Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wrench of choice

I need to swap out my shaft packing.  It’s a 2000 sunsetter vlx.  All of my wrenches that are big enough to loosen the nut are a bit long to get into the space…. I sure I can make something work but thought maybe someone has conquered this with finesse already…..

This is the one that I use - along with a channel locks.  No issues with the space on the RLXI that I did last month - but there is more space on a direct drive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016OK8QNM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Might be a good time to upgrade to a dripless setup

Edited by oldjeep

I did the harbor freight wrench cut, works well. Pretty sure it's 1 13/16 size.... Also grab the pick set for a couple bucks while you're there. You'll need it.

32BF0C57-2005-477B-AC80-8E6713EF2440

Edited by BlindSquirrel

I purchased two anodized aluminum shaft packing wrenches from Bakesonline.com years ago. They were pricey but well worth the money. I also bought slip joint wide jaw pliers similar to what @oldjeep posted. The handle is a bit too long to access the packing nuts on our v-drive, buts works well on our direct drive. 

Shaft Packing Wrench Custom 1-7/8 inch with Malibu Logo (bakesonline.com)

I also cut up a 1 7/8 combination wrench that had been hanging on the wall of my shop for 20 years.  Left from old job.  Cut a slot in the closed end, and had both needed wrenches.  And no teeth marks from using vise grips/ channel locks.