Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

OJ 1997 vs Acme 2773

I am running the 2773 on my M5. Full MLS, 850lbs bow weight with wedge at 4 and 11.2mph will see you at @ 3800 rpm. 20 mph with 2 people and full fuel will see you @ 3700ish rpm. It will keep in the sweet spot of torque curve, but the rpms will be kind of high IMO. If you wakeboard, don’t even consider it! JM2C

Last year I damaged my 2773 loading the boat on the trailer, and couldnt get another due to the end of the world... otherwise know as covid. Acme recommended getting the 3093 prop. But I noticed that the boat would pull at a higher rpm( around 4000-4500rpm) when surfing.  So I've decided to stick with my 2773 prop. I sold the 3093 and now I need to get another  back up prop.  Not sure if I should try something else or stick with the 2773

I don’t know your elevation, crew size, ballast or boat use preferences but IMO, the 15x13 2773 might be the lowest pitched prop you’d want to go with considering fuel consumption/RPM’s. Especially if you wakeboard. I’d probably consider a 15x14 prop for a spare. Maybe the ACME 2249 (15x14.25) or OJ V4 1951 (15x14).

JM2C, though, as I only have experience on my ‘19 A22 with a 2249 and a 2279. I believe @scrupulousrecently tested out an OJ 1951 on their A22 and came away disappointed. Might be worth a DM. 
We love our 2249 as a spare and actually end up using it whenever we go to higher elevations or with huge crew.

Edited by formerathlete

This prop is for my 2020 A22, almost always surfing. full ballast in rear, about 80% full up front and power wedge at 4 or 5. the 3093 that I was using was pulling way too much rpm. So, its either get another 2773 as a spare  or maybe find something that might work a little better

I think you’d find lower RPM by more bow weight. 100% ballast plus consider lead. These newer A22 hulls need more bow weight. When bow high, RPM high. 

The only time I fill rear ballast of our A22 (750’s) to 100% is when bow ballast is full and some crew are up front. And I never go above 4 on PW3. Too much rear weight and your prop is pushing you to the moon and not forward=crazy RPM’s

Edited by formerathlete

I am running a 2773 as my current prop and needed a spare so thought we would try the 1951.  I ran it for a day at Cumberland and it wasn't the right solution for us.    We run full ballast (750 PNP in the rear), 250 lb of lead in the nose, and the wedge between 2 and 4.   With lift mode we were able to get on plane no problem but it was noticeably longer.   I really didn't notice much if any different in the RPM's, maybe 100/200 when wakeboarding but surfing was about the same.   We also felt like there was a bit of a shudder when getting on plane that isn't there with the 2773.  

That said, OJ is great to work with, took back the 1951 and shipped us a 1991.  Haven't had a chance to try it yet.   Would love to find something to reduce our RPM's slightly, I'm still tweaking our nose to stern weight to help.    

Edited by scrupulous
  • 2 months later...

Anyone try out the OJ 1997 yet?  I curently have the acme 2773 and 2249 for my 22' A22.  Fully ballasted at wakeboard speeds I'm in the 4700-4800rpm range with both of them.  Maybe the 2249 is 100rpm less.  2773 has a little bit better hole shot.  Feels like this is high rpms and it surely guzzles the gas.  Saw the 1997 and thought it looked like a good contender.  Maybe I'm too used to my 2013 A22 LS3 that ran around 3900rpm, but this does feel high.

Few notes:

• The boat has about 14 hours on it now.  Did the full 10 hour breakin before weighing it down.  Dealer service at 10 hours done.
  • I'm at 5500-6000' elevation when riding. 
  • M6DI engine
  • When wakboarding, full PNP with 650s in the back + 200lbs lead around the boat + 800lbs bag in the bow over the seat.  
  • Boat gets on plane but does feel like I am near the max point weight wise with either prop I currently have
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/3/2021 at 8:44 AM, theloungelife said:

Anyone try out the OJ 1997 yet?  I curently have the acme 2773 and 2249 for my 22' A22.  Fully ballasted at wakeboard speeds I'm in the 4700-4800rpm range with both of them.  Maybe the 2249 is 100rpm less.  2773 has a little bit better hole shot.  Feels like this is high rpms and it surely guzzles the gas.  Saw the 1997 and thought it looked like a good contender.  Maybe I'm too used to my 2013 A22 LS3 that ran around 3900rpm, but this does feel high.

