Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking for info/thoughts on Response LXI

barefootrocker

Hey all-

I know this has been covered in various posts but I'm hoping to gather this info all in one place. I'm not currently in the market but trying to get my research started for my next boat. I currently have a 1995 Tantrum. On my short list of possibilities for the next boat is a Response LXI, years abotu 2003 - 2008ish, based on budget, and likely with the Monsoon 340. Goals moving forward are 1) Barefoot friendly, hopefully pull me, 250 lbs, at 42+, 2) Slalom friendly, my fiancee and I both like to slalom, and 3) Family friendly, or at least more family friendly than the little Tantrum. So I have a handful of questions:

1) Freeboard height. Or rather floor to gunnel height. Measuring in my Tantrum I get 19" at the driver's seat and 16-1/2" near the rear seat. If anyone could give me this height measurement for an RLXI I'd appreciate it.

2) I believe I've read that these at some point went from the SV23 Diamond hull, to the cut diamond hull. When did this happen, and what are the pros and cons of the change? Top speed? Slalom wake? Hole shot? Chine spray for boom footing?

3) FYI, our slalom speeds (just free skiing right now, maybe course in the future) currently are 32 for me on a Radar Senate Graphite and 27 for her on an HO Freeride.

4) When did the change come going to throttle by wire, TBW. What are the pros and cons of TBW?

5) Speed control. Was Perfect Pass standard on these? Speed control would be a big plus but not an absolute deal breaker. IF a boat doesn't have PP, is it available to install and how difficult is it? Or is there some major benefit to going with Zero Off, as I see a fair amount of discussion on getting a TBW boat to equip ZO.

6) What years had digital displays vs standard gauges? One of the beautiful things about my Tantrum is the simplicity. I am not looking forward to a boat with digital displays or especially touchscreens to fail. 

Just kind of daydreaming, doing some shopping and homework for my next boat. Anyone that wants to help me out, I appreciate it.

One thing to consider, since this will be a family boat is the size of lake you will be on.   Bow dips can be an issue, and if you are looking for more family friendly on a larger lake, consider a slightly older Sunsetter LXI.  Very good slalom wakes and a bit more freeboard.  Hard to track one down, but there is one on ski it again currently.  Of course, you have now eliminated zero off....but we use perfect pass on our 2001, and it's more than adequate in the course after some tweaking of the settings.

I have a 2004.  It will be an improvement in every area over your tantrum.  I hear people complain about the freeboard in this boat all the time but it’s really pretty good for a ski boat.  I have the same ski as you too and the wake is the one of the best wakes I have skied behind.  I’m a lousy skier and tend to flatten my ski out when I hit the wakes which is one of the worst things you can do as a skier.   But the wake still makes it very easy to cross.  I absolutely love mine and I had been a Nautique guy for a long time before getting this one.

Edited by MTBoy
  • Like 1

Keep your Tantrum :)

BUT... if I was ever to upgrade mine I think it would be a 99-03 Sunsetter as mentioned above.  Just harder to find.  I have three little kids and still find the Tantrum to be perfectly fine... but I have a property on the lake and boat lift, so we don't spend days out on the water, just use the boat and come back.

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, barefootrocker said:

Hey all-

I know this has been covered in various posts but I'm hoping to gather this info all in one place. I'm not currently in the market but trying to get my research started for my next boat. I currently have a 1995 Tantrum. On my short list of possibilities for the next boat is a Response LXI, years abotu 2003 - 2008ish, based on budget, and likely with the Monsoon 340. Goals moving forward are 1) Barefoot friendly, hopefully pull me, 250 lbs, at 42+, 2) Slalom friendly, my fiancee and I both like to slalom, and 3) Family friendly, or at least more family friendly than the little Tantrum. So I have a handful of questions:

1) Freeboard height. Or rather floor to gunnel height. Measuring in my Tantrum I get 19" at the driver's seat and 16-1/2" near the rear seat. If anyone could give me this height measurement for an RLXI I'd appreciate it.

2) I believe I've read that these at some point went from the SV23 Diamond hull, to the cut diamond hull. When did this happen, and what are the pros and cons of the change? Top speed? Slalom wake? Hole shot? Chine spray for boom footing?

