, but in the vintage you're looking it, it was on all of them.  Again, not a deal breaker at all.  You just have to understand the potential challenges with it. 

Hey all, current 2004 Response LXI owner. Absolutely flawless boat. Aside from the fact that there is little seating due to the Direct drive, there is nothing we dont love about this machine. My father (58) has been slalom and barefoot for 40+ years and this is the best boat hes ever skied he says. We have had multiple pros use our wake for slalom and footing. We are the chosen boat for "barefoot Saturday at 5:30 at the ramp" The pros have skied everything in the book and this is the choice boat. Almost no wake at 33 speed. Perfect pass dialed in works like a champ at holding speed. Only issue we have ever had was the boat heater which was a cheap quick fix. Monsoon 350 has a lot of giddy up and sounds like Beast. Top speed with 1 driver is 47. No need for faster. I wakeboard and have no problem with this boat. We use 22 mph and Fatsac in back (about 550) and front (about 150-180) with wedge down and we have no porpoise or issues. Takes a little bit to plane out at 22 but she gets the job done. We have mastered driving at idle or slow with waves around and have the occasional roller over the front of the bow but just go parallel with waves and should be ok. Overall, amazing boat, good wake for flips on wakeboard, almost no wake for slalom at 33, and barefoot performance is amazing at 35-38 for my father at 58 years old still kicking.

Mason

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...

Hey all- Well we found one! Pulled the trigger on a 2003 Response LXI. Drove from Central Wisconsin to northern Illinois this past Saturday, the ride down gave us 3-1/2 hours in blizzard conditions and dense fog, saw one car a hundred feet in front of us crash into a truck and trailer and wreck, test drove the boat in 35 degree weather and heavy snowfall, and had to fix a few things on the trailer in the O'reilly parking lot before we left town while getting dumped on with snow. After a nice meal and a warm up, the weather cleared up and we brought it home. We're excited for some great slaloming, barefooting, and to have actual storage!

I'd love to attach a couple of pictures but I can't see how to do so.

I have two questions. The first is where can I find a shift knob for this? Appears to be 2" diameter and 3/8"-24 thread. Most of the off-the-shelf knobs locally are metric, and I'd like to find something in a different color (say black and silver, or carbon fiber look) instead of the plain black one on Bakes.

Second question is where can I find the small Malibu badges from the interior. There are two of them, one in front of the steering wheel on the dashboard, and one in front of the glove box. They're about 3" long, screw on, plastic, and silver/gold and black. Again I have a picture, but don't know how to attach it. I figured I'd start by asking here, and then I'll create an original post about these items.

Thanks!

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, barefootrocker said:

Hey all- Well we found one! Pulled the trigger on a 2003 Response LXI. Drove from Central Wisconsin to northern Illinois this past Saturday, the ride down gave us 3-1/2 hours in blizzard conditions and dense fog, saw one car a hundred feet in front of us crash into a truck and trailer and wreck, test drove the boat in 35 degree weather and heavy snowfall, and had to fix a few things on the trailer in the O'reilly parking lot before we left town while getting dumped on with snow. After a nice meal and a warm up, the weather cleared up and we brought it home. We're excited for some great slaloming, barefooting, and to have actual storage!

I have two questions. The first is where can I find a shift knob for this? Appears to be 2" diameter and 3/8"-24 thread. Most of the off-the-shelf knobs locally are metric, and I'd like to find something in a different color (say black and silver, or carbon fiber look) instead of the plain black one on Bakes.

Second question is where can I find the small Malibu badges from the interior. There are two of them, one in front of the steering wheel on the dashboard, and one in front of the glove box. They're about 3" long, screw on, plastic, and silver/gold and black. Again I have a picture, but don't know how to attach it. I figured I'd start by asking here, and then I'll create an original post about these items.

Thanks!

The best part of these road trips to buy boats are the adventures you have while getting the deal done.  :-)   Glad you got her home safe and sound.

A few sites that might help with parts are:

malibuparts.com

skidim.com

bakesonline.com

greatlakesskipper.com

Good luck and congrats on the purchase!

-- Mike

40 minutes ago, barefootrocker said:

Thanks!

That should have a Morse MV3 throttle like my boat has. I found a carbon fiber knob on ebay that came with different threaded sleeves. One of the sleeves fit the thread pitch on the MV3. 

• Like 1

@EchelonMikeI was looking for something more flashy, and the standard Malibu parts sites didn't have it.

@UWSkierthat was the route I went first but the multitude of options on eBay and Amazon are almost 100% metric, or just have a plastic sleeve that pushes onto the threads and I don't care for that. I ended up going to KnobWorx. They're a small company making custom knobs specifically for boats like these, with the 3/8-24 thread as standard.

For the Malibu Emblems it seems the original ones aren't available anymore. I found some chrome ones on Great Lakes Skipper, and they should match some of the other emblems inside the boat so that works fine.

Lastly, if anyone can tell me how to post pictures here I'd still love to know. Thanks.

4 minutes ago, barefootrocker said:

Lastly, if anyone can tell me how to post pictures here I'd still love to know. Thanks.

Congratulations on the boat!  To post pics, the easiest way is to become a supporting member.  This site has saved me TONS of time in research and preventing mistakes, so it's a no brainer investment to me.  Otherwise, find a host site (Photobucket was the popular one back in the day), post your pics there and provide the link here.