Few notes:

• The boat has about 14 hours on it now.  Did the full 10 hour breakin before weighing it down.  Dealer service at 10 hours done.
  • I'm at 5500-6000' elevation when riding. 
  • M6DI engine
  • When wakboarding, full PNP with 650s in the back + 200lbs lead around the boat + 800lbs bag in the bow over the seat.  
  • Boat gets on plane but does feel like I am near the max point weight wise with either prop I currently have

We are in the same situation:
2022 A22 w/ M6 and a 2249 that came with boat
Lakes at 4,505', 6,000' and 6,224'

Looking to add a spare before stocks get low this Spring and considering the 2773 and using it when above 6,000'.

Haven't had the chance to complete the full break-in on the M6 yet, so rolling the dice a bit on ordering a spare without knowing true RPM range yet.

Any regrets or anything you would do differently with the 2249 and 2773 combo?

2773 puts my M5 center mass of the torque curve at @ 3750ish rpm surfing. That same rpm sees me at @ 21mph cruising. Too high for my addled brain! I ran a 16”x15” ACME (3337) from my buds SA400 for a couple weekends and saw the same or better performance with a 500 rpm drop across the board. Gained 5 mph on the cruise speed and @ 5db sound decrease which was very noticeable. The hull gap was decreased to @ 3/8”, but I saw no adverse reaction to the hull i. e. prop burn. Honestly I feel strongly enough about the performance gain that, if it does occur a couple hours in I am just going to epoxy a thin SS sheet in that area to mitigate the issue. YRMV

• Like 1

I just bought a 2249 for my new to me 2018 A22 with 409.  I was thinking this would be my every day prop.  I'm basically at sea level. Is that prop too aggressive or should I be okay?  

I ended up chatting with an engineer at Acme about all of this.  He said the 2249 and 2773 are kind of similar but the 2773 should have a little more hole shot with similar RPM.  This was my real life experience as well.  He suggested that I try out the 3065 to lower my rpms while still running a decent amount of ballast.  I just ordered one and am going to give that a go in the spring.  Really want to get down to lower 4000's at wakeboard speed, fully ballasted.  Might come down to running slightly less weight but we'll see.  My engine is at about 25 hours right now so maybe it will improve GPH as it continues to get used.  Right now fully ballasted wakeboarding, I'm crushing about 4-4.5 gallons for a 15 min set.  A lot more than I am used to from my 13' A22 LS3 (was about 2.5-3 gallons a set)

@Never I feel like the 2249 tries to be too many things.  It's still a pretty aggressive, high RPM prop but not quite as aggressive at the 2773.  For me I decided to put mine up for sale.  It's on eBay and the classifieds here.  Keeping the 2773 as my ultimate aggressive/back up prop.  Hopefully the 3065 comes through this spring.  I'll make sure to update this thread once I've tested it out.  

Edited by theloungelife
On 1/25/2022 at 3:46 PM, mobius481 said:

I just bought a 2249 for my new to me 2018 A22 with 409.  I was thinking this would be my every day prop.  I'm basically at sea level. Is that prop too aggressive or should I be okay?  

On our 18 T22 with the 409 we started with the 2773 and went to the 2249 to lower RPMs just a bit and still be able to run heavy. 

Edited by vanamp
7 hours ago, theloungelife said:

I ended up chatting with an engineer at Acme about all of this.  He said the 2249 and 2773 are kind of similar but the 2773 should have a little more hole shot with similar RPM.  This was my real life experience as well.  He suggested that I try out the 3065 to lower my rpms while still running a decent amount of ballast.  I just ordered one and am going to give that a go in the spring.  Really want to get down to lower 4000's at wakeboard speed, fully ballasted.  Might come down to running slightly less weight but we'll see.  My engine is at about 25 hours right now so maybe it will improve GPH as it continues to get used.  Right now fully ballasted wakeboarding, I'm crushing about 4-4.5 gallons for a 15 min set.  A lot more than I am used to from my 13' A22 LS3 (was about 2.5-3 gallons a set)

@Never I feel like the 2249 tries to be too many things.  It's still a pretty aggressive, high RPM prop but not quite as aggressive at the 2773.  For me I decided to put mine up for sale.  It's on eBay and the classifieds here.  Keeping the 2773 as my ultimate aggressive/back up prop.  Hopefully the 3065 comes through this spring.  I'll make sure to update this thread once I've tested it out.  

