Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What are your go-to cleaning/UV protectant products?

Exterior: 

Babe’s boat bright

Babes hard water spot remover (if necessary) 

Interior 

303 Protectant

Is there a product that anyone uses to protect the sea deck soft grip mats? I noticed that it does fade a bit over time

1 hour ago, Cipro said:

Any suggestions to get sunscreen residue off the new cool touch dark interior vinyl? 

Driving me nuts this go round...

Yes!  MEAN GREEN (not to be confused with Simple Green) and a plastic scrubber brush. I've been using this on my boat for 10 years and its the ONLY product that will dig that stuff out of the vinyl fully and take my white vinyl to factory new. 

People are skeptical until they try it and are blown away every time. 

MEAN GREEN is a 'surfactant' cleaner, which means it lowers the surface tension and allows it to wick itself into those micro crevices in vinyl and pull the dirt/sunscreen out. Emulsifies it so that after a quick scrub, you can just wipe off the muck it pulled out with a damp rag after. 

Spray it liberally, let is sit for about 10 seconds, then gently scrub with a plastic scrub brush, then wipe with damp rag.  You won't believe the dirt it pulls out that nothing else will touch.

Like I said, I've been using it for 10 years and my vinyl looks showroom clean and supple as ever.   It's cheap ($5 a bottle) and you can get it at Walmart. 

spacer.png

Edited by Shawnski
1 hour ago, Cipro said:

Any suggestions to get sunscreen residue off the new cool touch dark interior vinyl? 

Driving me nuts this go round...

I was just reading the instruction manual on our boat (weird, I know), and it said that you should only use water and mild dish detergent to clean the cool touch vinyl. The cool touch appears to be a different animal, but I’m sure other products work on it just fine. 

I went full Babe’s on our regular vinyl this weekend. Seat Saver all over and then used the Seat Soap in some problem areas didn’t clean with the Saver and it worked really well. 

On 9/7/2021 at 3:33 PM, BarliBear said:

I was just reading the instruction manual on our boat (weird, I know), and it said that you should only use water and mild dish detergent to clean the cool touch vinyl. The cool touch appears to be a different animal, but I’m sure other products work on it just fine. 

I went full Babe’s on our regular vinyl this weekend. Seat Saver all over and then used the Seat Soap in some problem areas didn’t clean with the Saver and it worked really well. 

Yeah, been using dawn and water mix...cant get the residue off...

steam scrub and 303 protectant.  Steamer is a game changer for me.  Just don't steam in one place too long, that would obviously be bad, but it does melt all the crap away and you just wipe it off making upholstery look factory new

This is not a U/V protective product, but I use goo gone or Mr. Clean magic erasers to remove anything that seems impossible to get off.  However, after using I clean off residue thoroughly with soap and water and reapply wax/protectant.

1 minute ago, 4mc said:

This is not a U/V protective product, but I use goo gone or Mr. Clean magic erasers to remove anything that seems impossible to get off.  However, after using I clean off residue thoroughly with soap and water and reapply wax/protectant.

No offense but magic eraser, even though it "cleans" things up well, is terrible for the vinyl.  It's like wet sanding the vinyl.  I would highly recommend NOT doing that on the boat you just ordered. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1