3) FYI, our slalom speeds (just free skiing right now, maybe course in the future) currently are 32 for me on a Radar Senate Graphite and 27 for her on an HO Freeride.

4) When did the change come going to throttle by wire, TBW. What are the pros and cons of TBW?

5) Speed control. Was Perfect Pass standard on these? Speed control would be a big plus but not an absolute deal breaker. IF a boat doesn't have PP, is it available to install and how difficult is it? Or is there some major benefit to going with Zero Off, as I see a fair amount of discussion on getting a TBW boat to equip ZO.

6) What years had digital displays vs standard gauges? One of the beautiful things about my Tantrum is the simplicity. I am not looking forward to a boat with digital displays or especially touchscreens to fail. 

Just kind of daydreaming, doing some shopping and homework for my next boat. Anyone that wants to help me out, I appreciate it.

1. I don't have the measurements on hand for what you're looking for in terms of floor to gunwale.
  2. 2003-2006, first gen RLXI are all SV23 Diamond Hulls
  3. No issue on the speeds you mention.
  4. 2006 I believe is the first year for TBW,  However, there is still a linkage for shifting from neutral.  
  5. Perfect pass was not standard in the years you mentioned.  It was an option.  My 2006 RLXi doesn't have PP, but it does have "Malibu Cruise" .  That's a decent system, but lacks the function of PP.
  6. All gauges, no touch screens.  There is however a digital display that has buttons on it for setting the clocks, speed control, and it houses all the depth alarms, engine diagnostics, etc.  They are prone to delamination over time and exposure to the sun, etc.

If you're looking for a more family friendly rig, I agree with the other comments on the SSLXi if you can find one.  They're longer, but on the same hull and perform exceptionally well for the size of boat that it is.  It also has more freeboard and a larger open bow than the RLXi.  IME, when you have a family in the RLXi it gets crowded very quickly.  The SSLXi does as well, but it's much more comfortable than the RLXi if you're going to use it as a family boat.  Ours is a dedicated slalom tug for the most part as well as some show ski practice for the better half.  Can't go wrong with either, but IIWM, I'd go SSLXi.  Honestly, if there were a good SSLXi around when I purchased my RLXi, I would have purchased it.

Best of luck.

Hey all- Thanks for the replies. 

As far as dipping the nose it's not a huge concern. Our home lake is pretty big, high traffic, and plenty of surf boats as well as large pleasure boats, but I've learned to drive the Tantrum properly to avoid dipping the nose. I'm basically assuming any other boat is going to be an improvement in that area, so not too worried.

As far as family friendly, right now it's just my fiancee and I, or a couple of friends. Future plan may be a smaller dog and one kid. It'd be rare that we'd have a boat full. Maybe rare occasion of 6 of us or so. I have read the great reviews of the SSLXI (up to 2004), but yes they are harder to find. Also cosmetically I like the look of the RLXI better, looks more modern, and I like that the ski locker cover is split. The extra height and room of the SSLXI I don't think is as big of a factor to me, but it's definitely also on my radar. I'd love to know the gunwale measurement for an RLXI or SSLXI though if anyone has one handy. Would give me a sense of direction as far as the level of improvement. The fiancee has fallen in love with the layout of friends' V drives (there's a Mastercraft X1 and X2 and a Sanger V210 in our group), but for the sake of slalom performance I'm trying to show her that there's enough of a storage, room, and freeboard improvement going from the tiny Tantrum to nearly any of the open bow direct drives.

One area that CANNOT be improved on over the Tantrum is straight line performance. The 383 I have in the Tantrum will take it to 56 mph and 6,000 rpm so I have nowhere to go but down from there LOL

Other candidates are a Mastercraft Prostar 197/X7 or Prostar 209/X9. If anyone has any thoughts on those feel free to weigh in.

Thanks guys!

• Like 1

Don’t get the x9 or 209.  If you do you would be just as happy in a crossover v-drive.  I have a buddy with the x9 and he had to admit my Nautique SV211 ski wake was better.  

@MTBoy that's what I've heard about the 209/X9. I love the look of them and would like the room but I've not heard good things about the slalom wake, especially at slower speeds (fiancee speed).

7 hours ago, Slayer said:

6. All gauges, no touch screens.  There is however a digital display that has buttons on it for setting the clocks, speed control, and it houses all the depth alarms, engine diagnostics, etc.  They are prone to delamination over time and exposure to the sun, etc.