@theloungelife The 3065 looks like a 2773 with a different cup, maintaining the same 15 x 13 dimensions as the 2773.  Interesting that the Acme eng would propose that one could get RPM's down a measurable amount with just a cup change v a measurable pitch change.  Did they have any real world data or was it their calculations?

Edited by Never
add name

@Neverhe didn't run many through the calculations but I could tell he was thinking through them in his head.  I think if I could get down to 4300ish RPM at 23mph I'd be happy.  One thing we did talk a little bit about is that at the total weight these boats are pushing with dry weight + ballast, the 15" props are getting to a point where they don't quite cut it.  I don't know if we'll ever see > 15" on a 22' boat though.  I do wonder if an A24 could actually be more fuel eficient due to the 17" prop.  Depending where gas prices go, finding the right prop could add up to a lot of savings.

23 hours ago, theloungelife said:

@Neverhe didn't run many through the calculations but I could tell he was thinking through them in his head.  I think if I could get down to 4300ish RPM at 23mph I'd be happy.  One thing we did talk a little bit about is that at the total weight these boats are pushing with dry weight + ballast, the 15" props are getting to a point where they don't quite cut it.  I don't know if we'll ever see > 15" on a 22' boat though.  I do wonder if an A24 could actually be more fuel eficient due to the 17" prop.  Depending where gas prices go, finding the right prop could add up to a lot of savings.

@theloungelife Yeah, I'm thinking about both fuel consumption from a $ and time on the lake standpoint with the limited fuel capacity of the 22.  I don't mind taking a bit of extra time to get a rider up and out if we can get lower fuel consumption.  Our crew are all lightweights under 150lb (except me) so we won't be hurting with drag.  And we surf, wakeboard and ski (under 30 mph) so looking for that all around sweet spot.

We did consider the A24 with the LT4.  At 6,200' lake elevation I don't think the M6 would cut it with a loaded boat, no matter how it was proped.  

Given the ACME feedback, thinking we'll go with the 3065 and compare to the 2249 that is on it and then tweak from there.

• Like 1

Yeah the high elevation is tough.  Im in Utah at around 5500'.  Have the M6 in my A22.  It would be so fun to pull these boats down to a lake near sea level to see the difference.  Just a long drive to do so.

Sifting through the user data points on Props, the altitude is the differentiating factor.  I think the M5 would be fine in the 22 under 4,000', but it needs the M6 over that IMO.  Same with the A24, it would need the LT4 over 4,000' IMO.  Thus I ordered the 22 with the M6.

I've been on too many boats on Tahoe that were bought in CA that don't have enough engine in them and people get dragged a fair bit before the boat gets to speed.  Combine that with new riders or those trying new tricks and they get tired quickly from having their arms pulled off.

Where did you find the best deal on the 3065?  I'm seeing $893.00 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Hey all, just wanted to give an update on the Acme 3065.  Had it out the other day.  Lowered ballasted wakeboard RPMs about 150ish, so not a ton but something.  Still pulled great though, similar to the feel of the 2773.  

I'm changing my prop based on advice from Acme.  I currently have 2249 and changing to a 2277.  My goal is to lower RPM a little.  The difference between you and I is that I'm at sea level.  I'll let you know how it goes for me when I test it.  

58 minutes ago, PopsA22 said:

I'm changing my prop based on advice from Acme.  I currently have 2249 and changing to a 2277.  My goal is to lower RPM a little.  The difference between you and I is that I'm at sea level.  I'll let you know how it goes for me when I test it.  

definitely keep me updated.  I'm at sea level and ran around 3500 rpms surfing the other day and 4000 with the wedge (floating wedge).  Not sure if I need bow weight or what but I have a 2277 that I thought about putting on.  I just wasn't sure if it would have enough power but I'd love to run lower RPMs and get more top end speed.  I'm in a 2018 A22 with 409.  

20 hours ago, mobius481 said:

definitely keep me updated.  I'm at sea level and ran around 3500 rpms surfing the other day and 4000 with the wedge (floating wedge).  Not sure if I need bow weight or what but I have a 2277 that I thought about putting on.  I just wasn't sure if it would have enough power but I'd love to run lower RPMs and get more top end speed.  I'm in a 2018 A22 with 409.  

21 hours ago, PopsA22 said:

On my 2018 T22 with the 409 at sea level, and PW2 the 2277 was the perfect prop for me. I ran heavy and it always performed for wakeboarding and surfing.