Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1999 sportster - distributor and plug

aaronbrooks

Hey guys, I've got a higher hour sportster I bought last year. Planning to have the carb rebuilt and do a few other things including the distributor cap and wires. Does anyone know if there is an msd distributor for this application or can you recommend another option? Also what aftermarket plug wires are there available?

I'm not sure what engine you have, but it is likely an Indmar 5.7 and probably already has a Delco electronic distributer.  There is nothing wrong with using a MSD distributer and aftermarket wires, but if there is nothing wrong with your distributer then it may not need to be replaced.  It is unlikely you would be able to notice any performance benefits by replacing it If It is already working properly.

You can get OEM style replacement ignition wires, spark plugs, cap and rotor, or even automotive replacements for those common tune up parts.

https://www.bakesonline.com/delco-ignition-system-tune-up-kit.html

1 hour ago, csleaver said:

What issues are you having?

1) Slightly rougher idle than I know it should have

2) after going over like 3000 rpm it has a high idle (950-1100 rpm) that only goes away by turning the engine off and back on

3) boat is topping out around 43 and I know it should be somewhere 45-50mph

I think I mentioned this in a different post, but something I learned years ago in Volvo Penta training has always helped me when diagnosing running issues.

First, confirm the engine cylinder compression is within specification.  Each cylinder should be above 100 psi and the lowest reading should not be less than 70-75 percent of the highest reading.  For example, if the highest cylinder is 180 psi the lowest cylinder should not be below 126-135 psi.  A running issue caused by poor compression will mimic running issues caused by ignition and fuel problem.

Second, verify that all ignition components are working properly.  If you haven't changed the distributer cap and rotor, the spark plugs, ignition wires, or checked the ignition timing in the last two or three years, then they should be suspect.  A running issue caused by worn ignition components will mimic a running issue caused by a fuel problem.

Third, verify that the fuel system is working properly.  Fuel filters, carb float levels, and fuel pressure should be checked last when diagnosing a running issue.