Not all the your age range RLXi's have the chrome digital display with buttons. Only the 05 upwards I think.  My 03 has a small LCD within the gauge but no buttons. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AD46w3IEaHVen30hNHDsYIKsoDnuzELB/view?usp=sharing  

So i have an 05 LXi, and ski behind a 95 and 96 Tantrum. We are looking for a Sportster thanks to the tantrums, don't get me wrong the LXi has nice soft wakes, and way more interior space than the Tantrum.

The Tantrum wakes really are exceptional and couldn't imagine how much fun that boat would be with a 383 in it. Let me know if yours becomes for sale. 

My advice, having more than one boat myself, would be keep the tantrum, and look for a different boat to do other stuff with, and that greatly opens your options for a boat for other activities. @Slayer also has gone the multi boat route.... nothing like the morning ski set, switch boats and surf away the day. 

Our 05 LXi has perfect pass, the monsoon 340 and does dip the nose easily. We put it out on the mooring, covered, for the afternoons due to other boat wake issues.

All that said, if we had to have just 1 boat, the RLXi is not going anywhere, we could do without the LSV, if we had to.

• Like 3

@uk_exile thanks for the tip on the displays. Yeah to me, the simpler the better.

@asnowman Yes my Tantrum is an absolute riot to drive. The only problem is it’s sort of ruined boats for me because you can’t just pick up a direct drive that does mid 50s haha. While multiple boats would be great, that’s not in the budget for us, and not all that practical as we trailer everywhere. I’m also surprised at your comments about the wake, as I’ve found the opposite. Now for me, on the Tantrum, I slalom at 32, and while there’s a fair bump, I can manage. But when my fiancée skis at 27, it’s pretty bad. Not a large wake but very hard and steep. I have thought about installing a plate to see if I could improve the wake, but haven’t heard confirmation if that would help. All that being said, the primary reason for the boat change is room, open bow, and storage improvements.

@94MalibuEchelon yes I agree. While the Tantrum (or Moomba Boomerang etc) weren’t all that successful in their time, maybe now they would be, considering the lack of direct drives and skyrocketing prices.

Anyone have a gunwale measurement from an RLXI? Also any comments or info regarding the Diamond vs Cut Diamond Hull? Or throttle by wire years and pros/cons?

Thanks all.

17 minutes ago, barefootrocker said:

Anyone have a gunwale measurement from an RLXI? Also any comments or info regarding the Diamond vs Cut Diamond Hull? Or throttle by wire years and pros/cons?

Thanks all.

Throttle by wire started in 06 if i recall correctly, not all builds were drive by wire that year.

I will get you measures on the LXi when i get to the lake, probably tomorrow morning though.

21 hours ago, Slayer said:

If you're looking for a more family friendly rig, I agree with the other comments on the SSLXi if you can find one.  They're longer, but on the same hull and perform exceptionally well for the size of boat that it is.  It also has more freeboard and a larger open bow than the RLXi.  IME, when you have a family in the RLXi it gets crowded very quickly.  The SSLXi does as well, but it's much more comfortable than the RLXi if you're going to use it as a family boat.  Ours is a dedicated slalom tug for the most part as well as some show ski practice for the better half.  Can't go wrong with either, but IIWM, I'd go SSLXi.  Honestly, if there were a good SSLXi around when I purchased my RLXi, I would have purchased it.

@barefootrocker This is a pretty big deal.  Obviously there is a time and place for kids to be in the bow, but man kids do love the bow, or the dog, or the Mrs and her girl friend during a slow cruise.  The Echelon open bow is almost impossible for an adult to fit in.

@Slayerhow much larger is the open bow?  And is it just deeper (gunwhale), or longer too?

39 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

@barefootrocker This is a pretty big deal.  Obviously there is a time and place for kids to be in the bow, but man kids do love the bow, or the dog, or the Mrs and her girl friend during a slow cruise.  The Echelon open bow is almost impossible for an adult to fit in.

@Slayerhow much larger is the open bow?  And is it just deeper (gunwhale), or longer too?

It's both longer and deeper.  The SSLX bow and SSLXi bow are effectively the same size, both of which are larger than the RLXi.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Slayer said:

It's both longer and deeper.  The SSLX bow and SSLXi bow are effectively the same size, both of which are larger than the RLXi.

