Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

OJ 1997 vs Acme 2773

23 hours ago, PopsA22 said:

I'm changing my prop based on advice from Acme.  I currently have 2249 and changing to a 2277.  My goal is to lower RPM a little.  The difference between you and I is that I'm at sea level.  I'll let you know how it goes for me when I test it.  

Looking forward to hear what RPMs you end up at!

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/5/2022 at 10:42 AM, PopsA22 said:

I'm changing my prop based on advice from Acme.  I currently have 2249 and changing to a 2277.  My goal is to lower RPM a little.  The difference between you and I is that I'm at sea level.  I'll let you know how it goes for me when I test it.  

Have you taken it out again with the 2277?  I switched my prop to 2277 but haven' had a chance to take it out yet.  @Raimie indicated it should be good but just looking for as many opinions as possible.  

Yes. Prop is a great option for me. Basically lowered my engine RPM about 300 at all speeds. This is what I was looking to accomplish. The only negative thing I noticed was that the surf wave on the port side was not as clean or big as it was with the other 2249 prop. Interesting I know and I wasn’t the only person who noticed it. Thankfully I surf goofy. 

Ran on the 2277 yesterday in my 2018 A22 with the 410 at sea level. No issues at all. Ran full ballast up front and center and 3/4 in the rear with 4 guys in the boat and floating wedge deployed. Ran great and RPMs were between 3600 and 3800 which is an improvement from 4100 with the 2449.  Just an update in case anyone was wondering. 

• 1 month later...

Finally threw the OJ 1919 on since we dinged our 2773.   Hole shot was great, prop was smooth however I think we actually increased our wakeboard RPM's.   We run full ballast, 250lb of lead in the nose, and PWII on a 3 or 4 with 3 adults and 4 kids in the boat.   We were around 4600 RPM's and I believe we were at 4300 with the 2773.   Would love to get those RPM's closer to 4000.   

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/6/2022 at 11:25 AM, theloungelife said:

Looking forward to hear what RPMs you end up at!

How long does it take you to plane with your wakeboard setup?  I’m still struggling at about 500’ elevation. Probably close to ten seconds with just a few people and full ballast. Won’t plane with full ballast and 6-8 people. So I always end up draining lots of ballast. I went with the M6 just so that I wouldn’t have to mess with draining but that didn’t work out. Running about 5k rpm and overheat about once a month. 

Are you running the wedge. The M6 should get you on plane no problem.  I would dump the rear bags to about half and run wedge on 2 or 3. That will engage lift mode on the hole shot and get you in plane much easier. 

On 7/5/2022 at 7:33 AM, scrupulous said:

Finally threw the OJ 1919 on since we dinged our 2773.   Hole shot was great, prop was smooth however I think we actually increased our wakeboard RPM's.   We run full ballast, 250lb of lead in the nose, and PWII on a 3 or 4 with 3 adults and 4 kids in the boat.   We were around 4600 RPM's and I believe we were at 4300 with the 2773.   Would love to get those RPM's closer to 4000.   

When you quoted your RPM's what was your boat speed?  

On 5/5/2022 at 8:42 AM, PopsA22 said:

This is the factory speed prop the T220 comes with when optioned with the M6.  I think it's a great combo of torque and RPM.  Boat gets out of the hole with ease when loaded-up, has a top speed of 43mph, and very reasonable RPMs for surfing/wakeboarding.  Surfing we are right around 3400rpm.  

2 minutes ago, scrupulous said:

I ride at 22.4. 

Got it 22.4 MPH at 4300 RPM.  I'll compare my 2277 prop next time out.  I have the older PCM 409 engine so it will be different, but just want to compare.  

On 5/5/2022 at 8:42 AM, PopsA22 said:

yes you def want 2277.  I ran that prop's close cousin (2279) at 4k' and it was great.  At sea level it's still plenty and will greatly increase your cruising speed.

1 minute ago, shawndoggy said:

yes you def want 2277.  I ran that prop's close cousin (2279) at 4k' and it was great.  At sea level it's still plenty and will greatly increase your cruising speed.

My observation from changing 2249 to 2277 prop was about 300 RPM lower at all speeds and weight. 

On 8/1/2022 at 1:43 PM, 98buphon said:

How long does it take you to plane with your wakeboard setup?  I’m still struggling at about 500’ elevation. Probably close to ten seconds with just a few people and full ballast. Won’t plane with full ballast and 6-8 people. So I always end up draining lots of ballast. I went with the M6 just so that I wouldn’t have to mess with draining but that didn’t work out. Running about 5k rpm and overheat about once a month. 

I don't know the exact time but I would think around 30 secs or so.  I feel like my setup is pretty dialed at this point.  Wake is big and clean.  Here is the rundown:

Boat and crew: 2022 A22 w/M6 riding at 5500' above sea level.  Typically 1 driver, 1 spotter and 1 rider.  

