Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

teak platform maintenance

After 10 years of light touch-ups of Deks Ole it is time to take it down for a total refinish.  I have two questions.  First is what level sandpaper should I be using so I don't damage the teak but still be effective?  And second is what do you all find to be the best product that brings out the color, and lasts the longest?  Any advice would be much appreciated.

I prefer to use a two-part chemical stripper and not sand unless I have to.  I like a coarse texture so it isn't as slippery.

I put Watco teak oil on mine years ago and only have to do a touch up every few months to cover new scuffs.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Terri said:

What two-part chemical stripper would you recommend?

I assume they are all chemically similar.  Semco, Te-Ka, Total Boat, West Marine, Star-Brite, etc.  Wear rubber gloves and follow the directions carefully.

Since  you have oil or varnish on the teak already you might want to use a chemical paint stripper first.  I have not used Citristrip Gel, but it gets good reviews.  I have a can of Klean-Strip that I have had around for years and only use it if I need help removing built-up layers.  I try to avoid chemical strippers, but a teak platform is worth doing correctly, and I would strip it first and then use the two-part stuff to get it bright before refinishing.

I'm not saying you can't sand it, since you certainly could do that.  I just happen to prefer the more textured feel and lack of sanding marks.

I like to use a (new) grill brush instead of sanding, keep it wet as you brush it.  Keeps a great texture and cleans it well.  Then I use Starbright teak oil.   Usually oil at the end of the weekend while it is on the lift and then it can soak in/dry during the week.  Reoil 2-3 times a year.