Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2022 Discounts

RCorsa

I know all the markets (used cars, boats etc) are having supply issues which is propping up values on used vehicles.  I’m now planning on selling my 2018 M235 (200 hrs in perfect condition) and upgrading to a M240 or MAYBE jumping into the Nautique line up (I know blasphemy here).  Of course when I bought my 2018 it was a very different time/market.  However for those of you that have purchased 2021 or 2022 recently is anyone still getting discounts off MSRP on new custom orders?  If so what is reasonable ?  I found with some cars you can still get 5% off MSRP when 2 years ago 8%-10% was standard?  That said I know the markup from invoice on most boats is at least 50% compared to the low margins on cars ( 12%) 

It is widely variable from market to market, so unfortunately, I don't think you are going to get a good answer.  My experience has been that boat discounts are more variable from person to person, even from the same dealer.  Longstanding good repeat customers are likely to get better discounts.  Longstanding pain in the butt customers a little less discount, etc.  

Having said that, I think we still have a supply and demand problem, so discounts will be less due to increased demand and lower supply.  Some dealers have really taken advantage of that, and others have not been as shrewd.   

• Like 3
ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, TallRedRider said:

It is widely variable from market to market, so unfortunately, I don't think you are going to get a good answer.  My experience has been that boat discounts are more variable from person to person, even from the same dealer.  Longstanding good repeat customers are likely to get better discounts.  Longstanding pain in the butt customers a little less discount, etc.  

Having said that, I think we still have a supply and demand problem, so discounts will be less due to increased demand and lower supply.  Some dealers have really taken advantage of that, and others have not been as shrewd.   

This. Now more than ever is it a waste of time to compare discounts. Buy at a price you are comfortable with your budget and life and enjoy the boat!

• Like 2

As buying can now be done easier around the country it’s generally a good use of national forums to see what dealers are good and which ones take advantage of uninformed customers to argue supply chain issues are precluding typical discounts seen an annual boat shows   

For example, in the automotive Arena I bought a 2021 Porsche Taycan In December from a New Jersey dealer at a 7% discount when my local dealer was only offering $500 off MSRP.  Once I said I was buying out of state they agreed to the same discount.  Needless to say out of principle I bought out of state.  

Therefore I welcome real world numbers rather than conjecture to gauge the market if people have them. 

Thanks in advance. 

ahopkins22LSV
57 minutes ago, RCorsa said:

As buying can now be done easier around the country it’s generally a good use of national forums to see what dealers are good and which ones take advantage of uninformed customers to argue supply chain issues are precluding typical discounts seen an annual boat shows   

For example, in the automotive Arena I bought a 2021 Porsche Taycan In December from a New Jersey dealer at a 7% discount when my local dealer was only offering $500 off MSRP.  Once I said I was buying out of state they agreed to the same discount.  Needless to say out of principle I bought out of state.  

Therefore I welcome real world numbers rather than conjecture to gauge the market if people have them. 

Thanks in advance. 

That’s not how the boat industry works though. There are territories. It’s best to establish a good relationship with your local dealer and work the best deal there. If you find a dealer across the country that is willing to sell outside of territory, it would greatly tarnish your local dealers relationship. 

• Like 2

For folks like me looking to get into their first boat at such a strange time, this is a very welcome topic and I appreciate any real world recent info people are willing to share.  

Boating is intimidating and expensive with large barriers to entry for people that didn't grow up doing it.  I've found it's a strange industry that is oddly tight lipped around pricing.  From the outside in that approach seems to mostly benefit dealers and seasoned boat owners.  I get that  aspect of it and that it's not the car industry etc. 

But again, I would also appreciate any info. I have been renting boats and lurking here for years. I really enjoy the forum and learning about all aspects of the boating world. 

If I recall correctly, you’re in an area where the dealer has been, to use the analogy above, very shrewd. Go a couple hours south, and that dealer’s pricing is dramatically better, say around 20% or so off MSRP. 

Being a potential repeat buyer at the high end price point, have a discussion and see where the pricing goes. Both dealers are serious when they say they have limited slots left for MY2022. Even shrewd pricing strategies work for awhile when the market is this hot.