Ballast:

• Wedge at 3
  • All hard tanks full
  • Rear pnp 550 wakemakers bags - I fill them till they pee, then drain for 1 min
  • Nose 440 wakemakers pnp bag full - I know these are custom fit but I have suspisions if this bag really is 440 in real life
  • 500lb bag in the nose that is full but not bloated
  • 270lbs lead that is mostly mid cabin on the spotter's side.  Move as needed.  These boats stock are super driver side heavy.  

Prop: Acme 3065 (tried 2249 and 2773 previously).  Typical riding RPMs around 4200-4300.

On 5/5/2022 at 9:43 AM, mobius481 said:

definitely keep me updated.  I'm at sea level and ran around 3500 rpms surfing the other day and 4000 with the wedge (floating wedge).  Not sure if I need bow weight or what but I have a 2277 that I thought about putting on.  I just wasn't sure if it would have enough power but I'd love to run lower RPMs and get more top end speed.  I'm in a 2018 A22 with 409.  

Forgot to update this post.  The 2277 prop was definitely better for my situation.  Basically lowered my RPM's about 300 all around.  Surfing went from 3700 RPM to 3400 RPM.  I can now cruise across the lake at 25 MPH at 3400 RPM.  The 2277 prop is definitely better for me at sea level.  

• 10 months later...

Just an update for us, was running the OJ 1919 and had great power but what felt like pretty high RPMs when wakeboarding.  Close to 4700/4800 with full ballast, wedge, 250 lead in the nose, 3 adults and 4 kids.   Changed out to the ACME 3065 and was pretty happy with the performance.  Maybe a smidge less on the holeshot, but felt smoother and got the RPM's down to 4300/4400 with the same set up.   Surfing we ran full ballast, 11 MPH, no wedge and we were turning around 3500 RPMs.   

@scrupulous What is your fuel burn rate with the 3065?

In my 2018 A22 I just switched from a damaged 2249 (bend in one of the blade tips from previous owner. I ran this prop for WAY too long) to a 2313 (15 x 12 x .150cup) then dialed it back to a 3093 (15 x 12.5 x .165cup).

Ballast:

Wedge at 2 (Wedge 1 for beginners)

All hard tanks full

Rear pnp 750lb bags

Nose pnp 500lb

Speed is between 10.8-11 for experienced surfers and 10.5 for beginners.

Crew is between 4 and 10 people depending on how many friends I have that day. We'll throw someone in the bow if needed on a lighter crew. With 10 people we're forced to put people in the bow so it works out just fine.

I went from burning 7.68GPH (averaged over all last summer 100hrs of boating which was 95% surfing) to between 4.4-4.6 (average over 40 hours this past week, 90% surfing)

I couldn't be happier w/ the new prop right now. Shoutout to Dan at ACME who helped me out in choosing.

Edited by jbash87
Added crew size
  • Like 1
On 7/9/2023 at 12:28 PM, jbash87 said:

@scrupulous What is your fuel burn rate with the 3065?

In my 2018 A22 I just switched from a damaged 2249 (bend in one of the blade tips from previous owner. I ran this prop for WAY too long) to a 2313 (15 x 12 x .150cup) then dialed it back to a 3093 (15 x 12.5 x .165cup).

Ballast:

Wedge at 2 (Wedge 1 for beginners)

All hard tanks full

Rear pnp 750lb bags

Nose pnp 500lb

Speed is between 10.8-11 for experienced surfers and 10.5 for beginners.

Crew is between 4 and 10 people depending on how many friends I have that day. We'll throw someone in the bow if needed on a lighter crew. With 10 people we're forced to put people in the bow so it works out just fine.

I went from burning 7.68GPH (averaged over all last summer 100hrs of boating which was 95% surfing) to between 4.4-4.6 (average over 40 hours this past week, 90% surfing)

I couldn't be happier w/ the new prop right now. Shoutout to Dan at ACME who helped me out in choosing.

Would love to provide more specifics in fuel burn rates but haven’t tracked it as close as you.     I’ll try to calculate the next tank.  

We run 80% wakeboard so our numbers will be different but again, initial impression was positive with ~ 400/500 lower RPM’s.  

• 1 month later...

I just switched from a 2249 to a 3093 after talking to ACME sales team. A few things I noticed for anyone else looking to make the switch. 

- Bow rise is significantly lowered. 

- 2022 22' LSV (full ballast + pnp), small crew of 4 I could not hit anything but wedge 2 without adding weight in the bow (with 2249). With the 3093 I can hit wedge 3 easily, and 4 basically at WOT but it works. 

- With ballast/crew as noted above, RPM dropped at surf speeds of 11.2 consistently by 150-250 RPM. 

- Cruising at 25mph RPM increased by 100-150. Have not tested but did sacrifice some top end speed. 

For my use case the 3093 has been a great switch so far. I live on a river that is only 4-5 miles so we do a ton of surfing and basically zero cruising. I'm going to add 250-500 lbs of lead to the bow and see if I can hit wedge 5 & 6 with the new prop.