Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Sugestions

JoeD

We've had Nautique's since 2007 and are replacing our 2014 G23 this year.  Checked out the local Malibu/Axis dealer, liked the boats and wanted to get some insights from Malibu owners, so here goes.

1. We ski 10% (barefoot a little), surf 90%, board only when kids friends want to.  Our G23 has the NCRS that adjusts the running surface so the slalom wake isn't too terrible and it maintains speed through turns etc. It's actually one of my favorite things about the boat. Does Malibu have something similar? Would skiing behind a M220 be similar to skiing behind a G 23?

2. How big is the difference between the surf wake of a 23 LSV with the Diamond hull vs Wake Plus?

3. Is a walk through transom available on the A 24? I like the idea of a more basic dash, not a fan of all the touch screen stuff. Guess I'm a geezer.

4. How would you rank the surf wakes of the A24, 24MXZ, 23LSV and M220? How do these boats vary cruising in rough water?

5. How much bow rise is there while surfing with the above boats? I've driven a friends Moomba and practically had to stand to see at surf speeds.

It's tricky, you don't want to buy a boat you're able to ski behind and wind up disappointed surfing which is the main purpose of the boat.  We may just opt for the best surf wake and buy and older ski boat as well.

Thanks in advance for any insights or recommendations!

1. im not a skier, but I would guess that the wake behind the M220 and the G23 is similar at that speed.

2. at surf speeds, I don't think there is a lot of difference between the Diamond and Wake hulls. I think it is when you start to speed up that the diamond hull starts to lift the boat to help with skiing wake

3. I don't think the walkthrough is available on the A24

4. All three boats surf great. A24 and 24MXZ should have similar waves. The 23LSV is a great boat, but will get pushed around more in the big chop compared to the M220/24MXZ/A24. the M220 is a really heavy boat with very high sides (my M220 is 12" taller on the trailer than my 2016 23LSV).

5. if you use lift mode in the M220, there is virtually no bow rise. if you don't use lift mode, you get some bow rise when you take off, but I can drive surfers without standing up

if you are serious about skiing, then your idea of buying an older ski boat is probably the best path.

2 hours ago, MTBoy said:

Man if you think skiing is good behind a G23 I think you would love anything in the Malibu lineup.  

:lol: Not good skiing, just not bad enough to buy a second boat to ski!

That’s the plan. I’m hoping to narrow things down to a couple of boats with some online research.

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Demo, Demo, Demo, Demo.

You're asking a lot about different boats that is very subjective.

Go to your dealer and Demo, if they don't have the boat you want to demo, ask to get a ride on one from some of their better customers. If not, Get a ride on one from one of the members here close to your location.

Due to the current market and end of season the dealership only had two of the models I’ve mentioned to look at. 
Thanks !

Agree very subjective, all comments are baed on our 2021 23 MXZ or 2020 22 LSV, or reading this board.

1. We ski 10% (barefoot a little), surf 90%, board only when kids friends want to.  Our G23 has the NCRS that adjusts the running surface so the slalom wake isn't too terrible and it maintains speed through turns etc. It's actually one of my favorite things about the boat. Does Malibu have something similar? Would skiing behind a M220 be similar to skiing behind a G 23? I don't think any of the boats you listed will have a good ski wake.  From what I have seen of the Diamond hull the wake is not tooooo bad and specific takeoffs and speeds, if you are not on one of the sweet spots not so good.  The guy in or crew that used to ski on the college ski team leaves his ski at home, he started that after trying behind our 2020 22 LSV Wake Hull, the MXZ is worse.  When I was some decades younger my foot speed was 43 mph, our boat tops out at 38.6 with the M6 engine and at that speed is using something like 20 GPH.  Most if not all that use a prop that will get them over 40 have the LT4 motor.  Get a second boat.

2. How big is the difference between the surf wake of a 23 LSV with the Diamond hull vs Wake Plus?  On a 23 ft anything, get a second boat.  Again, at specific speeds and rope lengths not as bad as the rest of the time.  We did demo a 20 VTX, was not that impressed even with the Diamond hull.  Our empty 23 MZX with a tank of gas is at least 6,500 with no one in the boat, with 10 crew you are over 8k, very hard to make a good ski wake with that displacement.

3. Is a walk through transom available on the A 24? I like the idea of a more basic dash, not a fan of all the touch screen stuff. Guess I'm a geezer.  Don't know if you are a geezer or about the walk thru :-).

4. How would you rank the surf wakes of the A24, 24MXZ, 23LSV and M220? How do these boats vary cruising in rough water?  I read the Malibu forum so not sure about the A24.  Based on what others have said I would say in order of push and wake length 23 LSV, 23 MXZ (400 lb heaver in the bow), 24 MXZ and M220.  The wild card is the 2022 25 LSV, they are just out and the few posted comments would have you believe is has an improved surf wake over the previous year.  We have the 23 MXZ, spray over bow in rough water and hard to keep from dipping the bow when loaded for surf if there are many waves to work around.  Everything written about the M220 is that the high bow is much improved RE dipping and rough water.