We somewhat regularly put two adults in the open bow on our family's 01 Sunsetter. 

31 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

We somewhat regularly put two adults in the open bow on our family's 01 Sunsetter. 

When I had my SSLX, we would regularly have 2 up there.  In my RLXi, the only time anyone is in the bow is when the kids are on the boat skiing, which is rare.  They would all rather surf or wakeboard.  Our smallest kids still wakeboard from time to time behind the RLXi, but the older ones prefer the LSV.  

@barefootrocker I ski/foot behind an 00 Sunsetter LXI all the time, with a barefoot plate. If you want to check out the SSLXI or an 04 RespLXI, they are in our barefoot group here in Fremont. Also a few Sanger Barefooters too. Next year, make sure to come on down sometime to test and have fun.

Personally I'm looking at Sanger V215 or V205 when the used prices get into normal ranges.

Dwight

2 hours ago, barefootrocker said:

@asnowman Yes my Tantrum is an absolute riot to drive. The only problem is it’s sort of ruined boats for me because you can’t just pick up a direct drive that does mid 50s haha. While multiple boats would be great, that’s not in the budget for us, and not all that practical as we trailer everywhere. I’m also surprised at your comments about the wake, as I’ve found the opposite. Now for me, on the Tantrum, I slalom at 32, and while there’s a fair bump, I can manage. But when my fiancée skis at 27, it’s pretty bad. Not a large wake but very hard and steep. I have thought about installing a plate to see if I could improve the wake, but haven’t heard confirmation if that would help. All that being said, the primary reason for the boat change is room, open bow, and storage improvements.

@94MalibuEchelon yes I agree. While the Tantrum (or Moomba Boomerang etc) weren’t all that successful in their time, maybe now they would be, considering the lack of direct drives and skyrocketing prices.

383 sounds fun... even the stock 350 is fun as hell in a Tantrum.  But you gotta be splitting hairs about the wake... the Tantrum wake is TINY.  And yes I often ski behind an '91 Mastercraft Prostar 190 which everyone says is "the best wake", it is softer than the Tantrum but it's also way wider and then don't get me started about the stupid rooster tail... I honestly prefer then Tantrum, you get over the wake and it's over and done with in a fraction of a second... but I digress.  I get the space thing, but I'd still try to keep it.

There's a good thread here somewhere with photos showing diamond vs cut diamond. Can't 100% recall but think it's basically chine slightly larger on cut diamond and the cut diamond is considered the slalom hull. The diamond sinks better when add weight.

Edited by uk_exile

@barefootrocker - With Barefooting a priority, your LXI search should focus on Gen 1 (2003-2006) variants.  The barefoot schools abandoned their Gen 2 (2007+) ones and went back to Gen 1's or LX's.  Scarpa's school in particular is one of note that did it.  The LXI table is a bit softer than an LX with softer edges therefore kind of sets a decision on which activity is top priority.  Both are great options, the LX top deck is level to the tip of the nose, the LXI has a bit of a dip so will dip the nose easier.  LXI is wider so a little more roomy than an LX and it is a walk through OB, RLX is a play pen or walk over.

As for MC197 comparison, just my opinion, not so much.  For me, the wake is much harder, with the 28 off bump being hard improves at 32, wake flattens through shortline but not as soft as the LXI.  Malibu barefoot wakes are much better.  MC197 does have a great trick wake.  The X7 and 209 will be a taller wake version of the 197.  For great MC wakes, it is either an old 190 (91-94 the best) or the 2014+ Prostar.

On 9/2/2021 at 11:07 AM, barefootrocker said:

Hey all-

6) What years had digital displays vs standard gauges? 

2005 RLXi floor to gunnel at rear corner (seat not in boat) 21"   at driver seat is a little different, its 24" where the dash trim starts, and 25 1/2" right where the throttle is. 16308648577114108491019209938366.thumb.jpg.364263abdd8217baa9137864ebfcd6ec.jpg

As for gauges, on an 05 there is an lcd display for things like hours, but mostly analog, except for the perfect pass.

16308649866664595772143781478906.thumb.jpg.2232b88a156823eeb4b08877a40d1db1.jpg

Hope hat helps.