Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine Alignment

I'm trying to align the engine in a 2007 VTX.  I have the up/down pretty close, but I need to slide it to Starboard a little.  I've loosened both bolts on slide mounts, and when I try to pry it over, it's not giving.  I see the vertical engine mount bolts flexing, but the transmission wont slide on the shaft.  Any ideas how to break that loose?

Lube the trunnion shafts with WD40 or similar spray.  I have used a wood block just like justgary suggested to push on the trunnion with a small prybar.  Tapping the mount from the side with a hammer can also help.  In some cases it is easier to slide the engine and trans with all of the trunnion pinch bolts lose and give each pinch bolt a tap to make sure they are not binding the trunnion shafts.

Once you loosen the Pinch bolts Give the bolt a tap with a hammer or something to push the bolt back into the hole. The pinch bolt basically is a wedge against the shaft that slides side to side in the engine mount. When you loosen the nut it does not necessarily loosen that wedge and you need to give it a little tap to loosen it up. Once I did that I was able to slide the engine side to side fairly easily.