Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Exposing 2022 Monsoon M5 engine data ?

I am looking at finding way to expose engine data and fuel consumption. What version of MEFI is in the new Monsoon engines?

Was thinking of getting a NMEA 2000 gateway from Fox Marine https://fox-marine.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=81&product_id=70

which would then make the engine data accessible to NMEA devices including NMEA apps on iOS. I assume one could then use the GPS on phone combined with engine fuel flow data to derive MPG and other stats. Atleast this is how it worked with my old boat and Garmin GPS hooked into ETEC engine over NMEA. Really loved that setup as I had ability to real dial in the prop/RPMs and always cruise at optimal speed.

I saw similar project in Wakegarage which provided great fuel consumption stats but lack of integration into GPS and NMEA means no ability to derive MPG etc.

10 hours ago, boardjnky4 said:

Rinda DIACOM is the official mechanism for interfacing with the ECM.

I am hoping to get the data exposed in a form like NMEA 2000 where I can use it with my phone and a gps. 

Fair point re warranty. I wonder what comms protocol Garmin is using to interface with the engine as they pull a fair bit of info on the new touchscreen. I would assume they too are using NMEA or using the J1939 protocol. I can’t see why reading the data that is already there would pose warranty issue but as you point out always safe to check as it could be an excuse not to cover engine work.

I will miss this about our old boat which had Evinrude ETEC with NMEA 2000 port that seamlessly shared data with 3rd party electronics like my Garmin Chartplotter. Allowed me to see mpg, fuel remaining and a host of useful stats in combo with the charts.

I always trusted the Garmin fuel level calculations as they were within 1%. Analog fuel gauge was useless.

Do you have your boat yet? I think on the Malibu they expose almost all of these data points on the screens. Wonder if it's the same on Axis. I didn't check that when I was on a 2022 the other day.

45 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

Do you have your boat yet? I think on the Malibu they expose almost all of these data points on the screens. Wonder if it's the same on Axis. I didn't check that when I was on a 2022 the other day.

Don't have boat yet but saw all the Garmin screenshots and it appears they do indeed surface a fair bit of data RPMs, engine temps, pressure etc - everything but the fuel related stats:) Fuel level looks to come from analog fuel sensor in the tank which isn't very accurate.  

1 hour ago, TommyTuna said:

Don't have boat yet but saw all the Garmin screenshots and it appears they do indeed surface a fair bit of data RPMs, engine temps, pressure etc - everything but the fuel related stats:) Fuel level looks to come from analog fuel sensor in the tank which isn't very accurate.  

The computer generates GPH, though, based on running conditions and injector flow. So that could be in the feed from the ECM feeding into the Garmin unit.