Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 VLX mux switch issue/ replacement question

This is my first season with my VLX and still trying to figure it out. My right MUX switch has become non responsive. Occasionally it will register when I hold the buttons down for edit mode, but then goes blank when it enter edit. The screen looks fine, just buttons do not respond.

Is the unit shot? Any advice where to get one? I checked Bakes and it was 3-4 weeks Custome order and $600.

To that end, I found a MUX switch for the rear of a 2011 VLX that looks identical. Are they the same or are there differences functionally?

thanks

I wonder if those mux switches were ever upgraded. In '08 malibu sent a tech to my boat in havasu who replaced the mux switches. I think it was know as a make it right campaign.

If they were never replaced, they might owe you??

Check the connector on the back of the MUX module.  Make sure the pins and wires are not worn, bent, or loose and that they are making a good connection.

Different part numbers are used for modules on different year boats and for the right, left, or rear module.  You would need to check with your dealer to find out what module is available or correct if you need a replacement.

There were service bulletins requiring replacement of some MUX modules on 2008 Malibu boats, but it is very likely that it had already been done back then by the first owner.  Even if the service bulletin did apply to the MUX modules in your boat, and it wasn't done, the warranty coverage ran out over a decade ago and would no longer apply.

20 minutes ago, saxton15 said:

I believe the rear MUX is different than the cockpit one.  I had looked into this briefly years ago to replace my defective rear unit.  

They were different on my 2010.