Definitely agree with the above. But I will say you can still get a deal if you find the right dealer. 

i can’t speak to specifics on the deal I’m getting on a 2022. But I will say you can still get between 15-20% Msrp in today’s world. As mentioned, dealer relationship and territory will play a role. As well as how many spots are still available for your model. 

2 hours ago, Zac said:

For folks like me looking to get into their first boat at such a strange time, this is a very welcome topic and I appreciate any real world recent info people are willing to share.  

Boating is intimidating and expensive with large barriers to entry for people that didn't grow up doing it.  I've found it's a strange industry that is oddly tight lipped around pricing.  From the outside in that approach seems to mostly benefit dealers and seasoned boat owners.  I get that  aspect of it and that it's not the car industry etc. 

But again, I would also appreciate any info. I have been renting boats and lurking here for years. I really enjoy the forum and learning about all aspects of the boating world. 

Fair question. Pre-Covid, pricing was generally 20-25% off MSRP for Malibu's, with some getting closer to 30% off. Closer to 30% usually meant some combination of repeat buyer, seasonal discounts (fall rebates, boat show specials, etc.), or a leftover boat a dealer decided had to move.

Covid hit and you could almost name your price during March 2020. By the end of April, sales were picking up quickly and during May dealers realized they were going to have issues getting enough boats for the demand. 2021 was year two of this buying panic, with many dealers sold out in June or early July. The disparity in pricing is very broad now, and the regional territory restrictions really start to play into what's possible in your area. Some dealers are full MSRP, some are slightly discounted off MSRP and others are still in the 15-20% range, sometimes even higher. 

2022 is shaping up to be more of the same, with most of the year's production already spoken for in custom orders. Dealers will try to get what they can to have in their own stock, but it's hard to turn down a paying customer asking for the same build slot. 

• Like 3

I would add.  The used boat market is hot.  The high prices in the used market, in my opinion justifying buying new.  Switching from Yamaha to Malibu, I sold my Yamaha 242 SE for 1,000 more than I paid for a year and a half ago. 

I could have probably got up to 5 to 9k more if I played the line of buyers off each other.  However I decided not to be greedy and pass on the good vibes.  

That being said, Life is Good if your even having this conversation.  

• Like 2

Buy within territory but negotiate amongst brands.  You already said you were going to buy either a Malibu or a Nautique.  See which one wants your business more.  

Do these numbers change at all north of the border? 

I have houses in two large BC markets (Vancouver and Kelowna), but will only use the boat in Kelowna. 

Both Malibu dealers haven't had boats in stock all spring/summer. Strangely my communal dock doesn't have any newer Malibus.  It is filled with Mastercrafts and G23's.  I've been on alot of brands this season (supra, centurion, Mastercraft, Nautique, and even Hey Dey) but not a single newer (2015+) Malibu.  I barely see them on the lake here to be honest. 

I'm preferential to the exterior look and finish of Malibus, but they are like unicorns here it seems. 

Edit: And it would be really nice to be able to compare performance of the newer ones with other brands.  I've only been on mid to late 2000 Malibus and I don't think (hope) it's a fair comparison to the newer boats of other brands. 

Edited by Zac

Just want to put in a good word for my local dealer, Launch Marine, in Kalispell and Great Falls. Granted I'm a repeat buyer, with a great relationship with the sales guys, and service guys, and I've chatted with the owner on demo days. 

They did not try to take advantage of the current inventory situation. My sense is that they value repeat business/ reputation, over maximizing profit on each sale.  Even in the pre-Covid era, I would have been perfectly happy with discount I received. 

• Like 1

I rarely post on this forum but browse often... I have a build slot on a new boat (may or may not be a MasterCraft) due for delivery in the spring, and I'm getting a 20% discount off MSRP. I've taken my boat to these guys for years and have built up a first name relationship with them. I also talked with my local Malibu dealer and they weren't offering me anything, granted that was the first time I've ever set foot in their establishment. At the end of the day, I think it really depends on what relationships you have with what dealers.