5. How much bow rise is there while surfing with the above boats? I've driven a friends Moomba and practically had to stand to see at surf speeds.  My approach to best general purpose surf wake is max bow and trim the stern so the bow is not too high.  The wedge does two things, it pulls the stern down simulating weight and flips water up toward the surface and that make it different from just weight.  Wedge of 1 or 2 not much bow rise, 3 is up a bit, at 5' 10" the 4 wedge puts the bow up enough that I have to sit on something/stand.  We have the power seat, rarely move it but it gives you significantly more height so you can sit and drive looking over the windshield.  

Don't know what your current boat weighs but our 2021 23 MXZ is lighter than everything on your list (except the 23 LSV) and is right at 8,000 lbs on a double axel trailer with a full tank of gas.  Make sure you can pull what you buy.

11 hours ago, JoeD said:

It's tricky, you don't want to buy a boat you're able to ski behind and wind up disappointed surfing which is the main purpose of the boat.  We may just opt for the best surf wake and buy and older ski boat as well.

Do yourself a huge favor and click one less options box on the wake barge and pick up a '92 prostar or a '97 ski nautique or a mid-90's response.  

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Surf4FamFun said:

Agree very subjective, all comments are baed on our 2021 23 MXZ or 2020 22 LSV, or reading this board.

1. We ski 10% (barefoot a little), surf 90%, board only when kids friends want to.  Our G23 has the NCRS that adjusts the running surface so the slalom wake isn't too terrible and it maintains speed through turns etc. It's actually one of my favorite things about the boat. Does Malibu have something similar? Would skiing behind a M220 be similar to skiing behind a G 23? I don't think any of the boats you listed will have a good ski wake.  From what I have seen of the Diamond hull the wake is not tooooo bad and specific takeoffs and speeds, if you are not on one of the sweet spots not so good.  The guy in or crew that used to ski on the college ski team leaves his ski at home, he started that after trying behind our 2020 22 LSV Wake Hull, the MXZ is worse.  When I was some decades younger my foot speed was 43 mph, our boat tops out at 38.6 with the M6 engine and at that speed is using something like 20 GPH.  Most if not all that use a prop that will get them over 40 have the LT4 motor.  Get a second boat.

2. How big is the difference between the surf wake of a 23 LSV with the Diamond hull vs Wake Plus?  On a 23 ft anything, get a second boat.  Again, at specific speeds and rope lengths not as bad as the rest of the time.  We did demo a 20 VTX, was not that impressed even with the Diamond hull.  Our empty 23 MZX with a tank of gas is at least 6,500 with no one in the boat, with 10 crew you are over 8k, very hard to make a good ski wake with that displacement.

3. Is a walk through transom available on the A 24? I like the idea of a more basic dash, not a fan of all the touch screen stuff. Guess I'm a geezer.  Don't know if you are a geezer or about the walk thru :-).

4. How would you rank the surf wakes of the A24, 24MXZ, 23LSV and M220? How do these boats vary cruising in rough water?  I read the Malibu forum so not sure about the A24.  Based on what others have said I would say in order of push and wake length 23 LSV, 23 MXZ (400 lb heaver in the bow), 24 MXZ and M220.  The wild card is the 2022 25 LSV, they are just out and the few posted comments would have you believe is has an improved surf wake over the previous year.  We have the 23 MXZ, spray over bow in rough water and hard to keep from dipping the bow when loaded for surf if there are many waves to work around.  Everything written about the M220 is that the high bow is much improved RE dipping and rough water.

5. How much bow rise is there while surfing with the above boats? I've driven a friends Moomba and practically had to stand to see at surf speeds.  My approach to best general purpose surf wake is max bow and trim the stern so the bow is not too high.  The wedge does two things, it pulls the stern down simulating weight and flips water up toward the surface and that make it different from just weight.  Wedge of 1 or 2 not much bow rise, 3 is up a bit, at 5' 10" the 4 wedge puts the bow up enough that I have to sit on something/stand.  We have the power seat, rarely move it but it gives you significantly more height so you can sit and drive looking over the windshield.  

Don't know what your current boat weighs but our 2021 23 MXZ is lighter than everything on your list (except the 23 LSV) and is right at 8,000 lbs on a double axel trailer with a full tank of gas.  Make sure you can pull what you buy.

Thank you, this is very helpful. What wedge setting and speed do you surf the most in your MXZ? 

I barefoot at 38 mph (58yo), which is almost top speed for our G23. God only knows what the fuel burn is, but it’s only for a couple of minutes maybe three if I’m lucky:drool:.(that’s what she….never mind). We’ve footed and recreational slalomed fine behind our 2000 and 2004 Sea Rays, 2007 Nautique 236 and  2014 G23 all 23 ft boats. So we’re obviously not picky and probably lack good sense.

Seems like the 23 MXZ or M220 might be the best fit. But the new 25 LSV you mentioned is gorgeous, deeper with more freeboard, and I love those aft rear facing reclining seats. 

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience and knowledge.  That was a well thought out post.

ahopkins22LSV
15 hours ago, JoeD said:

That’s the plan. I’m hoping to narrow things down to a couple of boats with some online research.

Due to the current market and end of season the dealership only had two of the models I’ve mentioned to look at. 
Thanks !

Your dealer probably has set of customers that have the boats you want to demo as Ronnie mentioned. I'd ask about that. It is for sure tough with the current market to get a demo, but I am sure customers are willing to help, I have taken a few out this year for my dealer. Or as Ronnie said, share your specific location and I bet someone on here is willing to take you out.

• Like 2